Auto RX vs BG ATC Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've been having some transmission problems lately that simply changing the fluid out didn't help much. After doing some research around online I've pretty much settled between using one of these two products. My mechanic recommended the ATC plus to me which costs about half as much as Auto RX but it seems like Auto RX has more of a following. Does anybody know how these two products compare and whether or not the extra cost of Auto RX is worth it. Also, has anybody tried either of these in a Honda Automatic with good results? Thanks

What type of tranny problems?
What transmission?
Miles? maintenance history?
Changed to what fluid? how much?

It has trouble shifting into fourth gear when the car is cold and if it does decided to go into fourth it feels like it struggles to do it but Ive also noticed that under strong throttle like getting onto the highway it shifts into fourth gear fine. The rest of the gears shift noticeably rougher than they used to but sometimes I have some smooth shifts here and there out of nowhere. Also, after the car has been sitting for a couple days shifting into reverse results in quite a thud.

The Transmission is the stock 4 speed automatic in the 1999 Honda Accord v6. a transmission notorious for problems.

The transmission has 112000 miles on it and though I'm not the original owner according to the maintenance records the fluid was changed on the factory schedule of every 30,000 miles. Just a simple drain and refill every time so half the fluid was changed each time. Honda's OEM fluid has been used every time. In the last 3000 miles Ive done a drain and refill twice with no improvement in the shifting and the fluid has been red every time Ive changed it.

I can personally attest to the capabilities of the ARX. I have had stellar results in engines and transmissions when using ARX. I do NOT have any experience with it's use in a Honda, however, but I suspect it would work just fine. IMO, it is worth every penny.

I have some exp w/ A-Rx in a Honda tranny,I can,t can't comment on the BG or Lubegaurd products.Was the problem there before fluid change? What type of fluid was used? Was it spec'd for Z-1 app? It sound like they used DexronIII. I know Honda has had problems w/ auto tranny's behind the V-6's. I would take it to Honda and see what they say. You are not that fare out of the program they have for auto tranny's. Show them the paper work and let them go to bat for you!

Its always had Z1 put in it. I guess I should mention too that the car itself has 190000 miles on it and its the second transmission so unfortunately I'm way out of the extended warranty period at this point. I've got a bottle of Auto-Rx on order now so I'll see how that goes. I'll write an update once I start using it.

Make sure you use only the prescribed amount of 6oz and do a full exchange when done the 1000-1500 miles.

Originally Posted By: pakstl
The Transmission is the stock 4 speed automatic in the 1999 Honda Accord v6. a transmission notorious for problems.

If I recall correctly, the common problem with this transmission was due to a bearing that kept going to bits. How will any measure short of fixing the bearing, if that's indeed the issue, solve or even improve anything? I suggest you have the cause of your transmission issues properly diagnosed before looking for a repair in a bottle.

Never seen a magic bottle of lotion/potion/tonic ever fix a hard parts problem- wasting money looking for an easy fix with the RX stuff.

I'm almost positive its not the bearing. From what Ive seen in forums specific to the car when the bearing fails it fails catastrophically causing the transmission to completely die right then and there whether it shifted good or not before. My transmission is just getting rough shifting and some trouble going to fourth gear which to me suggests something sticking somewhere but I have no problem trying the cheap fix first if it has a reasonable chance of extending the life of the transmission even a little bit while I can save some money up.

A lot of them have defective carrier bearings on the differential where the chrome plating would flake off the bearings and clog up oil passages causing pressure problems around the clutch packs and spool valves. No amount of fluid changes or easy driving kept the bearings from failing. Though I don't think all the transmissions were defective. From what I can tell if the transmission had the defective bearings it would rarely make it to 100k and more often than not go out around 80k or earlier. When my cars transmission originally went out i know Honda installed a new transmission under warranty. This happened after the transmissions were known to be defective so one would think I have a transmission where the problem has been fixed but who knows.

It's cheaper to try this first. If this doesn't work, I'll get it professional diagnosed. I like to avoid filling mechanics pockets whenever possible so usually I try a cheap solution first. Sometimes it works, sometimes not but usually me trying the cheap solution first balances out in my favor and I learn something every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back