Asian vs. Domestic DOT 3 Brake Fluid

I thought that too, but some time back Toyota I believe had issues with non OEM brake fluids, which makes me wonder…

FMVSS 116 says:

S5.3Motor vehicle requirement. Each passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, bus, trailer, and motorcycle that has a hydraulic brake system shall be equipped with fluid that has been manufactured and packaged in conformity with the requirements of this standard.

I've heard that new DOT 4 has a higher boiling point than DOT 3, but that DOT 4 is much quicker to absorb moisture, such that in real life DOT 3 often outperforms DOT 4.

The three vehicles in the family all specify DOT 3.
There are numerous reasons why brake fluid gets moisture in, from the vehicle-specific braking system to DOT 3or 4.
Generally, DOT3 is a choice for appliance vehicles. DOT4 has a higher boiling point, and all racing brake fluids, in general, are DOT4 ( a few hydrophobic ones like Castrol SRF are tricky ones, but that fluid should not be used in regular vehicles. Plus, it costs arm and leg+kidney).
The wet boiling point is measured at 3.49% of the moisture level. Take into consideration that while DOT3 might attract a bit less moisture, wet boiling point minimum is lower than in DOT4 fluid.

I wonder if they have different dye in them like the different types of antifreeze which have identical formulations (e.g., Toyota red, Honda blue, Nissan/Subaru green)? I still have a sealed can of ATE TYP 200 DOT 4 brake fluid with dye (blue) & another that is un-dyed (amber).

FYI, Recochem also has a purple label DOT 3 brake fluid for Euro makes.
View attachment 159145
DOT rules brake fluid must be clear or straw colored. Our Nanny State at it's finest.

On Mars, we Martians have a better DOT3 brake fluid. Its, you know, space age technology.

When OEM comes out with Martian DOT3, I am all there for the marketing.

If the same can be done with coolant, change only the dye, and sell under every color in the spectrum for whatever vehicle that matches the color, so be it.

Yes, as you indicated, selling the "Super Blue" version was outlawed in the U.S. in 2013. That is when I bought six cans of it being cleared out at a good price. You are probably correct that Recochem is simply differentiating the DOT as a marketing ploy.
It wasn't outlawed, blue is fine 'provided' it's not claimed to be DOT compliant.
ATE Classic Tin 01.jpg

Blue was not outlawed in 2013. It was never compliant. Not since 1971. FMVSS 116 (Dec. 2, 1971

See above - Blue is not the problem here, It's those three letters... DOT. Blue is fine, only the claim it's DOT compliant is not. Pour that fluid in you brakes and you're fine. You don't use DOT brake-fluid anyway. More on that later...

ATE Blue Sticker won't make it DOT.jpg

Later on, they lumped a sticker on it to muddy the waters, only it's still claiming DOT 4 and blue. Naughty. The claim is iffy. The sticker changes nothing. It is not DOT fluid. The Blue fluid bit is fine. Any color you like is fine. Only not if claiming DOT. That Hooniverse link misquotes the facts. Again, pour that fluid in you brakes and you're fine. Again, as said, you'll never use DOT brake-fluid anyway. Whatever the label says brake-fluid is not DOT brake-fluid outside its container. As soon as you breach the seal....
ATE Silver Racing 04.jpg

ATE finally made this stuff. Note NO LONGER ANY DOT4 claim. It didn't sell . ATE withdrew it. If you can still get this, it's fine.

Understand DOT. ....DOT brake-fuild is only DOT brake-fluid with its DOT label and in its tamper-evident container. With batch number, with Safety Notice, Mnaufacturer statement etc etc.

If you quote and only quote the following you've not understood FMVSS 116 §1 (Dec. 2, 1971):

S5.1.14 Fluid color. Brake fluid and hydraulic system mineral oil shall be of the color indicated:

DOT 3, DOT 4, AND DOT 5.1 NON-SBBF—COLORLESS TO AMBER.

DOT 5 SBBF—PURPLE.HYDRAULIC SYSTEM MINERAL OIL—GREEN.

Yadda, yadda, the above is irrelevant. It does not apply outside the container. Read it again. Outside the container, the stuff about color cannot apply. Now read the first line of the standard. ...

===========
S1. Scope.This standard specifies requirements for fluids for use in hydraulic brake systems of motor vehicles, containers for these fluids, and labeling of the containers.
===========

"For USE"

In the history of the motor-car no one has ever used DOT brake-fluid. Ever. Hooniverse didn't read the standard either.
And... misquoted the facts. ATE were told to stop claiming DOT compliance for Superblue. This they did. See the silver can, it didn't sell - they stopped.
If you want pink fluid, have it. Your brake-fluid is likely brown now? Your old fluid likely isn't clear, and it's fine. Outside its container, there is no correct color for brake-fluid. Read the standard and WHEN the color requirement applies.

And next time you see someone remove context and mis-quotes the following as fact:

S5.1.14 Fluid color. Brake fluid and hydraulic system mineral oil shall be of the color indicated:

DOT 3, DOT 4, AND DOT 5.1 NON-SBBF—COLORLESS TO AMBER.

DOT 5 SBBF—PURPLE.HYDRAULIC SYSTEM MINERAL OIL—GREEN.
You know they're pretending to have read and understood DOT, and when it applies.

DOT 3 is DOT3. The OP has found a marketing ploy. Nothing wrong with that, people love that stuff. It says Turbo on the box... They'll buy main-dealer brand brake-fluid and anti-freeze. My electricity supplier offer a package to frequent microwave users.

Last edited:
Why are you even looking at Dot 3 when Dot 4 is just a buck or two more per quart, has a higher boiling point and is $8 at any Walmart.
Simple. DOT 4 is unlikely to be an upgrade here. Generally DOT 3 is more chemically stable. It won't go to acid so quickly. DOT 4 is superior on one proviso, you change more frequently. Else, because it'll suck up more water and thus go to acid quicker, with changes neglected, its boil-point will be inferior to DOT 3. The manufacturer specified DOT 3 for good reason. And designed the brakes to function within the parameters of DOT 3 - the brakes don't need the advantages of DOT 4.

And older DOT 4 has disadvantages. All you gain is shorter life. More acid.

It's about change intervals of the average owner. BITOG posts with focus on boil-point before pH can be ill-founded.

Last edited:
I've heard that new DOT 4 has a higher boiling point than DOT 3, but that DOT 4 is much quicker to absorb moisture, such that in real life DOT 3 often outperforms DOT 4.

The three vehicles in the family all specify DOT 3.
Exactly. Can we forget this obsession with boil-point please. Upping from DOT 4 from DOT3; DOT 5.1 from DOT 4 etc isn't always wise.

Last edited:
I agree for most normal applications, DOT 4 is not necessary. I think the different branding for OEM brake fluids is just marketing. I personally use their All Makes version of DOT 3 which has the highest boiling point of 500F. I'm guessing it's similar to Ford PM1C which is popular with many people because it has one of the highest boiling points amongst DOT 3 brands.

Back