Avalanche LT or P tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need tires for the truck. Stock is p265/70/17.
Thinking of using an LT tire. If i did, how would the ride change?
I do tow a 5k lb travel trailer and the truck weights about 5800lbs. Looking at the Grabber HTS but its a p metric.
Goodyear Armortrac has an E load rating.

If i went LT , how would i determine tire pressure? Stock placard pressure is 30 psi for the p metric tire.

Last edited:
If you looking at the Grabber I believe it can be purchased with a load rating of "XL" which will give you PLENTY of sidewall strength at MAX inflation without degrading the ride. I tow the same weight trailer as yours (with a 2011 Silverado 1500-5.3) and towed it all over the U.S.and my tires are an "XL" spec.

I don't find the need to put LT tires on a pickup truck not used regularly for heavy hauling. Nor do I see the logic in buying a heavy tire and only inflating to 60 or 70 percent of inflation capacity

Last edited:
Use the P or your ride will suffer. If towing 5k is within factory ratings, and the P tire is factory, then a P tire is all you need. I tow almost every day.

I doubt the ride will make a difference. My dad put 285/70-17 LT E-Rated tires on his FJ Cruiser and it rides awesome.

The LT tire will give you less rear end wiggle when towing. I hate that feeling. Always makes my rear end pucker a bit when I have to steer quickly on the High Way.

I should add that i don't put that many miles on it. The tires will age out before i wear them. I have uniroyal laredo on them now and its time to replace due to age. Good tread left. So i'm not worried about a mileage tire.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
The LT tire will give you less rear end wiggle when towing. I hate that feeling. Always makes my rear end pucker a bit when I have to steer quickly on the High Way.

You shouldn't have any "wiggle" if you inflate a "P" tire to Max inflation and your weight-distributing hitch is adjusted correctly.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
LT would be a little more stiff. LT should have a higher load capacity as well. I would just put them at 34-36 PSI. I don't like the stock 30 even for the P metric.

Here's example #1 why I loathe this place sometimes...

You would put them at 34-36 PSI? Wonderful. Did you pull those numbers out of thin air, or use a ouija board?

You don't like 30 PSI? Great. I don't like people who post information that only serves to confuse, and is based on nothing other than supposition.

At 29 PSI, according to the TRA inflation table, P265/70R17 (SL/113) have a load carrying capacity of 2,315lbs. Installed on a light-truck, they've been derated by a factor of 1.10, so the actual capacity is 2,105lbs.

Should the switch be made to LT265/70R17, 45 PSI would be the correct pressure for an equivalent capacity.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
LT would be a little more stiff. LT should have a higher load capacity as well. I would just put them at 34-36 PSI. I don't like the stock 30 even for the P metric.

Here's example #1 why I loathe this place sometimes...

You would put them at 34-36 PSI? Wonderful. Did you pull those numbers out of thin air, or use a ouija board?

You don't like 30 PSI? Great. I don't like people who post information that only serves to confuse, and is based on nothing other than supposition.

At 29 PSI, according to the TRA inflation table, P265/70R17 (SL/113) have a load carrying capacity of 2,315lbs. Installed on a light-truck, they've been derated by a factor of 1.10, so the actual capacity is 2,105lbs.

Should the switch be made to LT265/70R17, 45 PSI would be the correct pressure for an equivalent capacity.

THIS^^^^Agree. Put on heavier more expensive tires but don't inflate them to really do you any good.

Unless you are trying to correct some issue, there is zero need to go to an LT tire when a P-series tire is specified. Ride will be stiffer as the tire will need to be inflated higher, typically somewhere north of 45 psi to keep the equivalent load capacity.

I don't know why I put 34-36 I meant to actually type 44-46. Guess I was thinking about the rear tires on my car at the time lol Also, if I had the stock tires on my trailblazer i wouldn't mind 30 psi up front as the placecard says but seeing as they are not I prefer them a little more than 30. two each his own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I doubt the ride will make a difference. My dad put 285/70-17 LT E-Rated tires on his FJ Cruiser and it rides awesome.

An LT E rated tire is certainly going to give a different ride, over a P metric tire. It isn't even debatable.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

An LT E rated tire is certainly going to give a different ride, over a P metric tire. It isn't even debatable.
Well, then it probably depends on the vehicle. I've driven his FJ Cruiser lots and lots of miles with both the 265/70-17 street tires and 285/70-17 BFG All Terrain E-Rated tires. Very similar ride, have 40 psi in the E rated tires.

I run LTE tires on my Cherokee. Unless I'm running them at 45 or 50, it doesn't ride too bad other than pot holes.

But, I have super soft front springs. Soon I'll be relocating the shackle mounts to make it ride nicer in the rear too.

Thanks for the advice. I went with the General Grabbers. They are USA made and have a decent load rating for a p-metric.

The Grabbers have been rated high from Consumer Reports a few years back. (For whatever that is worth).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back