Average Engine Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
The underlying theme of most of the discussion this forum seems to be how to keep an engine going as long as possible. This brings up a question. What is the average lifespan (in miless) of a gasoline powered passenger vehicle (I'll leave diesels out of it for now, because that number would get skewed by over the road trucks).

Now, obviously, not all cars die from oil, or even engine related problems (I would think collisions would be the number one cause of death). But even so, it would be interesting to know this number.

And the information must be out there. The various state DMVs probably collect it when the title transfers to a scrapper. Anyone have any idea what it is?

I heard that the average lifespan of a car is 170,000 miles. Thats the whole car, not the engine. But I heard that from a car dealership sponsored advertisement on TV. So I dont really believe it. My guess would be the average car lasts 100K. My parents have a 1983 nissan sentra wagon that has 93K miles and the engine is still pretty solid, but the rest of the car is crapping out. They also had a 1985 Dodge Lancer 2.2L that my grandmother bought new. A piston separated from the crankshaft with 80K miles. $2500 fatal repair. Recently my friend's 1991 Nissan pickup threw a rod at about 120K miles, much to my surprise.

Another tricky thing is the fact that when the average person buys a new car, most of them take very good care of it for the first few years, but then when it gets above 100,000 miles, I'm sure a lot of people get bored with it and don't even bother getting the oil changed very often, so they end up going 15,000 miles on dino oil, with a clogged up oil filter and a badly out of tune engine.

So a lot of engine's lives could be extended simply by people taking the same care of them after the 100k mark as they did at the beginning.

So in other words, the average life of a BITOG reader's engine is going to be much greater. AFAIK, not a single person on here has blown an engine since they've visited here (I'm sure a few have blown some engines in the past before they found this place though) It'll be interesting to see who the first one to blow an engine will be. Hopefully not me!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
In Pennsylvania, rust usually gets 'em, before the engines die.

grin.gif
We just trade the Southerners our nice engines for their nice sheetmetal.
Kinda depends on the car, but I come under the 150k or so voter. I had a Lincoln that I put 153k on and it ran fine with a head gasket replacement and new trans during that time. Guy in my Ranger club lives in Michigan and has a 2.9 Ranger with over 300k on it, never been apart, and it gets nothing but Valvoline and Frams.
shocked.gif
lol.gif
It looks every bit of the 300k too.
grin.gif

That's an interesting question Mike.

You mentioned DMV records. It would also be interesting to see average car life by state. I wonder if there would be some corolation between weather and car life on a state level basis?

Where I live, rust isn't an issue and cold weather isn't rough on engines. My impression is that most cars here get a one way trip to the junk yard for somewhat loosly defined reasons. Usually because the owner no longer feels it's worthwhile keeping it operable and or presentable. I think the desision to scrap is often made because of one moderately expensive problem on top of several existing annoyances that the owner was tolerating because they didn't stop the car.

One time, on ebay...

I saw an auction for 8 crown victoria taxi cabs. All 8 sold for a total of $8500. They had an average of 350,000 miles on them. I wonder how many intake manifolds they went through!

Average life of engines I have owned.
Triumph TR3 Died at 100,000
Saab 4 cyl Died at 90,000
Ford V8 Died at 80,000
Chev V8 Died at 150,000
Mercedes 300D Sold at 280,000 likly still around
Toyota Cressida 250,000 still runs as new
I am guessing for a Japannese engine or Mercedes Diesel the life would be 300,000 +
For most others 150,000 is about average.

I know the average Volvo has a life expectancy of over 18 years. And Volvo will tell you their engines are at least 1/4 million milers. All I know I got 283,000 out of first motor and my body is still mint. 500,000 miles is not that far off.
It still comes down to owner care of the car that makes the differance. Look at the mileage most of the posters on this board or a Volvo message board have on their cars. I know the average mileage on cars owned by posters on the Brickboard & Turbobricks is close to 200K miles.

I have 116k miles on my 92 mits mirage. I want to get to 250k miles at least with no rebuild. I figure it will take me another 10-12 years. anyone think I can make it? my last UOA, my lead was 14 ppm/3k miles
shocked.gif

I agree that years is a better yardstick. I doubt anyone in the "High mileage clubs" does it with 3-5 mile trips.

Well, I decided to use miles because that's how everyone seems to talk about car/engine life. And yes, I know that you'd get radically different engine lives based on different driving styles, etc..

I wouldn't mind seeing it both ways (miles vs years), but I would be nice to know if a car has lasted "longer than average", and by how much.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
I agree that years is a better yardstick. I doubt anyone in the "High mileage clubs" does it with 3-5 mile trips.

A note on volvo's....

Some of the 2004 R engines don't make it 150 miles...rod bearing failure at around 15-20 miles, engine seizes, new short block required.

Of course if you make it past 150 miles, your golden.

http://www.swedespeed.com
http://www.volvospy.com

I'm at 30 years on my 74 pontiac now, with over 20 of those years spent OUTSIDE, either covered (car cover) or uncovered (exposed).

Biggest enemy is rust, as the car now has to be repainted every 5 or so years. (Bubbles start poppin up).

Still gets better mileage then most suv's with its 6.6 liter.
smile.gif

rolleyes.gif
I question your basic assumption. The point of these discussions IMO is how smart I am because I use a better oil that lets me use a longer OCI yet keeps my engine in pristine condition.

As you point out the average lifetime of a car and how long it is possible to maintain a car are different questions.

Physically the lifetime of a car is limited by parts availability (assuming you have a knowledgeable mechanic ).

Most new car buyers seem to loose interest in their cars after about 5 years which would equate to about 75000 miles of use. The car then passes to a used car fan who again looses interest in about 5 years (less than 150000 miles on the car). By then, no one wants the car, except for certain select models. The car of course, is still willing and able.

[ March 18, 2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Ray Garlington ]

I have heard average vehicle life is 10 years for an auto and 14 years for a light truck. These numbers have increased as of late as reliability and build quality is up, thank the Japanese for motivating all manufacturer's and setting the bar.

I have heard average life is 10 years for an auto and 14 years for a light truck. These numbers have increased as of late as reliability and build quality is up, thank the Japanese for motivating this.

About 10 years.
I have a friend who owns an auto shop and is not only good, but also honest. What a commodity! We're in the process of doing a top end overhaul on my 93 Ford truck 5.8 liter, I'm doing the work, and he's doing the pointing. The problem seems to be more of a gasket/seal issue than anything else. The limiting factor for a well maintained vehicle isn't the miles, it seems to be the age. Gaskets and seals just get old. At just shy of 300,000 miles, on Castrol GTX 10W30, with 3 to 5 K oil changes, the oil side looks fine and has minimal wear. Not true for the air side! Lots of build up, and definately in need of an overhaul/cleanout. I think 10 years is the limit for most modern vehicles that are well maintained and repaired on a timely basis. He just overhauled the engine in his Lincoln and called it a "paper overhaul". Interesting choice of words.
I would like to hear what others think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back