automotive battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning fellow Bitogers on this chilly morning in central Florida.

The situation: Behold the "Luv" machine. For those of you not in the know, the "Luv" machine is a 1986 Chevy Astro Van with the 4.3 V-6 motor. I use it as the family "mule" on what is left of the family farm. Among the many things it doesn't have is an alternator. The bearings on the alternator went out about two years ago so I removed it and have been running on the battery ever since, (my fan belt is a pair of my wifes panty hose tied tight around the crankshaft pulley and the fan pulley).

Since the battery receives no charge while the engine is running, I can get about two hours of use before it finally drains to the point of not working and needs a recharge. What I've been doing is swapping batteries from the tractor to the "Luv" machine while the dead battery recharges and then swap back again and so can keep working all day.

The question: How can I hook two batteries together so that I end up with a large battery that will run longer? I plan on re-routing the cables so that they come up inside the cab next to the drivers seat, (I already have long cables in my scrap box). Then my idea is to build a simple box out of scrap 2 x 4's and scrap plywood and secure this to the floor via self tapping screws so the batteries don't slid around.

I'm pretty sure I would connect positive to positive and negative to negative to make a long lasting 12 volt battery. Is this correct?

Do the batteries have to be the same size? (cold cranking amps, etc) or can I mix and match?

Will this double my running time or will it merely add to it? (say like another hour).

Does it matter if one battery is older than the other?

Any and all help in tackling this project before I get started will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and BTW, before anyone suggests, I'm not going to install another alternator. If you saw the "Luv" machine, you would understand.

You got it! +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve will give you more CCA and more runtime whilst staying at 12v. In theory, it should equate to the run time of the two batteries added together.
HTH!

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

Oh, and BTW, before anyone suggests, I'm not going to install another alternator. If you saw the "Luv" machine, you would understand.

Ok but understand constantly killing/running down to dead the batteries is going to eventually ruin them. So you either buy an alt or you buy a battery or two.

An alt at AAP with the current 30% off coupon is $55( after core refund and before tax ). Seems like a no brainer. You will have $20+ into wire to wire in a 2nd battery. Just seems like doing it right is a quick and cheap fix despite the vehicle being a beater.
21.gif

Last edited:
Why would you do that? Just replace the alternator with a cheap rebuilt from local parts store - a one time effort.

Two batteries in parallel should give you more run time. But using the batteries as you are doing will probably greatly shorten their life.

Deep cycle batteries or two 6V golf cart batteries (in series) would be best.

Consider fixing the alternator or bringing it to a rebuild shop. Bearings are not a big deal.

At some point shortening the life of the batteries is going to cost you.

I am sure this is just a joke post. I doubt that anyone would expend this much energy just to avoid buying an alternator. Hope you only drive during the day, as your lights would consume the battery(ies) much faster.

Plus "my fan belt is a pair of my wifes panty hose tied tight around the crankshaft pulley and the fan pulley" would NOT work (or not for very long)!

You got correct answers anyway.

Last edited:

Chilly in central Florida??

Our "High" will be -15F & -17F for the next 2 days.

With high wind.

I have searched my family tree for famous ancestors for naught. Imagine being a direct descendant of someone famous like Rube Goldberg. Of course, having that relationship on both sides of the family could be problematical.
smile.gif

Dood . I used to run a jeep around on a 100 AH telephone battery . I would go to a JY and buy a pair of alternators and rig one up. In the long run, it will serve you much better. I appreciate that the truck is a junker. The whole trick to junk OPE is to spend less time fixing them then you do running it. Why two , so you can rebuild the alt in case the first is NG. Delco alts are very easily taken apart. you may even get away with fixing the original.Yes rigging dual or even triple batteries in parallel will work. BUt the time and trouble would be better spent rigging an alternator. Maybe even splurge on a real belt too
laugh.gif

Last edited:
... (my fan belt is a pair of my wifes panty hose tied tight around the crankshaft pulley and the fan pulley)...
Panty hose in Florida? My gosh. In my day we would go out at dawn and catch an adolescent boa the proper length. The trick is not to stun them immediately. Place the snake around the proper pulleys. This can be difficult, since they will be upset. When everything is set, stick the boa's tail in his mouth. The angry boa will start to swallow his tail. When he reaches the proper tension(I like to let him get a little over tensioned, as they relax slightly after the next step), knock him in the head and start her up. The boa's rear facing teeth will lock on the tail and you are good to go. The main problem is the ants generally find your snakebelt post haste. Therefore, park the vehicle in the surf to keep them at bay. You are welcome. Chilly Florida my hat.
smile.gif

You can't play the games you are with paralleled batteries. Both must remain at the same state of charge, depleted the same way, and retain a good impedance match. This is essential so that you don't put one into reversal or create other unsafe scenarios which could cause a hydrogen vent and explosion.

By the time you spend money on copper wires, terminals and an extra battery, you could have gotten a used alternator and run it properly. Do the job right. An alternator for a GM 4.3 is not hard to find.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I am sure this is just a joke post. I doubt that anyone would expend this much energy just to avoid buying an alternator. Hope you only drive during the day, as your lights would consume the battery(ies) much faster.

Plus "my fan belt is a pair of my wifes panty hose tied tight around the crankshaft pulley and the fan pulley" would NOT work (or not for very long)!

You got correct answers anyway.

Nope - the "Luv" machine is an actual vehicle. It doesn't have lights or windows or doors. The "gas tank" is a five gallon bucket behind the drivers seat. Four years ago, it spun two rod bearings so I "glued" two bearings in place using JB Weld. The roof and the floor have rust holes big enough I can stick my fist through them. The radiator hoses are held in place with zip ties, (the old clamps rusted off).

The panty hose fan belt works great. The key is to knot the panty hose about every three inches before you tie them on and then trim off the excess with a razor knife. I can get about six months of run time out of a pair before they need replacing. My wife doesn't seem to mind.

I've got all the wiring already from other junk automobiles. The only thing I don't have is an alternator that will fit, (Fords and Chryslers).

Originally Posted By: Turk

Chilly in central Florida??

Our "High" will be -15F & -17F for the next 2 days.

With high wind.

It's suppose to get down to 36 by Tuesday in these parts - brutal!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You can't play the games you are with paralleled batteries. Both must remain at the same state of charge, depleted the same way, and retain a good impedance match. This is essential so that you don't put one into reversal or create other unsafe scenarios which could cause a hydrogen vent and explosion.

So are you saying the weaker battery could drain the other? Seriously, help me understand. I have a bunch of old batteries from different vehicles and different machines. They are different ages, etc. Would one end up killing the other?

Originally Posted By: DoiInthanon
... (my fan belt is a pair of my wifes panty hose tied tight around the crankshaft pulley and the fan pulley)...
Panty hose in Florida? My gosh. In my day we would go out at dawn and catch an adolescent boa the proper length. The trick is not to stun them immediately. Place the snake around the proper pulleys. This can be difficult, since they will be upset. When everything is set, stick the boa's tail in his mouth. The angry boa will start to swallow his tail. When he reaches the proper tension(I like to let him get a little over tensioned, as they relax slightly after the next step), knock him in the head and start her up. The boa's rear facing teeth will lock on the tail and you are good to go. The main problem is the ants generally find your snakebelt post haste. Therefore, park the vehicle in the surf to keep them at bay. You are welcome. Chilly Florida my hat.
smile.gif

I really tried resisting the temptation, but I am a weak man. "Show me."

I really tried resisting the temptation, but I am a weak man. "Show me."
cool.gif

Seein as how it is supposed to snow a metric ***load tonight and then drop down to below 0F, the wife and I will depart for your location posthaste. I figure it will take me until about St Pats to become acclimated and locate the appropriate nest of boa constrictors. At which time, the good patron's day, I will "Show you."

Rushing out now to get my haircut. Don't want to look like a rube when in FLORIDA. PS Are overalls ok on the beach? The wife looks good in them if I do say so myself. Don't worry about me. Long handles have never let me down in any social situation. Don't worry about picking up the house. We will be like family and keep our snotty comments to ourselves. See ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back