ATF Selection Chrysler 47RE

JHZR2

Staff member
This is what the OM/Dipstick says:

8FD60113-5D11-4610-9F8A-F3FBF391BBD7.jpeg

Mopar ATF Plus type 7176 or Dexron II.

Frankly I’m surprised that they mentioned Dex II in 1996, as I’m pretty sure Dex IIIH came out around then.

So what would you run? I’ll probably use the same in my old MB cars as they all specify Dex II.

I’m not seeing ATF+4 being listed as 7176. ATF+4 is type 9602.

ATF+3 is Type 7176E

ATF+, which is a 1973 spec, was Type 7176 without any suffix.

Thus my confusion.

My info indicates that ATF+3 is appropriate for the 47RH, and not compatible with other Dexron fluids besides IID (same as ATF+4 isn’t compatible with other Dexron fluids, but IS back compatible with ATF+3).

So it seems that ATF+4 might be right, but not by spec #. To me it’s curious that multiple obsolete specs were listen on the dipstick...

I’m not seeing ATF+4 being listed as 7176. ATF+4 is type 9602.

ATF+3 is Type 7176E

ATF+, which is a 1973 spec, was Type 7176 without any suffix.

Thus my confusion.

My info indicates that ATF+3 is appropriate for the 47RH, and not compatible with other Dexron fluids besides IID (same as ATF+4 isn’t compatible with other Dexron fluids, but IS back compatible with ATF+3).

So it seems that ATF+4 might be right, but not by spec #. To me it’s curious that multiple obsolete specs were listen on the dipstick...
ATF+4 replaces anything that called for ATF+2 or 3. I'd use it w/o hesitation in a Chrysler product of that vintage.

Sold my 2001 Town & Country to a Dodge mechanic a few years ago, first question he asked was have you ever changed the Trans fluid, i said yes multiple times along with the filter. He asked what fluid did you use and I said Valvoline ATF+4 he said I will be there in 15 minutes. After a short test drive he bought the van. I wouldn't use anything but ATF+4 if I were you.

Sold my 2001 Town & Country to a Dodge mechanic a few years ago, first question he asked was have you ever changed the Trans fluid, i said yes multiple times along with the filter. He asked what fluid did you use and I said Valvoline ATF+4 he said I will be there in 15 minutes. After a short test drive he bought the van. I wouldn't use anything but ATF+4 if I were you.

I suspect that the 1996 MY 47RE is vastly different AT than a 2001 T&C, but point well taken.

A rebuilt AT was installed a short while ago on the truck, which was a reason why I liked/bought the truck. But point taken, and Ill run ATF+4.

My '98 47RE (in my V10 farm pickup, which I worked _HARD_) worked best with ATF+4, including Red Line C+.

YMMV

Back