Automatics past 200K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conventional BITOG wisdom is that all automatic transmissions will need serious work before 200K miles. I would like to hear of vehicles with automatic transmissions with 200K+ miles. I'll start us off:

I know of two Toyota trucks (one Tacoma, one T-100, both 3.4 sixes), one with 200K and one with 270K.

My wife's family had an '88 Camry that went to ~205K miles.

I had an '89 Accord with a cra-ppy (F4?) auto that made it to 202K miles.

None of the above 4 transmissions had any work done with them. Only one (the Honda) was really due.

I'm curious to hear of more as I think the auto has made spectacular strides in the past 2 decades and I think that there are more of them out there with really high miles, people normally don't think about the transmission lasting (unless you're on BITOG).

Clark

My older galant has a bit over 250K and still shifts and drives like it did when I got it at 83K, I'm pretty sure its only had fluid changes... A friend had an S-10 blazer that went 340K on an early 700-R4 before a planetary grenaded.

I have a Turbo 350 Transmission on my El Camino that has 376,000 miles on it and its still shifting fine.

94 Wrangler with 225k on it. Since been clunkered but she was a beast if there ever was one.

Convetional wisdom sucks and requires short change intervals....anyone? anyone?? Bueler???

1997 Nissan Quest 183,000'ish miles 280,000'kms a few months ago NO extra work done to the transmission. I'll take a picture tonight of the odometer.

The tranny yolk is bigger than TH400s so I couldn't see it requiring any major work soon. Also, we actually maintain our vehicles in my house - unlike some of the "conventional" BITOG'ers.

My old 96 Merc GM had 218,000 miles on it when I sold it last Aug. Still fine. I did 40,000 mile OCIs with filter change.

Originally Posted By: tig1
My old 96 Merc GM had 218,000 miles on it when I sold it last Aug. Still fine. I did 40,000 mile OCIs with filter change.

Did you use M1 ATF?

224K on a 1996 Nissan Quest
236K on a 1991 Lexus LS400

All with 10K or so drain and fills with occasional pan drops.

350K on 88 Camry 4cyl .... drain and fill every 30K, brother-in-law still uses it as a daily driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Closest I came was my old S-Jimmy, I made 160,000 before I scrapped the vehicle for other reasons. AT was not a problem, ever, during the life of the truck and I did regular AT fluid changes (don't remember the interval, but it was what GM dictated), using non-synth AT Fluid.

Originally Posted By: soldierman
My older galant has a bit over 250K and still shifts and drives like it did when I got it at 83K, I'm pretty sure its only had fluid changes... A friend had an S-10 blazer that went 340K on an early 700-R4 before a planetary grenaded.

I'll add that I do 50K cooler line flushes with cheapest house brand Dexron III. Only every other time I drop the pan and clean the bottom and 5 or so maganets that were placed in there by the factory.

238K miles on a ZF 4HP22 in a Jaguar Xj6 - still shifted like new, I was sick of the car.

177K miles on a ZF 4HP24 in another Jaguar Xj6, same story as above. I did a tranny pan drain and fill with cheap ATF every 5K or so on both.

All of my present cars, except the 4L80E in my Xj12, have non user servicable transmissions.

I don't like that.

Last edited:
A 1996 Cherokee that I sold 3 years ago with 200K on it is still running strong. The current owner has 250K and no automatic transmission (or other mechanical) issues. I towed quite a bit with it and had an oil cooler installed when new. It had maybe 2 or 3 transmission fluid changes while I owned it.

My father still has an early 1990's Ford pickup that's probably closing in on 300K. The only times it sees fluid changes are when the transmission starts to act up because of the old fluid. Other than a couple of fluid changes it's never seen any transmission repairs.

Both of the above vehicles have about 90% highway miles on them.

207+k on a corsica 3t40, sold it running/driving great.
225k on a intrigue 4t65e, junked it, starting to have TCC and 4th gear solenoid issues though.

190,000 miles on a 1999 Olds 88. It's had 1 tranny flush and that's it. Shifts great still.

Our 1998 Blazer with 230,000 miles is a different story, It's on it's 3rd tranny!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Our 1998 Blazer with 230,000 miles is a different story, It's on it's 3rd tranny!

The 4L60E isn't the greatest trans ever, but that's very surprising.

My cousin has an automatic 7.3L Super Duty with something like 236,000 miles on it. I don't think the trans has ever had any issues in that truck. The fluid has been changed regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back