Bad pothole - Blown tire - Alignment Check?

This was on an interstate, in Philadelphia. Concrete bridge, probably spalled from cold/cracking/water/salt.

Not all that keen on repaired wheels - they could have had damage worse than mine... Repair is only as good as the repair company...

Used could have road rash or other damage, which none of my wheels have...

Last time I hit a big pothole on the highway it wrecked my outer tie rod ends. Not catastrophically, I could still drive the car, but it vibrated until I changed them. They were Made in USA Moog problem solvers with around 180K miles on them.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Not all that keen on repaired wheels - they could have had damage worse than mine... Repair is only as good as the repair company...

For as much as repaired wheels cost, you would think that they would be. New ones aren't always available.

This was on an interstate, in Philadelphia. Concrete bridge, probably spalled from cold/cracking/water/salt.

Used could have road rash or other damage, which none of my wheels have...

Well they repair your wheel that was damaged. If it's bent, they just heat it up and bend it back. Been driving on a few for a few years now. It's fine. It was a one man shop.

I don't do used wheels because of the road rash. On eBay and online, you have your choice of either replica or refurb oem. I've done both. First I got refurb oem ones, those also bent. I'm on replica OEM ones now. So far they haven't bent yet, but they're supposed to be similar to OEM and I haven't had them as long as the refurb OEM ones so I think it's just a matter of time. So I'd say they're the same. They both looked brand new though and no curb rash. Costco swapped out the rim and TPMS sensor for $20 including balancing.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Sounds like a Pot-hole that big/deep should have a 'name'.
Something like …. Ole Rufus

Once the Police followed me home around midnight.
They pulled into my driveway and said "we noticed you were swerving"
I told them, yes, I was driving around all the pot-holes.
They said, "and then you took off"
I told them, yes, I got past all the pot-holes.
They said, "good-by"

They wanted to make sure you were not impaired, by answering a few questions intelligently you demonstrated you weren't.

Interesting - thought that governments were immune from liability on road upkeep...

It's a tough spot to photograph - an interstate bridge exit in Philadelphia.

I hate Philadelphia's roads. I would be [censored] to pay road tax for them.

Although, I know you dont want to hear this, but the truth, it is all speculation. You will need to take it to an alignment shop. Otherwise you dont know what is off.

I would do a full inspection of everything on that side of the car. I hit a giant pot hole on a dark snow covered road on a ski trip. After I got home I took the wheel off and found a big bulge on the inside of the front tire, a broken spring and destroyed bump stop. The wheel was completely fine and luckily the tires were pretty new so I could get away without replacing all four (Audi a4 Quatro). After the springs (both sides to match) the alignment was still perfect. I have to give props to the Audi wheels (235/45 17) for no damage.

Would definitely have a shop probably a collision focused shop take a look at the suspension components at least. Chances are it’s nothing but a new wheel and tire+ alignment but I worked with a guy who blasted the front wheel of his Civic Type R into a curb block that fell off a truck onto the road about a week after he took delivery and what seemed like a simple deal turned into an insurance claim and a $3800 repair.

These cities don't have enough money to maintain the roads. Doubt they have enough to start paying people for this either.

Just saying, I’ve seen it done first hand around here, successfully at that.

These cities don't have enough money to maintain the roads. Doubt they have enough to start paying people for this either.
I would imagine all the damage cost done by potholes far exceeds the cost of fixing potholes.
Even if it just knocks your alignment off a little, the tires life will suffer.

Download and use see click fix, I’d look up on the app to see if that pothole was reported. If it was there, there are many areas where the town/government has a certain period of time to repair the road damage. If they exceed that timeline and the hole is still there they’re liable for the damage.

Last edited:
Back