Back on a bike.

I used to commute on my old Avanti 12 speed, and bash around our local tracks, but then worked further away and stopped riding. Over Covid I though I should get the bike out again, but it has a bent rear wheel, and I'm not going to fix an old worn out bike. I got another station wagon last year, and higher than the old Volvo...I figure a bike would fit in there with the front wheel dropped out, and then I could take a bike to the many cycle trails in our area.

I looked at a few budget bikes, and not impressed, then I came across this in the next town. It's Australian, alloy frame and good quality components, just a commuter bike, but good enough for gravel trails. First ride around the lake this morning after 10 years off a bike - the bike is great ! I am not ! I walk a lot, but this takes a lot more out of me...so looking forward to getting fitter. Padded pants coming soon too !

20230104_171138.jpg

It had only been ridden twice since it was a Xmas gift last year...and there was a ladies one too. I took mine home and showed the wife, so we went back and got the other one for her. We'll gift our old '80's era bikes to the local bike guy.

20230104_184127.jpg

Great to get back on a bike. They look nice and should do well for you. Don't go until you're tired, you have to get back!

You do want to avoid the gears yours is in, big front/big back it puts too much stress on the derailleur.

Make sure you follow through with a padded pant set up. I have chamois but for mtb prefer boxer style with padded. Gotta watch out for "sleepy pepe!!" Keep riding and extend the distance and your legs will respond with increased stamina. Enjoy and keep riding.

@BISCUT You mentioned padded shorts in reference to limp trouser trout then show links to different saddles. No idea what a DCJS is but I do know what I've learned from 35 years of serious bike riding.

1. Before buying any other equipment get the seat height, for/aft position, and attitude correct. A saddle too high or tipped up in front will cause physical problems padded knickers or not. A properly set up bike will not, with or without padded shorts. For new riders this should be easy today online, I haven't needed to look.

2. Ride the bike starting out easy to get familiar and comfortable with it. Don't go too far. Come back and make an adjustment if something doesn't feel good. I still do this. New riders are going to have a sore butt - padding and different saddles aren't going to change that, the tissue that you sit on has to get used to it. Nothing wrong with getting padded shorts of some kind but the butt will still be sore at first. If a new person rides regularly the soreness will go away and some fitness will be gained. If a person just rides casually on a bike path once a week the butt will never get conditioned and a big cushy seat would be an option and padded short not necessary.

Agree with you finding the perfect saddle is a process and IMO not necessary for someone starting out.

3. Don't grind your wife into the ground and make her hate riding. I've seen it happen too much. There are 2 kinds of riding, with wife and without wife.

@Motu, have fun with your bikes, take the time to get them set up.

@BISCUT You mentioned padded shorts in reference to limp trouser trout then show links to different saddles. No idea what a DCJS is but I do know what I've learned from 35 years of serious bike riding.

1. Before buying any other equipment get the seat height, for/aft position, and attitude correct. A saddle too high or tipped up in front will cause physical problems padded knickers or not. A properly set up bike will not, with or without padded shorts. For new riders this should be easy today online, I haven't needed to look.

2. Ride the bike starting out easy to get familiar and comfortable with it. Don't go too far. Come back and make an adjustment if something doesn't feel good. I still do this. New riders are going to have a sore butt - padding and different saddles aren't going to change that, the tissue that you sit on has to get used to it. Nothing wrong with getting padded shorts of some kind but the butt will still be sore at first. If a new person rides regularly the soreness will go away and some fitness will be gained. If a person just rides casually on a bike path once a week the butt will never get conditioned and a big cushy seat would be an option and padded short not necessary.

Agree with you finding the perfect saddle is a process and IMO not necessary for someone starting out.

3. Don't grind your wife into the ground and make her hate riding. I've seen it happen too much. There are 2 kinds of riding, with wife and without wife.

@Motu, have fun with your bikes, take the time to get them set up.

Should have elaborated....Meant to say chamois/padding along with proper saddle is important. Simplified there. You are absolutely correct on fit and that can be quite the rabbit hole. Been down there on MTB but the biggest frustration for me was my road bike (Trek DOmane SLR) and dealing with a custom road/gravel frame I had built by Kish. Fitting for some (me) is an extended process. I would fit a 55 just right but 54 to small and 56 a-ok but I have to shorten stem length down for sure. Took a while to get the right combo and saddles...oh my the time to get one that is just right for your arse. Can be a rather frustrating process.

DCJS sets LE training standards in NY and that includes the curriculum for bike patrol certification. In my class they had a segment on "sleepy pepe" which included the recommendation for padded briefs. They did not recommend chamois.

Hope that helps.

Agreed when it comes to big miles and long hours, not so important to weekend riders. I'm not as sensitive to saddle brand as position. Way BITD a guy who road mtbs a lot got a road bike and went on a 45 mile ride with us without sorting the bike out. He had a numb unit for a few days after the ride and never road a road bike again, sold it. We warned him. :oops::ROFLMAO:

Agreed when it comes to big miles and long hours, not so important to weekend riders. I'm not as sensitive to saddle brand as position. Way BITD a guy who road mtbs a lot got a road bike and went on a 45 mile ride with us without sorting the bike out. He had a numb unit for a few days after the ride and never road a road bike again, sold it. We warned him. :oops::ROFLMAO:

True. You're lucky! I'm very sensitive to saddle and position on road/gravel bikes but much less sensitive on Mtb's. I also spend a lot more time out of the saddle whereas on road bikes I'm more of a stationary grinder. One thing is a fact; bikes are awesome.

I'm not a new rider, but coming back to a bike after a few years not riding, and a more modern one than I have used before. I bought the padded underwear before I got the bicycle - I got them for my motorcycle. After a long ride the other day I had a pretty sore butt...I just used to ride through this stuff, tough guys do that. But at 69 I realise fatigue compromises my ability to stay safe, other riders talk about cycle shorts to help on long rides, so ordered some....a couple of days later I got a bicycle.

... 3. Don't grind your wife into the ground and make her hate riding. I've seen it happen too much. There are 2 kinds of riding, with wife and without wife. ...
My wife and I have been riding a road tandem for over 20 years. I can attest to this good advice.

Back