Audi stops ICE development? Wow...

Guys, don't throw out your MityVacs and drain pans just yet...
I believe the CEO said they will not develop and NEW internal combustion engines.
The will continue to use and refine their suite of current engines, especially to make them more emmissions efficient.

My Oldsey and Corvette will be OK; heck they been living on CA wanna be crappy 91* "Premium" for years.

So, Audi stops, but VW and the other brands continue then?

VW as a whole sells to enough of the third world and everywhere else... places where the opportunity for electrification is lower than the USA, and look at the challenges here.

Its a PR ploy. They want to compete with Tesla, they know that folks with money who buy the Audi product will have electricity, even if it’s a diesel genset.

If VW gave a blanket statement, full stop, I’d be somewhat more concerned.

And even then, others would likely fill in.

Ford claimed they were discontinuing sedans, and concentrating on trucks and SUV's. Like the choice to move to "all" EV's (Jaguar) , Manufacturers make all sorts of choices, sometimes they work out, and other times, they miss the mark. Ford's choice seems odd considering the fact that A) Tesla sells plenty of sedans, B) Fuel prices are skyrocketing. I suspect this will drive people into more fuel efficient vehicles.

In the case of Jaguar, they will no longer provide a touring-capable vehicle. I suspect, a loss of market share. There are people who want to drive something nice, comfortable and with good driving dynamics, on trips.

Audi may be making the same "virtue-signalling" choice. Where they expect other brands to "take up the slack".

I don't pay a lotta attention to auto mfg news, but I sure didn't see this one coming...
Audi stops ICE development
You didn't see this? VW announced sometime ago that they were going all on in EV. Audi and VW still share a few powerplants (I4) and like all the other Euros they're going to augment their existing powerplants with some form of electric motor. Without VW volumes Audi can't justify the development cost on a new ICE.

Audi is not stopping ICE engine development, they are stopping new ICE engine development which is a big difference. New engine designs cost a lot of money to develop so automakers keep refining, and developing them for many years sometimes even many decades. For example the gen 1 SBC engine debuted in 1954 and ceased production in 2003. So safe to say Audi will continue to make many ICE engines for many years to come.

BMW few days ago said that their new S58 M engines won't have an issue meeting future EU emission standards. Few days later day introduced I4 EV> ICE is staying here for several decades.

Audi is not stopping ICE engine development, they are stopping new ICE engine development which is a big difference. New engine designs cost a lot of money to develop so automakers keep refining, and developing them for many years sometimes even many decades. For example the gen 1 SBC engine debuted in 1954 and ceased production in 2003. So safe to say Audi will continue to make many ICE engines for many years to come.

Exactly the point I was going to make, including that example.

Plus Audi is only one part of VWAG. They might already have been planning to shift new engine development to other divisions to avoid duplication. There is no obligation for PR announcements to reflect the actual reason for a change.

Back