B-12 and the "LUV" Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings and good morning to all in the land of "Bitgo," the great and powerful.

Here's what happened. One bright and sunny day in the not too distant past, I decided to add the ever popular "Berryman's B-12 Chemtool" to the soon to be world famous "LUV" Machine.

For those of you who have not followed the on-going saga, the "LUV" Machine is a 1986 Chevy Astro Van with the 4.3 liter V-6. Said van is beaten, bent, rusted and well worn. It currently lives, moves and has it's being as a farm mule and never ventures out onto the highways and byways of the bigger world, but remains on the farm like "Boxer" in "Animal Farm." (Picture below should help create a "mental picture" which is fitting, given driving said "LUV" Machine can cause one to go "mental").

2d9woer.jpg

You're impressed, I'm sure.

I have tried "Berryman's B-12 Chemtool" in other machines and vehicles and have been very impressed with the results. So, in my happy reasoning, I reasoned it would work well as well in the "LUV" Machine. So I added it to the fuel.

Talk about power! The "LUV" Machine has never ran so well before, (at least not since I've had it). Fast cranking, get up and go, run like a sewing machine results soon followed the addition of the B-12 to the fuel bucket.

However, as the "LUV" Machine drank it's power elixir, I couldn't help but notice a noticeable increase in idle speed, as in a significant increase in idle. It started to idle so high the only way to drive it around the farm was with my foot on the brake. YIKES AND AWAY!!! The brakes are none too good on the "LUV" Machine, so this was creating a problem.

I started ruminating on what to do. Surely once the gasoline energy drink was gone, idle would return to normal. But in the meantime, how could I cut the idle down to the point I could drive without constantly using the brakes.

Solution: The PVC line has been disconnected since the van came my way. For the longest time, it simply had a piece of window screen jammed in the hose and a piece of window screen jammed where the PVC valve formerly lived in the valve cover. Hey, it worked. But about a year ago, I decided to give it fresher air by running the hose over the dash and across the hood, using a pair of panty hose as a filter. (If you look at the front bumper in the picture, you can see it hanging down below the bumper on the passenger side).

What I did to cut the idle was to remove said panty hose filter and install a water valve at the end of the hose that I could open and close and thereby adjust the idle, (some people call it a "faucet," it's the kind you have on your house that you hook to your garden hose, or you hook your garden hose to it depending on your point of view). I works really well. With my valve, I can cut the idle down and run without having to ride the brakes.

Now, I assumed once the B-12 had made it's way through the innards of the fuel system and done it's job, the idle would return to the way it was before.

But nooooooooooooo. Three tanks of fuel later, it's still running strong. If I remove the water valve, the idle increases to the point "Scotty" on "Star Trek" is yelling about his bearings.

What would be causing this, (the high idle, not Scotty yelling)? Did the B-12 do such a great job at cleaning that this high idle is now the norm? Will my "faucet" idle control eventually cause my engine to implode?

Inquiring minds are looking for opinions.

OMG!
That thing would look at home in any third-world location we've ever visited.
WRT to the Berryman's, I'd bet that it dissolved something that plays a role in controling idle.

Does your van has a good old fashioned carburetor or a throttle body injection????

Either way I think that the B12 cleaned the throttle body and now you have extra air, but that air is accounted for by the carburetor or by the computer since you don't have low power because of a poor mixture. Maybe you only need to adjust the idle position of the throttle plate.

Also there is a possibility that the idle air control valve is stuck but I don't know if engines of that era used those controls.

Do you have some sort of barn to park your van or what happens when it is raining???

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Does your van has a good old fashioned carburetor or a throttle body injection????

Do you have some sort of barn to park your van or what happens when it is raining???

It has a throttle body.

Yes, two barns. The tractor lives in one, (known by all as "'D" the Mighty"), all my "working man" stuff is in the other. When it rains, the "LUV" Machine gets a bath. As far as operator comfort is concerned, note the cardboard seat cushion which is interchangeable in the event of wetness.

Quote:
When it rains, the "LUV" Machine gets a bath. As far as operator comfort is concerned, note the cardboard seat cushion which is interchangeable in the event of wetness.

thumbsup2.gif

Nothing like reusable seat cushions from recyclable materials.
grin2.gif

32.gif
The perspective has half to do with it but that van looks SHORT! Hardly any overhang over the front or rear axles. What a minivan should be. Honda et al could learn from this for the next odyssey jelly bean blob.

Also the Outline White Letter tyre reminds me of the A-team van.
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back