At what state of health do you replace your battery

Yes, but are you testing them with a modern battery tester that will tell you the actual CCA that the battery has? Or, are you just flying blind without any knoledge of the actual CCA of your starting battery.

These modern testers realy do give you knoledge of the CCA that the battery has.

I lend mine out to relatives and friends and some have preemptively replaced a starting battery before it actually failed. And commented that at the low rating the battery had they knew there was no way it would make it through the next winter.
I've often seen "good" batteries that inexplicably suddenly fail . A tested high CCA will not indicate a sudden failure will not happen. Likely cause is loose, broken or buckled plates.

What brand load tester is everyone using?Does anyone recommend a Noco and what size for a medium size 4 cylinder crossovers?Thanks

I had a two year old AC Delco fail after two years. This after two previous AC Delcos went 6 years each. The voltage seemed good and my battery tester gave it a pass. The tip-off that something was wrong is if I played the radio for 10 minutes, the voltage dropped from 12.6 to 11.6 V and it would not start. Took it it in and tested it at the shop. It failed.

I try to watch cranking voltage and listen for longer or slower cranks.
What do you consider minimum cranking voltage? I've seen a range from 9.0V-10.0 V mentioned. I don't have a load tester of any type, just my trusty Fluke 176.

My 3.0L Ecodiesel has its original 8.5 year old H8 AGM. It sat outside for a week in November. It cranked slower than normal on return, but quite honestly, I don't know if it was slower than normal for the 8 years it's sat out for that same trip. Cranking seems back to its normal energetic levels once back in use daily or sitting for no more than 3 days.

I waited until we had a cold(for here) snap and the truck had been sitting for 3 days to check the battery voltage. Overnight temperatures were mid 20's, the garage was probably low to mid 30's when I ran the test. The "resting" voltage was 12.1V just after opening the door, hood, hooking up the meter, and lowering the hood enough to turn off the under hood light. The voltage dropped to 11.98 during the preheat and read 9.9V while cranking. What do you think?

Ed

Run until failure. I keep a battery jump pack in my trunk. Then I drive to Autozone and get a new battery.
Pretty much this.

Although due to a cluster f of issues a few months back, I've found myself with a brand new WalMart Value Power Group 35 sitting on the shelf in the garage. It is sitting on the Genius1 waiting for me to need it for one of the two Honda cars we have. Time will tell how long the now 6 year old Optima Red in the Acura lasts, I suspect it will be the next one to go, since the Accord has a new battery in it already.

What do you consider minimum cranking voltage? I've seen a range from 9.0V-10.0 V mentioned. I don't have a load tester of any type, just my trusty Fluke 176.

My 3.0L Ecodiesel has its original 8.5 year old H8 AGM. It sat outside for a week in November. It cranked slower than normal on return, but quite honestly, I don't know if it was slower than normal for the 8 years it's sat out for that same trip. Cranking seems back to its normal energetic levels once back in use daily or sitting for no more than 3 days.

I waited until we had a cold(for here) snap and the truck had been sitting for 3 days to check the battery voltage. Overnight temperatures were mid 20's, the garage was probably low to mid 30's when I ran the test. The "resting" voltage was 12.1V just after opening the door, hood, hooking up the meter, and lowering the hood enough to turn off the under hood light. The voltage dropped to 11.98 during the preheat and read 9.9V while cranking. What do you think?

Ed
Voltage 9.6 or above after 15 sec cranking is a good battery. Need to correct for temp Subtract .1 volt from the 9.6 for every 10 f below 70

Last edited:
I replace it the first time it doesn't start my truck, warm or cold weather I don't let the truck sit more than a day and if it can't start it I'm replacing it.

I replaced mine when strange things began to happen. It depends on the vehicle of course, but the Mercedes is very battery dependent. So, odd messages on the dash, coming out of the grocery store and finding the sunroof open, start/stop not working until after a long drive, all these things point to a failing battery.
Tried to "rescue" it with a NOCO 5 but that just prolonged the agony. 😉
Finally decided to bite the bullet and all is well now. The battery was 4 years old anyway, so I think I got my full use from it.
Still use the NOCO on occasion, since I don't drive a lot, but it's been much better.

"At what state of health do you replace your battery ? "
I replace mine only when I am feeling OK. 🤣

Back