ATF vs MTF for Tremec 3650

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a customer with an 05 Mustang GT. It only has 18K miles but he wants it well taken care of. He told me to treat like it was mine, so naturally I started obsessing over the "best" fluids for the job. It'll get brake fluid and coolant changed and probably the rear gear oil too. In looking up the spec'ed fluids I see that Ford is calling for "Synthetic MERCON® Part No. XT-2-QSM" . Would a dedicated MTF be a better option?

I have run nearly everything in my Tremec 3550...

The expensive "MTF" fluid...

Mobil 1 ATF...

Other brands synthetic ATF...

Even Mobil 1 0W-20...

It all seems to be the same.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Genuine Ford Fluid XT-M5-QS. That's what I would use.

No no no!!! That transmission does not call for that gear oil based fluid at all. They have updated the listing to Mercon V for the TR-3650.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

No no no!!! That transmission does not call for that gear oil based fluid at all. They have updated the listing to Mercon V for the TR-3650.

^^This

If you put a gear oil in that transmission you may end up with gear clash when you shift.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by bdcardinal

^^This

If you put a gear oil in that transmission you may end up with gear clash when you shift.
cool.gif

Originally Posted by Kode
Sounds good. Is mercon a mineral oil base? What is MTF?
MTF = manual transmission fluid. Mercon V is a synthetic blend.

Just wanted to offer my
49.gif
: I had an '04 GT with the 3650 5spd. I used the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF in mine. No complaints. Not sure if this truly was the "best" for the trans, but based on the extensive research I did at the time (~2010) it was the best out there. This was determined by searching this site, speaking with dealer transmission techs, some people in the aftermarket Mustang world, and even speaking to a (supposed) engineer at Tremec (along with other sources I'm forgetting). But this info is 8 years old...

It seemed to have a slight improvement overall, but not dramatic. Ultimately the Mobil 1 served 40k problem free miles before I sold it. Not trying to instigate the fluid gurus on this site, just saying in my case it worked great, and it should do the same for anyone else.

I currently drive a 2002 mustang gt with the 3650 in it. I bought it with 127k now it has 174k on it. Amsoil synchromesh has been the best I have used so far. It's been in there for 20k right now with no issues. Pennzoil synchromesh works well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back