ATV oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I am about to change my oil in my Yamaha Grizzly 700. I used Mobil 1 racing 4t last change a year ago and it did good. I may put 500 miles on the atv in a year so I dont know if I want to go with 10 dollar a quart oil next time. Since it is almost summer in hot Louisiana I was thinking of either Rotella 5-40 or 15-40 but couldnt make my mind up. The bike is water cooled also. Anyone have a suggestion on the two or something totally different? Thanks.

It probably asks for a 10w-40. If that is your case, I would go with a 15w-40 in your climate. It has better shear resistance typically than the 5w-40's and it's not going to be suffering "cold" starts.

Rotella 15w-40 meets JASO MA.

Yeah in the owner manual it says I can go up to 20w-40 in my climate but that just seems really thick. I didnt know the Rotella met the JASO standard but thought it was close. I think I will give the 15w-40 a shot. It is not a synthetic is it? I thought just the 5w-40 was synthetic.

Originally Posted By: daviddsims1
Yeah in the owner manual it says I can go up to 20w-40 in my climate but that just seems really thick. I didnt know the Rotella met the JASO standard but thought it was close. I think I will give the 15w-40 a shot. It is not a synthetic is it? I thought just the 5w-40 was synthetic.

The 15w40 is dino the 5w40 is syn(Grp III)i would run the 15w40 for longer drains it'll shear less then the 5w40 and protect as well. Unless your running it this winter then 5w40 will be better.

Thanks for the followups. I heard someone else on here say not to get the Mobil 4t but get the 0w-40 its almost the same thing. Anyone have opinion on this?

My previous yamaha motorcycle called for yamalube 20w-40. I used Rotella 15w-40 in it (which I think is a better lube) and It was perfect inside at 62k miles when I took the case apart to replace 2nd gear.

I think a good 15w-40 HDEO is ideal for an engine that specs a 20w-40 (in other words, a yamaha).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back