Automotive batteries in 2023

If it were me, go to RockAuto & see what they offer in AGM batteries. Best price & warranty
But what if you need to send it back for warranty? Not going to be cheap....and will take a while each way.
That is where the convenience of Costco, Walmart, and Les Schwab come into play.

I just got a new "DURACELL" AGM battery for my '95 Miata at Batteries+. After a 20% discount it was $158 and I sold the old battery to O'reilly for $10. The old battery lasted 6 years.

IMO, the difference is that today you need a trickle charger. I've had great success on a rarely used truck that has a cheap HF solar 1.5W charger, and no regulator even! The thing is when I tried to buy a second one, it immediately broke. When I returned it, the replacement broke again. So I can't buy another one.
Why do you need a trickle charger "today" and not previously?

Why do you need a trickle charger "today" and not previously?
Higher parasitic loads from the 15 million computer modules that vehicles built lately have. They never turn off, they "go to sleep" and are still using some current (like your TV does when it's "off"). It adds up. Also, if you work from home or are retired and aren't using your vehicle as much then it's another use case for a trickle charger.

Two weeks ago I replaced the battery in our 1987 VW Cabriolet. It was a Johnson Control battery with a date sticker K/02. Has been a GREAT battery. I am sure the replacement won't come close to that. That was what Walmart had then.

I put CTEK (56-382) Comfort Indicator Eyelet for M8 Top Post Batteries on most of my batts. I can glance out the garage door, and see if my genny, boat, cycle, and car need charging. Same with the batts on my backup sump pump.

My CX-5 has a LOT of drain, and I need to charge it about every 2 weeks. The tiny batts in the cycle and genny drop voltage very fast, too.

Reactions: Y_K
Delkor doesn’t supply any batteries to Walmart. Delkor, is of course Clarios Korea. They’re all made by Hyundai, Hankook and DN Automotive.

The local VatoZone is either Korean or German(Clarios Varta for DIN AGM) now. Exide now is just a relabler, the new batteries don’t have their rectangular vent caps. AZ switched to Exide as a battery supplier in the last few year, not surprising since a former Exide person is at the C-Suite in Memphis.
So Wally sells Hyundai? I stand corrected. I avoid these. Local AZ is Varta for AGM here too. Many don't have origin labels (Delkor or Exide?), though I do still see an occasional Mexico label, Clarios Mexico I presume. These days I usually settle for their Mexican Clarios. Which brand do Exide most commonly relable?

I’ve had good success with Walmart everstart maxx batteries. Have one in my accord, her Altima, her daughters jeep.

I tend to replace mine around the 5 year mark just because

I buy Interstate from Costco because of the outstanding warranty process. Bring it in under warranty period (no receipt necessary) and they pull a new one off the shelf, no questions asked.

The only issue is, the warranty is for the purchaser, not the car owner. I just put a battery in my niece's '15 Odyssey; if it craps out I have to return it as it was sold under my membership.

Most batteries you're going to need a receipt. With Costco, they won't process a refund without a membership card. I have gotten refunds (and they only do refunds of the original purchase price) from Costco. Once I didn't have a membership an my parents went with me to buy it. I had to go back with them to get the refund. They also didn't have that type battery any more. Later I bought one with our own membership. We even got our core return fee back since we never turned in a core. But the core fee was returned for that purchase, they don't return a core fee again after a refund. Heck - I returned one (the old Kirkland Signature brand made by JCI) after 5 years and I got a 15% prorated refund with the core fee I never cashed in.

I'd love it if I could get an OEM style Panasonic battery in a translucent (to see the acid level) case with knobs. And since I live in a mild climate, I'd like the lower amperage type with beefier plates. Higher CCA batteries for cold climates don't last as long.

Doesn't look like much, but labels don't boost performance.

Subaru-Forester-12V-Automotive-Battery-Replacement-Guide-015.JPG

Back