augur gear lube in my old Ariens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got about 2 tablespoons of emulsified gear oil out of the augur gear. I know it has a brass worm gear if that is a consideration. I was thinking Mobil 1 75 90 or Pennzoil for LSD. So I can use the other 3 cups as top off in the BMWs.. TIA

Last edited:
Conversely, why pay the premium for Ariens branded lubricant when other lubricant may be cheaper, better, and more convenient to purchase? I'm not stating this categorically, but offering it as food for thought.

I agree with Kestas. Why settle for an overpriced oil of average quality just because it features the OPE manufacturer's name on the label?

I will willingly pay extra for extra quality ... but detest paying more for brand names.

I bought a quart of Pennzoil MTL because it was the only bottle that stated that is was okay with brass, copper and bronze. It doesnt have that gross diff lube stink about it. I'm pretty sure it is GL 4 and 5. $9.53 out the door.

You are using Pennzoil syncromesh? Is it this stuff?

http://www.pennzoil.com/other-car-produc...smission-fluid/

If so, this product is quite thin (cSt 9.08). I would use a 75W-90 gear oil at the least (cSt 15+). Don't worry about your brass parts ... GL-5s are a lot safer than they were 10-15+ years ago. Check with the manufacturer if you are unsure.

Now, I don't know how many hours it would take to wear out your auger gear with the thinner oil ... maybe hundreds or even thousands ... but I'd replace it as soon as you could.

Last edited:
You need an EP 00 grease. Hard to find but there are several online sources. I just ordered some from Sears. 4-5 day period to get it.

Item# 07175655000
Description: Stens Super Lube "00" Grease / 9 Ounce Tube

$13.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back