B-17 and B-25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's something you don't see every day! This weekend my wife and I were inside cooking dinner when I heard the sound of big radial engines. I took off running for the door, yelling at her, "There's something pretty in the air!!! Come quick!" What can I say, they're like the sound of a Siren to me.

I was totally right, by the time I was outside, a B-17 was on approach into the airport here in College Station. Naturally, we put dinner on hold and drove over there. The B-17 and a B-25 were parked next to the General Aviation terminal, and we were able to wonder around and talk to the crew. I figured they were in for a football game flyover, and I was right. The pilot said they'd be loitering around South CS before the game, which is great, since that is where we live.

Got a few pictures, nothing great. They flew over the house a few times, nice and low, but then circled out further and further before coming back for the game. I didn't get any good shots of them over the house, man that would have been cool. Anyhow, here you go:

B-17 and B-25 in and over B/CS
IMG_20100904_153314.jpg

robert

Yep great old birds we had one a 17 at our small airport here years ago took some footage of it flying over head.

That's "Thunderbird" from the Lone Star Flight Museum. Great looking bird. The last time I saw her in person she was doing a heavy bomber tribute flight with 'Sentimental Journey' from Arizona and 'Texas Raiders' from Midland at an airshow in San Marcos. One B-17 is awesome, but I'll never forget the sound 3 in the air at once. Of course my folks remember hearing them by the dozens at a time training for deployment to Europe in WWII, and my uncle was a gunner on a B-24 near the end of the war.

here's my favorite clip featuring "Texas Raiders:" :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFD0Zyl_f0

about 10 years ago I was in orlando, poolside at a rsort with my kids. I heard a very unique airplane engine. I looked up and 3 P-51 Mustangs passed in formation overhead. Never heard one before, boy did they sound great

Very nice, 44Magnum! Man, that's a classic commercial, from back when we weren't afraid to call them the Confederate Air Force (yes, I am still bitter about the renaming).

I haven't seen them in a while, but there used to be a B-17, a B-24, and assorted fighters from a CAF wing in San Marcos, I think, that would fly around Austin every few months. My office was on their usual flight path. You are absolutely right, when they fly in groups it is just amazing sounding. Three B-17s in the air at once is pretty huge, given that there are only a handful left airworthy in the world!

If you've never made it out to the Georgetown air show, you ought to!

robert

Originally Posted By: raaizin
about 10 years ago I was in orlando, poolside at a rsort with my kids. I heard a very unique airplane engine. I looked up and 3 P-51 Mustangs passed in formation overhead. Never heard one before, boy did they sound great

"P-51 Mustang. Cadillac of the Sky!"

I recently attending an air show hoping for a B-17 to be there. They did however have a B-25 they also flew in the show.

My grandfather was part of a weather squadron that used B-17's for weather recon and likely other purposes during World War II. He talked pretty sadly about it as he remembers only 25% returning to base and losing lots of friends.

Amazing in my opinion. My cousin was a tail gunner in a B-24 Liberator during WWII and was shot down and spent time in a POW camp.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Has any body been to the Reno Air Races ?

I haven't YET. But I would love to go some year.

robert

They usually have a flight of WWII craft here at the annual show at Nellis. A couple of B-17's is usually among them. The drone of the old rotary engines is amazing.

Sweet!!! I saw FiFi with the Confederate Air Force in Lawton a couple of years ago. Too cool.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Very nice, 44Magnum! Man, that's a classic commercial, from back when we weren't afraid to call them the Confederate Air Force (yes, I am still bitter about the renaming).

I haven't seen them in a while, but there used to be a B-17, a B-24, and assorted fighters from a CAF wing in San Marcos, I think, that would fly around Austin every few months. My office was on their usual flight path. You are absolutely right, when they fly in groups it is just amazing sounding. Three B-17s in the air at once is pretty huge, given that there are only a handful left airworthy in the world!

If you've never made it out to the Georgetown air show, you ought to!

robert

The CAF B-24 (Diamond Lil) is based out of Midland along with the B-29 (FiFi). FiFi just got new engines, by the way- specially built from two different versions of the R-3350, built a little like the air racer "Rare Bear's" engine. Way more reliable than the original R-3350s she had- those things were time bombs.

San Marcos is home to 'The Yellow Rose' (a B-25) and a P-39 Aircobra, plus a few trainers I think. A co-worker used to crew on 'Yellow Rose' from time to time.

I've never made it to the Georgetown show or even the hangar to see the stored CAF planes- I really need to do that. I missed my chance when Lefty Gardner's P-38 lived there... now its been restored and sent to Austria and I'll probably never see it again.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Here's something you don't see every day!

Funny you should say that. Some weeks I see a B-17 or a B-25 flying over our house nearly every day! These flying museum pieces are housed at the Yankee Air Museum nearby in Ypsilanti's Willow Run Airport, where the B-24 bombers were originally built.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

The CAF B-24 (Diamond Lil) is based out of Midland along with the B-29 (FiFi). FiFi just got new engines, by the way- specially built from two different versions of the R-3350,

I've never made it to the Georgetown show or even the hangar to see the stored CAF planes- I really need to do that. I missed my chance when Lefty Gardner's P-38 lived there... now its been restored and sent to Austria and I'll probably never see it again.

Ah yeah, FiFi is a sight to see in the air. Amazing.

Yeah, it is too bad about Lefty's P-38. I am glad it is in good hands, it does look rather amazing right now, but I wish it were still in Texas. The P-38 is probably my favorite of the fighters.

robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back