ATF SolvesGM Transmission Shudder Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No dipstick.
Likely there is a breather in the system somewhere.
Time will tell if this is the solution to the A8 tranny shudder.
My guess is yes, it only took GM 4 years to figure it out.

I was looking at this New Mobil lv hp fluid and it seems it can be used backwards in anything that used dex 3. My son is a parts man at the local chevy dealer and he said they have cases of this stuff that has water in and can not be used just sitting there that was the first shipment they got. The replacement shipment of fluid is fine. Makes you wonder what the [censored] is going on.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
2 years ago I performed an exchange with maxlife multi-vehicle compatible Dex - VI in my 4l65e. Started shuddering almost immediately. After some investigation thanks to this site found out that maxlife multi-vehicle is thinner then the GM Dex VI spec. So I beefed it up with some Lucas transmission fix which is basically a thickener. Shudder went away as fast as it showed up. So I think it's the fluid and they are swapping torque converters that are better compatible with the thinner than DexVI Dex-HD. I'm guessing that a thicker fluid would probably solve it.

That's why even if an ATF meets or exceeds or is even licensed by, in this case GM, if it states that it is multi-vehicle I won't touch it. Multi-vehicle normally means it meets multiple manufactures specifications. Like both Dexron VI and Mercon LV.

I'm going to install a deep well transmission pan and do fluid change on my GM 6L50 (Colorado Duramax) this spring and as finicky as these new high tech transmissions are, I'm only going to go with GM or ACDelco branded Dexron VI.

Last edited:
I just spoke to a Tech at Mobil today and he said the new LV HP fluid is only for the new eight speed transmissions. I was reading the above specs for the new fluid above and it says you can use it in anything backwards to Dex 3. I guess the 'tech " i talked to at mobil doesn't know what he's talking about. He recommended i call a GM dealer and ask them. ???????? I would have thought that a tech that worked at mobil would have known the answer to their own fluid question.

So I'll ask just for giggles...

The Mobil 1â„¢ Synthetic LV ATF HP states that is actually backwards compatible with Dexton VI.

Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP can be used in older vehicles specifying DEXRON VI, DEXRON® II or DEXRON® III type fluids.

So would this be actually better that Dex VI in my 6L50? If just a pan and filter replacement, I'd only replacing around 7 qts. Something tells me I need to stick with Dexron VI as that is supposedly the factory fill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427

The Mobil 1â„¢ Synthetic LV ATF HP states that is actually backwards compatible with Dexton VI.

Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP can be used in older vehicles specifying DEXRON VI, DEXRON® II or DEXRON® III type fluids.

So would this be actually better that Dex VI in my 6L50? If just a pan and filter replacement, I'd only replacing around 7 qts. Something tells me I need to stick with Dexron VI as that is supposedly the factory fill.

The "LV" means Low Viscosity which basically equates to Dexron VI.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
I guess my question would be, if moisture ingress is the problem, where is the moisture coming from?

If these transmissions have a dipstick, then the dipstick seal must be allowing air to bypass it and suck in moisture when the fluid cools.

It probably has a breather like a differential has. My last truck, an 07 tacoma had a transmission breather that was tucked between the engine and firewall. I would pump fresh ATF in through the cooler lines without removing the fill plug and I could hear air escaping through the breather as I was pumping. Even "sealed" transmissions have to have a breather of some kind or they would leak around or blow out the seals as they warmed up and the fluid expands. As the fluid cools and contracts, it makes sense that air must enter the trans through the same breather to prevent the transmission from having vacuum (negative pressure).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave1027

The "LV" means Low Viscosity which basically equates to Dexron VI.

Ok and thanks. Now we know that the Mobil 1 LV ATF HP is officially listed as being a replacement for Dexton VI in older vehicles. Now as far as mixing the two. If I were to do a filter and pan drop and replace only around 6 quarts out of maybe 10 quarts total? Would that be ok?

I was just think the new stuff would hold up better as I do some towing with the Colorado. Maybe I'm overthinking it and should just stick with Dexron VI.

I've only had a shudder a few times at around 60mph just below 2000 RPM when V4 kicks in. I brought in my 2017 1500 to look at transmission jerking at very low throttle in speeds such as stop and go traffic, and also a hard 1-2 up and down shift.

They used this bulletin as a fix. I've gone about 60 miles since but not much in stop and go, not fully tested.

Has anyone had these similar issues and the bulletin seems to fix? I've already got 50,000 of "learned" miles and I'm hoping this finally does the trick.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
2 years ago I performed an exchange with maxlife multi-vehicle compatible Dex - VI in my 4l65e. Started shuddering almost immediately. After some investigation thanks to this site found out that maxlife multi-vehicle is thinner then the GM Dex VI spec. So I beefed it up with some Lucas transmission fix which is basically a thickener. Shudder went away as fast as it showed up. So I think it's the fluid and they are swapping torque converters that are better compatible with the thinner than DexVI Dex-HD. I'm guessing that a thicker fluid would probably solve it.

That's why even if an ATF meets or exceeds or is even licensed by, in this case GM, if it states that it is multi-vehicle I won't touch it. Multi-vehicle normally means it meets multiple manufactures specifications. Like both Dexron VI and Mercon LV.

I'm going to install a deep well transmission pan and do fluid change on my GM 6L50 (Colorado Duramax) this spring and as finicky as these new high tech transmissions are, I'm only going to go with GM or ACDelco branded Dexron VI.

What about the transmission from GM and Ford which were jointly designed? Mercon LV and DEXRON VI fluids are licensed and certified by GM on the self.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back