At what % CCA do you replace your batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Midtronics PBT 300 and use it frequently to monitor the battery and charging system health of all my vehicles. Expensive but worth ever cent. Takes all the guesswork out of potential battery, charging, and starting issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Midtronics-PBT300...ords=midtronics

I replace any battery that tests at 70% or less of the factory CCA. In today’s world, it is not a good idea for anyone to be stranded on the road or in a parking lot because of a dead battery. That is a particularly dangerous situation for a woman alone. I am always amazed at guys who let their wives or daughters drive around by themselves in cars with marginal batteries jsut to save a few bucks.

Interesting about replacing the Mustang group 96R battery with a group 48. The group 48 battery is over 2" longer and almost 2" taller than the group 96R. I've gone through 2 batteries in my 2012 Boss 302. Ford, in it's cheapness, opted to place the mustang battery right above the passenger exhaust headers. Heat kills batteries, and it's killed two of mine; the OEM which didn't last 2 years and an Autozone Gold which didn't last much longer. Have an Interstate in there now. Too bad Ford, at least in a vehicle they marketed as premier performance, didn't place the battery in the trunk as Mopar does on their Challengers, and I believe Chargers. I drive the car several times a week for more than a few miles so lack of use isn't killing the batteries early.

Originally Posted By: Tim_S
I've gone through 2 batteries in my 2012 Boss 302. Ford, in it's cheapness, opted to place the mustang battery right above the passenger exhaust headers. Heat kills batteries, and it's killed two of mine; the OEM which didn't last 2 years and an Autozone Gold which didn't last much longer. Too bad Ford, at least in a vehicle they marketed as premier performance, didn't place the battery in the trunk as Mopar does on their Challengers, and I believe Chargers.

You are correct that Ford screwed up by putting the battery where they did in your Boss 302. The battery in my 2012 Shelby GT 500 was in the same location and with the same issues. FCA was very smart to put the Challenger and Charger batteries in the trunk. The battery in my Charger stays cool and clean and is very easy to get to. It will be easy to change when the time comes.

Interesting about replacing the Mustang group 96R battery with a group 48. The group 48 battery is over 2" longer and almost 2" taller than the group 96R. I've gone through 2 batteries in my 2012 Boss 302. Ford, in it's cheapness, opted to place the mustang battery right above the passenger exhaust headers. Heat kills batteries, and it's killed two of mine; the OEM which didn't last 2 years and an Autozone Gold which didn't last much longer. Have an Interstate in there now. Too bad Ford, at least in a vehicle they marketed as premier performance, didn't place the battery in the trunk as Mopar does on their Challengers, and I believe Chargers. I drive the car several times a week for more than a few miles so lack of use isn't killing the batteries early.

Did you buy your Boss new? I thought Ford factory batteries were covered under quite a long warranty. Too late now but you might have been able to get a free replacement.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Of course, some CCA loss is normal over time. But at what point do you replace the battery?
The Sienna battery tested at 501 out of 700 CCA, a loss of 29.5%. It's a 4 year old Autocraft gold.
And the Buick battery tested at 499 out of 660 CCA, a loss of 24.4%. It's a 2.5 year old AC Delco Silver.
(Both are JCI batteries.)
Would you guys replace them or wait?

Personally, I wait until there is a starting problem.

Apparently, CCA isn't the best way to make the decision. It's capacity, which is harder to estimate. See this article:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_905a_testing_starter_batteries_in_vehicles

Usually coming into winter, a sluggish start or two.

Then a dose of INOX, picks it back up for that winter, then the first sign of poor cranking the next year new battery time.

Yes, I did buy the Boss new. Car only came with a limited 36K mile, 2 year warranty probably because a lot of Boss owners track their cars regularly. To their credit, Ford has honored drivetrain issues on Boss 302's under warranty within that time frame even if the cars were exclusively used on the track. The OEM battery did fail outside of that period, but to be honest I'd not heard of an OEM battery warranty, Ford's or anyone's. On a positive note, outside of the battery, the car has been flawless, even used as a daily driver for it's first two years.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Of course, some CCA loss is normal over time. But at what point do you replace the battery?...
---/snip/----
Would you guys replace them or wait?

Simple:
Every 3 years like clockwork - $100 Walmart Maxx.

Keeps me at 80%+ at ALL times.

Have NEVER had a failure/stranded/towing - cheapest 'insurance policy'.
ALL batteries are chemistry and a $200/$300 battery will NOT get you 80% @ 6-years, so NOT worth it!

I'd not heard of an OEM battery warranty, Ford's or anyone's.

BMW includes the battery in the free maintenance period with new cars. The battery in my wife's 2011 328i failed one month before the 4 year, 50K mile warranty expired. Replaced at no cost.

I think what you are doing oldoak2000 makes a ton of sense.

I do disagree though that a $270 Northstar battery wouldn't make a difference. I'd bet good money a Northstar battery well maintained would make a big difference.

JHZR2, that internal resistance is troubling. It should be <5 milliohms on a healthy battery, <4 milliohms on a new battery. I'm guessing that your plates are sulfated.

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist
JHZR2, that internal resistance is troubling. It should be

Of course it does. I have a new battery on float charge waiting for the swap. The vehicle cranks perfect in 15F weather so I think Ive got a few more uses out of it. Ready when it fails...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back