Auto paint decontamination

Can one do auto paint decontamination on top of ceramic coating or PowerLock+. What about clay bar?

So my pickup had PowerLock+ applied last fall and Crosstrek had a 18 month ceramic coating applied.

What do I ask the detainer to do this spring?

Can on do auto paint decontamination on top of a sealer or ceramic coating? Clay bar? Or does the surface need to get back to just paint and then decontamination and clay bar and then sealer or ceramic coating?

A clay bar will pretty much strip all the wax and contamination off a vehicle and then you basically have to start over. I usually just clay bar anything that isn't real smooth and then apply the wax or ceramic coating of your choice. Usually the hood, top and trunk area's need the clay bar and the sides are good but it just depends. My Corvette gets much more attention than my Honda Civic. There are so many directions you can go as far as detailing goes. If you go to a pro detailer just ask them since they are the professionals. A person can go on forever about what is the best application. Everyone calls it "paint correction" but in all reality all you are doing is making the clear coat look better. I have PPF on the front portion of my Corvette and can't tell the difference between that and the regular color which gets babied frequently and the PPF just gets quick detailer. People tend to overthink all these ceramics and wax applications.

Isn't the point of ceramic coating to not have to detail the paint the next 2,3 or 5 years? The coating should prevent contamination from embedding in the paint and just a washing is needed?

Back