Bad ECM???

1994 GMC K1500, 5.7 engine. Just put a new motor in it (less than 300 miles). It has a new fuel pump, new distributor (plugs, wires, rotor, cap) and too many other new things to mention. Also just replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor. The throttle body was replaced with a used one.

It runs rough and wants to stall for a couple of minutes when first started.Once it warms up, it runs great. It doesn’t throw any codes.

Wondering if it could be the ECM? Any thoughts????
Its almost certainly not the ECM. While its possible for an ECM to go bad, they typically fail catastrophically, not it runs rough and then runs great when warm. I still do tuning on these old GM OBD1 ECM/PCMs (been doing it since the late 90s) and aside from a bad write to a EPROM or FLASH chip, the computers almost never fail.

The CTS and the MAP can both cause rough running but not typically the way you are describing. Since you did an entire engine replacement, a damaged wiring harness somewhere is a likely culprit. Its odd that it runs rough cold and then no issues when warm, though, its usually the other way around as when the ECM is in open loop it is just using the open loop fueling tables. Once it goes into closed loop it starts using the O2 sensor and trying to compensate for any issues.

I know its not likely but if there is someone with a laptop, and OBD1 scanner, and a scan tool like Tunercats DATACAT program (its an updated version of the old TTS scan programs for GM OBD1) or a GM TECH1/2 you can use it look at the live data and see what is going on. Maybe its some timing issue that is causing it run poorly in open loop vs closed loop.

At the suggestion of a friend I did a GM TBI relearn procedure. Remove the negative cable for 20 minutes to erase codes. Reconnect cable. Start and run for three minutes. Turn off for one minute. Repeat 4 or 5 times. Will see in the morning if that did the trick.

Man....This could be a whole host of things.

Without some live data you're kinda shooting in the dark here, Does the mechanic have a compatible scan tool?

Fuel Pressure?

You stated it has a used Throttle Body? I have to rebuild the TB on about every one of these I work on.....New Injectors, Fuel Pressure Regulator Kit, Gaskets & Seals. Most times the IAC can be reused.

You can jump the Fuel Pump Relay to make to FP run continuously & watch for leaky Injectors or leaky O-rings.

A leaky EGR Valve will lower Manifold Vacuum, Low Manifold Vacuum will cause a Rich condition via the MAP Sensor.

Never figured out the problem. Sold the truck last week. Got all or most of what I had in it back.

Buying the son a car for college.

It’s very, very hard to kill an ECU. I’m thinking sensor issue as well.
Yes, generally speaking. They even survive careless handling.

Some Toyota ECU's are known to self-destruct to the point of giving people psychosis. Hopefully, these shortcomings have been addressed in the past 20 years.

ECU capacitor replacement is my next major project. The semiconductor shortage has a lot of replacement caps on +52 week BO.

Back