Back w another question...motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dunno about them as I have owned a Suzuki quad runner four wheeler that still will crank and run but I don't think I want a Suzuki on the back of my boat that I will have for a few decades.

My neighbor has one 140hp on his blazer bay 22' and Ge says it's good. I just would like to stick with what's widely used and popular down here.

That said there are slim sightings of both Suzuki outboards and Evinrudes.

Okay 1000+ people have viewed this thread but no one wants to state an opinion? Besides Tuffy from NY?

Come on I want some of your ideas or input?

Found out that the powder coated t-top 2 fishing from top tower is $4,500 on both the 22 and the 24.

That's a definite I am pretty sure when I do get this boat as it will be neat to see further and spot fish when I can't at normal level.

I have heard the 2nd station setups are fun to drive from but I think that would be a bit more out on price range to add a 2nd drive able station to the tower than just what Bluewave offers. But I bet it can happen.

The only thing about buying a bigger motor is that 6 months after purchase you won't be saying I wish I bought the bigger motor because this lesser motor really sucks.

With boats I've always thought that buying as much horsepower as you can is the way to go. Aside from the motor, getting the right prop on it for what your using the boat for is extremely important. Too many people buy a boat with a big motor and hate it because they have the wrong prop.

The right prop on a bigger motor will have more power and be more efficient than a smaller motor with the wrong prop.

At my age the boat I do chose will probably be just above what I can afford as one with a t top and the right HP and deal on that motor I can manage at the dealer will depict on the engines just like anyone's potential toy. Mercury's are great motors and so are the yamahas. I believe some of the parts in the top end for Mercury are made by Yamaha if I've not mistaken. What I might be able to be lucky with is a previous year model that isn't as costly as the one they will force to try to sell me. I won't need a 2016 yr model model that's for sure and if they allow one to have a motor from '14-15 they have still in storage and are trying to get rid of I'll work something out that way.

As for the Honda, evinrude, and zukes. The price is generally higher for their 250-300hp wayyyyymuch more than the merc and Yamaha.

I think when everything is tallied up WO the depth finder/fish/chartplotter and power pole and trolling motor I want the price will be around 53,000.

I'll have this boat in mind in my garage or a storage for boats around where I'll be living in pretty sure by Fall or thanksgiving of this year! If not wayyyy sooner.

Great point to make to me ironman... I'll definitely keep an eye and ask a lot of questions about that when I get closer to purchasing.

I thought this might interest you:

http://bluewaveboats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/BWB_2400PureBay_F300XCA_2013-04-24_BAY-2.jpg

I sold powerboats, including Blue Wave, for almost 20 years. Blue Wave is well built and have excellent hull designs. I prefer Yamaha over all other makers. I started selling them when they first came over in the mid 80's.

My advise would be to max out the power if it's within your budget. You don't realize how much weight you'll add to the boat with multiple batteries, chargers, troll motors, fuel, etc. By the way get a hydraulic jackplate adjustable from the helm.

With all your goodies aboard along with 3-4 people & their gear you'll never once wish for a smaller engine. As mentioned correct propping is essential. That's where a good dealer comes in.

Hole shot is not terribly important in a bay boat unless you fish the flats a lot (shallow). Hydraulic trim tabs will take care of that along with the jackplate. If you fish on shallow flats only then you need to be looking at a tunnel hull anyway.

Good luck with that 53000$ idea...
if your gonna go with the tower, you will need max HP... and a very serious prop... heard a few rumors of 250 optimax pro xs motors in florida new for 14500$$...
I do like the looks of these boats... that performance with a 300 is pretty good... you will notice it had a hydraulic jackplate... I would look at 4 or 5 blade props if it was my choice... trim tabs good option too... gotta get one of the multifunction gauges all the brands offer...
I would sell the farm for a G2 on one of these. Like the trim and steering features... oil tank under the cowl... quiet shifting... the color options nice too...

Last edited:
Thanks Texas and tuffy. Yeah good points most areas are shallow and surely don't need to run agroundz. Been there done that in a Jonboat not fun... Not great for that prop.

For the t top yeah definitely the weight that they are the300 should be on it...

Or go the route of no top. And either get a fold away or not for ist the 22'.

The gas info power bulletin I have seen and looked over amongst the yam and the two zukes, a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Texas... Yeah it's a chance. But how would it handle choppy water up to three feet or other boats that make big big wakes when they aren't considerate?

Big water is key, but not the gulf. Wind can and rain can make fishing terrible for any fisherman!!!

Space enough for for to five people fishing for specs, reds, and whatever fun fighting fish is the key without everyone getting in the way!

So if the 22 or 24'. I will max the power on the 24' or get the 250 4.3 or 3.3. As for the 22'. 250 or 225 propped right like y'all say and trim tabs and jack plate on either choice. Atlas that is with dash controls on both. And of course the 10 or 8 ft power pole.

Props with internal hubs, obviously, due to under water obstructions as well. I figured out the hard way about AL PROP on a different boat. But that's why those are just around $100. Soon enough maybe a decent depth finder at controls for it.

For the only other option for not getting a fiberglass boat for myself. Is this kick butt beast.

2170. It won't break when taking wakes and its plenty roomy, but without a great fish box. Bream beds and all can get the limit quite easily. I will be happy with it for starters to the 150 class merc or yammy. Because 45-55 if it can go that fast is fine in my mind. Even if it can go just 45 at WOT. It's got a 16gal tank or better I believe. I would have to just keep an eye on the gal per hour and all, too. Or keep a spare tank on board.

Thanks for the input on the 20 footer 2000.

You REALLY need to find the right boat for the type of fishing you plan to do. Currently you are all over the place. Where will you fish? If it's 3' or less then you need a tunnel. If that depth is a rarity then any of those you described initially will work with adaptations like tabs, hydraulic plate, and a four or five blade prop..... STAINLESS STEEL not aluminum. A shoal will tear up an aluminum prop in a heartbeat. An SS prop might get dinged but is repairable and will get you home. Always carry a spare and the tools to change a prop.

A tunnel is less efficient than a standard hull design so maxing out the horsepower is a must. The advantage is that, with practice, you can take off in 24" of water or less. Figure out what/when/where you are going to fish the most then buy the hull design that works for that type of fishing.

Forget top speed, there will be perhaps 2 out of 10 trips where you can actually open it up. Obviously when it does get rough and you need to head for the pier the 24 footer will do a better job.

How will you fish and in what depths? THAT is the key to getting the right hull design.

Tuffy ... I've already been looking at the 2170. I've seen one in person at a dealer in MS. It was a cool setup boat.. I mentioned to salesmen ad they said well we have a customer's boat in for service, so they me look at it as see how I would really like it..

As for seeing one 2015 or a 2016 model since the one I already have seen. I'm going to go see one of them soon. We already have a war eagle since living off the MS river and fishing the oxbows. That was just a great boat and still is yet just not fun when the option is to go with the 2170 with motor 150hp inline merc or yam is more reasonable for now. The hulls are welded and it is a beast. I enjoy the little 14' but it's only great for the back water fishing on non windy days. The 2170 would be better for now. Later I can get the bluewave 22' or 24'. Two boats for dual purpose. Right?! :)

Well, it's because I have the option to live in two different areas. One is for lakes and freshwater. The bay boat would be a no brainer for the gulf but just for not being caught in choppy water in the bay and certain fishing holes and rivers. not out in the big water past the barrier islands.

Both kinds of fishing down here is fun. 29,000 vs a 40-50k boat may just have to happen later. All depends on location for me. Il leave it at that.

Thanks for al the advice. Very much appreciated.

Yeah it's hard to understand my dilemma. Don't need to go into much detail, seriously.

Last edited:
You have to catch lots of fish to pay off the boat with the savings from eating the fish!
sick.gif

Well, half the fun is cruising. The 2170 is built tough. It could be a great boat for the upper parts of the bay.

The coast the deepest I have been told is 7-10 feet since it's a shallow bay. The small rivers off of it can get down to 3ft, but with a great chart plotter depth finder/fish finder that can be avoided to keep from hitting oyster beds and such.

The 22' bluewave would be great bay boat for me by this fall. I wouldn't bother with the t-top unless I find exactly what I think is ideal for being caught in the rain and that provides some shelter. The draft of the 22 and 24' is somewhere in the range of 12-14inches. And with a good atlas jack plate which would be a ten inch setback.

A quote I used for my senior quote in high school was - " if people were more concerned with the more important things in life... There would be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larsen

One the prettiest girls in my senior class that her boyfriend now husband that is a big outdoorsman said, " I don't get it."

Tuffy... They don't sell those boats down here anywhere. Just Wisconsin and the other state it listed on its site.

For the "all over the place" fishing.

It's that the aluminum boat would be around $30k. The bay boat $40k+..
I would love to really have a great boat for both worlds. Freshwater backwater and rivers. The bay boat for open water and tributaries.
The 2170 would probably be the first purchase. The 22' bluewave with the 3.3yammy sometime after. The VSHO engine might not happen. The Mercury or 3.3 Yamaha for the bay.

The 2170. A Mercury or the inline 4 Yamaha...Depends on the price from where I get it.

For me to really appreciate both and not mind the cost. An idea that came to mind 3-4yrs ago that I should have acted on back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back