B-17 and B-25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
How wonderful that the gun turrets were retained!

I am surprised in today's PC climate.

They've been ADDING back the original turrets as they can be found/restored on lots of B-17s and other bombers like B-26s and A-26s. Most of the ones that survived were converted to forest-fire bombers in the 50s and 60s and had all the military gear stripped out. When 'Sentimental Journey' was first restored to a museum airplane, she only had 1 turret as I recall. But they've found enough parts to fully equip her now. I think "Thunderbird" has added the top turret since I saw her years ago, too.

All of my great uncles served in WWII, so I was immersed in the knowledge and stories of WWII and what went on. That, and they all lived around Green Bay, WI, so we always went to the EAA museum everytime our family visited. I've been on a B-17, but haven't flown in one. I've developed a huge admiration and respect for those guys who flew them, the people who built them, and the effort that supported them. To this day, if I hear the drone of an old radial engine in the sky, I'm out the door to see what it is! We recently had a B-17 and a B-25 here and they made several flights over my house at a pretty low altitude. To imagine that 12,000 of them were built and flying is amazing.

Nothing beats the sound of an old WWII bomber.

This is how my great uncle always was - he had terrible memories of WWII, and always "said" he liked to keep them to himself, but once you got him going, he'd get very emotional and tell stories. It was good for him I think, to get the emotion out.

To think that this history is slowly but surely being lost, saddens me.

My uncle flew a Douglas A-26 Invader near the end of WWII.
Those planes were so good, they used them in various services for 30 more years, until they simply could not be repaired anymore.

The Chicago Air and Water Show always brings the coolest airplanes of all sorts in the Suburban skies. They come out here often for turnarounds.

My Dad was a side gunner in a B-17 and flew in bombing missions from England to Italy. He passed away in 1974 and I miss him and the stories he use to tell. That was a very special generation.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
My Dad was a side gunner in a B-17 and flew in bombing missions from England to Italy. He passed away in 1974 and I miss him and the stories he use to tell. That was a very special generation.

here here.
11.gif

The work ethic my great uncles had was astounding from their experience in WWII. 12 hour days was a break. Today's kiddies whine if they have to work over 40 hours a week.

I have two B17 stories.

I had just been stationed at RAF Mildenhall in 1981. They had an airshow every year during the spring. While at the Friday afternoon/evening fly-in for the Sat/Sun show, I saw a naked B17 fly in and taxi to park. It was AWESOME! I was pretty close when it parked, and walked up closer before they put a cordon around it. It was popping anc crackling as it cooled, and I could feel the heat radiating off the engines. I was even able to wipe my fingers in the oil on the #1 nacelle aft of the exhaust. Man, what a treat!

Then, years later at Scott AFB in IL, I was on my way around the runway to go home to eat lunch. Imagine my surprise (and double-take) as I glanced down the runway and saw a B17 on it! The Memphis Belle was travelling and stopped on base to get fuel. They had to give walk-thru's at $10 a pop to make gas money. They got ten of my dollars. I was surprised at how small they are inside. I couldn't imagine going into combat with that thin aluminum skin between me a all that was bad. Big salute to all that flew in them.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Sweet!!! I saw FiFi with the Confederate Air Force in Lawton a couple of years ago. Too cool.

I was really surprised at how small FiFi is. When you see the B-29's on TV, they look pretty imposing. They are a dinky airplane by today's standards.

Can't imagine the type of guts and stamina it would take to fly one of those over a thousand miles of open ocean to Japan, and then fly back to some flyspeck island in the middle of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back