Astro Tools 52SL Shop Light

In case anybody is looking for a light, these are fantastic. My original purchase date is 11/22/2021 and I use the light daily. I would rate these lights a 10 out of 10.

The only thing I wish they did different was make the power buttons a different color instead of the same color as the handle, but that's an extremely minor complaint compared to what the light is capable of.

Amazon

In case anybody is looking for a light, these are fantastic. My original purchase date is 11/22/2021 and I use the light daily. I would rate these lights a 10 out of 10.

The only thing I wish they did different was make the power buttons a different color instead of the same color as the handle, but that's an extremely minor complaint compared to what the light is capable of.

Amazon
Looks an awful lot like the one my brother gave me as a gift for (always) helping with his cars-the Harbor Freight Bauer 56329-and there's an even brighter, more flexible one (500 lumens vs. 390), on sale for only $21.99 until 7/4-

Reactions: JC1
Looks an awful lot like the one my brother gave me as a gift for (always) helping with his cars-the Harbor Freight Bauer 56329-and there's an even brighter, more flexible one (500 lumens vs. 390), on sale for only $21.99 until 7/4-

I learned about the light from South Main Auto. I could see how bright the light is from watching his videos.
I figure he can afford whichever light he wants and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

The Astro does have a light at the tip.

Thanks for posting comments.

I was thinking of upgrading from the old, disposable plug-in GE 18" fluorescent under cabinet light I've been using for the past 30 years but there are so many of these LED lights out there it seems like a crap shoot.

Most complaints with rechargable lights is so-so life between charges.

I have their 40SLMAX I got in 2018 when it just came out. It's great, when the battery is not dead, which is "usually." I have to remember to turn it off and recharge it constantly. I hope their newer stuff has better quality batteries.

• Helpful
Reactions: D60
No light at the tip? I find that way more useful then having lights on both sides of the bar. Why would you even need that?
Yes it has a light at the tip. You press the button once for the tip or twice for the main light.

A separate button turns on both sides of the light. I'm always pushing that button my mistake.

I have their 40SLMAX I got in 2018 when it just came out. It's great, when the battery is not dead, which is "usually." I have to remember to turn it off and recharge it constantly. I hope their newer stuff has better quality batteries.
This is why I don't understand lights with built-in batteries.

And give me a separate battery then there's no way I'm getting into another platform and more chargers etc.

I've got dozens of M12 batts in the shop so it's a win-win: I've already got the infrastructure and unlimited battery swaps throughout the day.

I suspect SMA gets a lot of his AP stuff free as he's done product testing for them.

Furthermore now that I'm used to a headlamp that makes way more sense to me, but seems to me guys that make vids can't practically use a headlamp, but maybe I'm wrong as I'm not a YT star......?

I've tried the headlamp thing. It always points up too high to be useful, and I don't like to work with my chin on my chest looking up.

I have lights for every rechargeable battery system I own; 4V, 2*12V, 18V, none of them are as small, narrow, and handy as the 40SLMAX.

I've tried the headlamp thing. It always points up too high to be useful, and I don't like to work with my chin on my chest looking up.

I have lights for every rechargeable battery system I own; 4V, 2*12V, 18V, none of them are as small, narrow, and handy as the 40SLMAX.
Uhhh....they make 'em with pivoting heads?? I can aim mine at the tip of my nose if I'm so inclined....

That said, I'm sure the AP light is awesome and lots of techs seem to like them.

I love em for night time work. Stick two on the hood and boom instant sunlight.

IMG_0339.JPG

Reviews on the harbor freight light are mixed!
I wish I would have went to harbor freight when they had the old model on sale!
I've had good luck with my older model!

I’ve got two of the Astro 65SL which I love for the bright light. However, if I were in the market for another light, I’d look into the Astro 80SL more. It’s got a removable battery pack so you can have one on the charger while the other is working.

Back