Auto Gas Cap Differences

I have two 2016 model year Chrysler vehicles, one is a flex fuel, the other is not.
With petrol prices the way they are, I have been looking for MOPAR locking fuel cap that can be keyed for the ignition key for each vehicle
Various on-line Chrysler parts sites indicate there is a Mopar brand fuel cap ignition keyable for the regular fuel vehicle, it's part number is 68045040AB.
There appears to be no such ignition keyable part dedicated to our flex fuel vehicle.

Which brings me to a question whether the one that is keyable to my ignition key (part number noted) would also work for for the flex fuel vehicle. Having a yellow gas cap is not a big deal for me.

(as in buy two of the same - one for each vehicle)

Thanks in advance for any guidance or edumakashun.

I’ve seen those gas caps bypassed with nothing more than a flat head screw driver or large pair of channel locks. Or the thieves punch a hole right through the tank itself since they’re just relatively soft plastic.

But yes, it should work for both vehicles however that particular part number comes back for 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler.

A locking gas cap is a waste of money. When a vehicle comes in with a locking cap and I need the cap off for an emissions inspection I dont even bother looking for the key, its too easy to get them off without

I’ve seen those gas caps bypassed with nothing more than a flat head screw driver or large pair of channel locks. Or the thieves punch a hole right through the tank itself since they’re just relatively soft plastic.

But yes, it should work for both vehicles however that particular part number comes back for 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler.
The Wrangler is one of the Chrysler vehicles in question.

Its faster to drill the tank or cut the filler hose than bother with messing with the cap. Your money would be better spent getting a metal skid plate for the fuel tank on the Wrangler.

Back