Badge engineered vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget GM's 'Theta' platform. While not direct rebadging, more of a joint effort, the platform found it's way into many a compact SUV.

Is this the same concept as John Deere putting their name on that subpar lawn equipment sold at Lowes?

Holden Suburban

holden_suburban_1998_suv_5d_519b.jpg

I think the Suburban was the only vehicle where the model name stayed the same across three brands (up to '99).

Interestingly, the Holden variant has a modified S-Series right hand drive dashboard.
IMG_0420_zps9355d07f.jpg

US model...
1999_chevrolet_suburban_4dr-suv_2500_d_oem_1_500.jpg

Holden Commodore - Pontiac G8, Chevrolet something now.
Holden Monaro - Pontiac GTO

Wish we had gotten more of the Holdens here.

Jaguar S Type - Lincoln LS (significantly decontented, though)

Originally Posted By: Win

I actually saw a Holden Commodore right here in Indiana. Probably the first and the last time too. It was from Illinois.

There's also the Vauxhall equivalents as well.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I actually saw a Holden Commodore right here in Indiana. Probably the first and the last time too. It was from Illinois.

There's also the Vauxhall equivalents as well.

Not saying it wasn't, but be advised it is a kid thing to strip the Pontiac fascia from the G8's (and GTO's) and put Holden fascia, hoods, and badges on them.

So, probably not.

This will probably be more common as the Pontiac parts become harder to source for these fairly obscure, and now old, cars.

Also, in a bizarre twist, Holden re badge engineered the Pontiac G8 for their home market. When the plug was abruptly pulled on the G8, Holden ran off all the remaining Pontiac parts (less the Pontiac badges) and sold them in the home market, and called it some variant of the Commodore, the name escapes me at the moment.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Nissan 350Z - Infiniti G35

There was one of those (Infiniti G35) abandon in the parking lot where I live for about a year!

Chevy Colorado/ GMC Canyon -> Isuzu i280,i290/i350,i370 - biggest difference they had longer powertrain warranties

Not saying it wasn't, but be advised it is a kid thing to strip the Pontiac fascia from the G8's (and GTO's) and put Holden fascia, hoods, and badges on them.

You can buy bumper stickers down here saying (in shorthand, without expletives)..."It's a Holden not a Chev"...kids put chev badges on the Commodores all the time, and it sucks.

When we were in DIsneyland, there was a guy we met on the steamtrain who took a whole heap of Holden badges with him and rebadged all his Chev hire cars (not permenantely), Impalas, etc.

the Current US version of the Commodore is 2(3) fold. There's the Caprice PPV, and the Civilian model the "SS" which is what the Current Chevy Nascar Bodies are Modeled on.

Caprice PPV

640px-2011_Chevrolet_Caprice_PPV_--_12-06-2010_front.jpg
640px-2011_Chevrolet_Caprice_PPV_--_12-06-2010_rear.jpg
ChevroletCapricePPV-01.jpg

Chevy SS

2014_Chevrolet_SS_front.png

Nascar Chevy SS

Jeff_Gordon%2C_2013_STP_Gas_Booster_500.JPG

I for one wish we could have gotten the Proposed "Pontiac G8ST" that have been proposed.. it would have been the US version of the Ute version. GM had even hinted of actually reviving the Chevy El Camino nameplate for the Ute after they dissolved Pontiac, but...so far no dice...

Pontiac G8 ST

640px-2010_Pontiac_G8_Sport_Truck.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone has done it at some point:
ferrari-dino-246-3.jpg

Lexus is a case study in successful badge engineering, something Hyundai really needs to read up on right now.

2003-2006_Toyota_Celsior.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys. Apparently the whole badge engineering thing is a world wide phenomenon! I wasn't really referring so much to platform sharing, just the "badge and grille" jobs. Some new-to-me model names have cropped up anyway, I'll be sure to Google them.

Someone commented the Mazda B series was originally a Ford - I've always thought it was the other way around? Back in the 90's when I worked on them, the Ford Courier had Mazda logos everywhere...and came to Oz fully imported from Japan.

Regarding the Pontiac G8 ST, known here as the Commodore SS Ute, it's pretty much the car of choice for the young guys who can afford it...they claim it's a 2 door coupe with a really big boot (trunk)!

Originally Posted By: hpb

Someone commented the Mazda B series was originally a Ford - I've always thought it was the other way around? Back in the 90's when I worked on them, the Ford Courier had Mazda logos everywhere...and came to Oz fully imported from Japan.

It's the other way around in the US. Our version of the Ranger was US designed and built. It came out in 1982 as a 1983 model and competed with the Japanese B-Series. Starting in 1994, Ford began rebadging Rangers as the B-Series for Mazda for the North American Market. They also built the Mazda Navajo, which was just a rebadged Explorer Sport.

The US version of the Ranger was also built and sold in much of South America up to 2012, but it was available with a crew cab and diesel engine options there. In South America though, the B-Series was never based on this platform except in maybe a handful of places.

Well there you go, learn something everyday! I find this stuff really interesting. Yes, I need to get out more! Our current Ford Ranger/Mazda BT50 models are built (I believe) in Thailand, but were engineered primarily by Ford Australia. I don't think they even have a petrol engine option any more, it's a choice of 2 diesels, 2.2 or 3.2 litre.

Ah yes, Tribute and Escape, I'd forgotten them. We also had the Daewoo Lacetti re-badged as the Holden Viva. Complete flops, both of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back