Axle oil : Are Synthetic better then Mineral oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

I am pretty clear about arguments for & against these for use in engine. But in axle in hot tropic climate? Please enlighten me.

Thanks.

I believe synthetics out perform dino oils and don't need to be changed as often. My 06 GMC Yukon has all synthetic axle & diff lube and I converted the tcase to mobil1 synthetic as well. I would recommend synthetics in axle applications because of their excellent resistance to heat. Check the redline oil website at redline oil dot com they have a good selection.

Pablo,

Educate us if you can. I was under the assumption that this is one area where there is data to support the idea that synthetic gear/transmission oils do improve MPG (truck fleets, etc.)over dinos. Or, am I mistaken?

doitmyself,
I had some increase with Amsoil 80w-90 over Castrol 80w-90. Two identical highway trips with Amsoil 5w-30, Castrol 80w-90, and Citgo ATF, yielded an average of 25.5 mpg both trips. Then, after replacing the Castrol 80w-90 with Amsoil 80w-90, I averaged 26.8 mpg on another identical trip, and 26.3 mpg on the next identical trip. Nothing else changed, except it was February instead of January.

In theory (I don't have some magic pile of data) synthetic driveline oils should give a MPG gain. Especially in winter with appropriate viscosity "retention" (vs. gear oil molasses)

Also, since you were wanting to know about transmission oils as well, I meant to add in April, after I changed my ATF to Amsoil ATF, I averaged 28 mpg on the same trip. Only change was the months and the ATF.

benjamming,
That would be the best comparison, I just haven't done anymore long highway trips since April 05. Though I want to get the service life, and money's worth, out of my Amsoil first, then I'll go back and do some more gas mileage comparisons between the two.

The first three trips (August, September and October 2004), before I put Amsoil in anything, I averaged ~26 mpg on each one. I would consider that a pretty good baseline for comparison, and that was probably before the winter fuel blend.

I too heard that synthetic gear oil can help slightly with gas mileage. Since it's only 2 quarts for each RWD I own, plus it lasts a long time between drains, this brings more bang for the buck. I heard OEM is using it to boost CAFE for the same reason as using 5W-20 in the engine.

Normally I'm not a synthetic user, but this is one application where it makes good sense to use synthetic.

Thanks for the replies so far. So it's a general agreement that Synthetic can give better mileage but what about gear protection?

On a different note. Would using heavier weight oil in the manual transmission/transfer case give poorer mileage as well?

b.rgds

Synthetics generally lower oil temp about 20 F on the average and resist high temperature shear, which helps lower wear.

And of course, the cold temperature fluidity allows lubrication to occur when the temp drops below freezing.

Quote:

Pablo,

Educate us if you can. I was under the assumption that this is one area where there is data to support the idea that synthetic gear/transmission oils do improve MPG (truck fleets, etc.)over dinos. Or, am I mistaken?

I am getting 1.8mpg increase average with my 2006 YukonXL Denali with synthetics in the entire drivetrain except the DEXVI in the trans.(which is close to a syn) I just drove from Cleveland to Key West and back so my calculations are correct. I am amazed that ALL the automakers don't factory fill with syn.
smirk.gif

Guys, the OEM's are just now waking up to synthetics for everyday passenger cars to increase CAFE MPG results. Most of those decisions to use expensive lubricants are made by executives who are 55+ years old and synthetics are bad juju to them. I'm 53 and I talk to these guys everyday and sometimes I'll ask them about Mobil1 and they will say "that's for Corvettes"...then I just drop it.

Ever notice more synthetic transmission fluids are available and being used now?

Ever notice transmission shops not as busy as they used to be?

Hmmmm.....

Quote:

Quote:

Pablo,

I am getting 1.8mpg increase average with my 2006 YukonXL Denali with synthetics in the entire drivetrain except the DEXVI in the trans.(which is close to a syn) I just drove from Cleveland to Key West and back so my calculations are correct. I am amazed that ALL the automakers don't factory fill with syn.
smirk.gif

what brand & visc. are you using ?, sounds like a decent gain.

My brother switched to synthetics in most of his farm equipment over a 3 year period. The one thing he keeps mentioning is the lower oil temperatures even after several hours of continual running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back