Auto registration forms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of a stupid topic I know, but I recently renewed both my car's registration and also my wife's car. I paid mine by Internet where I can only pay by credit/debit card, and on the last day. If I mailed in a check (a check or money order is the only payment accepted for mail-in renewals) I would get the same form. The form is a single piece of paper with the registration sticker on section with a perforation that's meant to be torn off. Here's a sample from the California DMV. Kind of old, but nothing has really changed. It's mailed in a small envelope. There's also preprinted text on the back about having to keep it or a copy in the vehicle and to keep proof of insurance or liability.

[Linked Image]

But my wife's was due and we headed for the local AAA (Northern California) office, which has limited DMV services. I remember they used to have a dedicated DMV services counter, but now it's just in the same line as all other membership/payment/etc. I could have also done this at my local California DMV office if I really wanted to wait 2 hours in line. They'll laser print (might have been dot matrix years ago) to an 8.5"x11" perforated piece of paper and fold it in half. The registration sticker will come from a roll where they're wrapped in plastic where the sticker number is noted on the registration form, and then stapled (I was told it has to be stapled) to the registration form. Here's a sample from some California DMV training exercise:

[Linked Image]

Also - one is considered to have "paid" the registration as long as it's in the mail. I think there's a 2 week period where there's no penalty. I've mailed in my payment late before and got a supplemental bill to pay the penalty. Paying online or in person they'll only accept the full amount including the penalty.

Here, you could renew online with a credit card with no extra fee, and I did that for many years (close to 20 years if memory serves). Then last fall, they privatized the renewal web site (darned lobbyists sold them on it no doubt) which now charges an extra $3 "convenience" fee for the site owners. Now I'm back to mailing in a check or wasting time & gas to go to the bureau. I'm not paying those guys $3 for wedging themselves into the government process.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Here, you could renew online with a credit card with no extra fee, and I did that for many years (close to 20 years if memory serves). Then last fall, they privatized the renewal web site (darned lobbyists sold them on it no doubt) which now charges an extra $3 "convenience" fee for the site owners. Now I'm back to mailing in a check or wasting time & gas to go to the bureau. I'm not paying those guys $3 for wedging themselves into the government process.

I've been able to do that for some time. However, in person at the California DMV they only took cash, check, or debit cards for some time. When our new Governor took over, he vowed that he would work to get DMV offices to accept credit cards. Not sure if that's in place yet, but I know our local AAA offices take credit cards and I don't need to wait over an hour. Plus they have complimentary coffee, or at least did until their machine died.

Anything regarding DMV (or MVC in New Jersey) seems to be:
A) Set up by people who get paid by the syllable
B) Open to ridiculous vagueness such that slugs are always needed to referee
C) Electronically modernized (computerized) by politicians' relatives

Originally Posted by Garak
The top picture looks eerily how it used to be here, especially on the right side with the instructions.
wink.gif

That one is only from the single California mail-in service center in Sacramento. They're all perforated forms where the number on the form matches the attached sticker. However, they're always cut just off the perforation.

The other way used to be continuous forms out of a dot matrix printer, but now everything is laser printed with single, perforated sheets. And the sticker comes in a plastic bag with the instructions on the back:

[Linked Image]

This is from someone selling it - I guess as a souvenir. It's not like it can be used since it has already expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back