Attn: Dunkin Donuts coffee lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have plenty of Dunkin restaurants here, I have yet to have a decent cup of coffee or a decent sandwich at any one of them.

9 times out of 10 the coffee tastes like absolute mud. The last cup I got from them had grounds in the bottom of the cup. Their egg sandwiches are not good at all, and its all overpriced.

Lucky we have Tim Hortons here, they make a good cup of coffee every single time, and SOMETIMES their food is OK. It depends when you arrive. Their food has actually gotten a little worse in the past couple years, and the portions have gotten smaller, but they are still king of the hill here.

I usually don't drink a cup of mcdonalds coffee unless I'm out of town and have to. I just had a cup of burger king coffee today because we were snowed in, so I walked to get some breakfast.

Their coffee reminds me of the free stuff that you get at a hotel continental breakfast. Again, not good..

I do like starbucks once in a while, but most of them shut down around here, except maybe one or two (not near my house)..

Honestly, I just bought a coffee grinder, and started grinding my own Colombian beans in my house to make a good cup of coffee. That and a little fresh half and half makes an excellent cup. The arabica beans aren't as flavorful.

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
Originally Posted By: dkryan
Ah, Dunkin' Donuts coffee!!

The latest "love to hate" on BITOG!!!

I'll say. I didn't realize this would be such a controversial subject. I wanted to make sure Johnny didn't miss the deal!

It might have something to do with the way you store it after it's been opened.

I was a Mister Donut manager from 1973 to 1977, and a Dunkin Donut franchisee from 1978-1983. This was before they pulled out the counters, but that is another story.
Being on the South Shore of Mass, on the way to the Cape, we were close to the headquarters in Randolph, and many company personnel lived in our area, so we had to be on our toes.
The grind is just as important as the brand of coffee. We fresh ground at 3.25 ounces a pot. This was stronger than other parts of the country because a "regular" coffee was cream and sugar. We would pre-sugar the cups and stack them, 1 sugar for small, 2 for medium, 3 for large. This was according to company specs. We used real cream. In Florida, they ground at 2.5 oz per pot, because a "regular" coffee there was black.
18 minutes, and we dumped the pot. Coffee was cheap, so no need to stretch it.
As you moved further away from the headquarters, with the less supervision came cutting corners. Holding a pot too long, non dairy creamer, etc.
In South Florida, the Indians (from India) were buying stores. They cut all kinds of corners, ran filthy stores and ran them into the ground then abandoned them. Dunkin was afraid to not allow them to buy stores, as this was the beginning of political correctness.
Dunkin put a lot of effort into quality control back then. I remember they would not allow us to use foam cups even though they were cheaper, because they felt it affected taste and they wanted the customer to feel the warmth through the paper, especially in the winter. At the counter, we used porcelin cups.
I hate to see how this company has deteriorated. And the donuts, don't get me started on the donuts. I can give you an earful.

For such a bland tasting coffee I don't agree with the price premium at Sam's Club over the other brands.

DD 2.5lb bag costs around $15, why?

I prefer the taste of the other Member's Mark varieties or even Tim Horton's, same size bag for $5-12.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Honestly, I just bought a coffee grinder, and started grinding my own Colombian beans in my house to make a good cup of coffee. That and a little fresh half and half makes an excellent cup. The arabica beans aren't as flavorful.

I think you'll find that your Columbian-grown coffee is, in fact, arabica. Latin American coffee is almost entirely arabica or canephora. The Brazilians are the big canephora producers.

I watch entirely too much Deutsche Welle...

D'n'D coffee always seems burnt to me. And, getting tired of eating coffee grinds from them. Mcdonalds or Cumbys has Dunk beat hands down.

I find Starbucks hit or miss too. Sad that there is no consistency among stores, or even the time of day.

Brew your own!

If you are getting a burnt taste from a Dunkin Donuts, it's because they are letting the pot sit too long, or they have too fine a grind. If you are getting grinds in your coffee, either they aren't keeping the grinder free of chaf or not separating their filters. 2 filters will cause an overflow.
There was a show on last night about franchises, and had a segment on Dunkin Donuts. Anyone else see it?

Your 'Dunkin Donuts' down there is the EXACT same as our 'Tim Hortons' up here - cheap, generally good coffee, and a store every 5 miles, sometimes more.

Also, my wife and I do buy Tim Hortons ground coffee by the tin, and make it at home. We just can't 'get the taste' for anything else!!! LOL!

Me + DD coffee =
sick.gif

I prefer either Starbucks (Pikes Place) or McDonald's.

I got some Dunkin Donuts donuts for co-workers that have helped me immensely the past few months. Some were tasty, others weren't that great.

Tim Horton's has DD beat with a large stick for coffee and donuts. Too bad the nearest one is ~60 miles from me. At least I can buy the ground coffee locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back