Asian Coolants - Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to embark on the 250k service for my '96 Nissan Maxima and part of that service will include a coolant flush. I use Pentofrost antifreeze in all my vehicles-- have had good luck with it, and there's a Pentofrost product to fit nearly every application. Can get concentrate shipped to my door for not much more than a couple gallons of diluted stuff from the store.

That said, my research seems to indicate that Nissan used a green long-life coolant in these years, and recommends a 4 year / 60k mile service. Pentofrost A2 is the appropriate coolant, but what is the difference between the red A1 (pre-2004 Toyota/Lexus/Scion), green A2 (Nissan, Kia, bunch of Japanese makes), blue A3 (Honda, 2009+ Subaru & Nissan) and the pink A4 (2004+ Toyota)? All claim to be a phosphated-OAT (P-HOAT) so the chemistry ought to be similar.

Is there an advantage to using a newer chemistry coolant (for example the A3, which is recommended for the newer Nissans), and could this possibly extend my service interval if I were to do a complete flush and refill, making sure to fully rid the system of the old stuff?

I still have some A3 blue left, as I use it for my Honda Odyssey. Would a switch to the blue (or other color P-HOAT) coolant be of any advantage, or is this a bad idea?

I always thought the colors and whether they were concentrate or diluted were the differences between the part numbers.

Last edited:
There may be an advantage to service intervals, but if I remember correctly, Nissan/Infiniti service intervals traditionally decrease after the first interval. I'm not sure if that applies to the newer vehicles (i.e. 2009+, I believe it is), since I haven't checked. In other words, given the vintage of your Maxima, it's probably hair splitting and the best solution would be whatever is easiest for you. I'm not sure of anything that would say you couldn't switch to the newer coolant. A 2008 versus a 2009 G take different coolants by the manual, but I highly doubt there is a technical difference in cooling system components. Going back as far as 1996, I wouldn't know.

I feel that Pentofrost is a top notch aftermarket coolant. I know for a fact that A-2 and A-3 are the same same except for color and dilution. A-2 is not diluted and green. A-3 is diluted 50% and blue.

Autozone did have both A-2 and A-3 on clearance a while back for $10.00 per gallon, I stocked up as its the only coolant I use in my Japanese vehicles. I have 2 more Acura/Honda not listed in sig.

I think A-1 and A-4 are the same as A-2 and A-3, but I never researched them since I don't own Toyota's.

I use Chevron DELO ELC in my ford after very complete flushing it, it is red heavy duty diesel coolant that does not require any PH testing and is good for 6 years or something like 600k miles, so Toyota is not the only red coolant out there!

I think Delo ELC is very close to Pentofront chemically.

I might use the red A1 when it comes time. I really don't like the fact that my coolant is green, and someone can confuse it for regular green coolant and try to top it off. Maybe the red in there will get them to think twice. If not, ,maybe the do not top off fluids sign I placed under the hood will work.

Originally Posted by Garak
A 2008 versus a 2009 G take different coolants by the manual, but I highly doubt there is a technical difference in cooling system components.

Without starting a new thread - I may if necessary - what coolant do you use in your G ? I have an '08 G35X and noticed that the overflow tank is empty. On other vehicles, it didn't matter - it was for overflow - but my manual says to keep the coolant level between the markings. No overheating issues whatsoever, just want to check on this.

I saw various stuff at Walmart yesterday, all from Prestone if I'm not mistaken, and there were different ones for different manufacturers: Honda/Nissan had one, Toyota/something else/and something else had another, one for a few EU brands, etc. These already included water too so I was tempted to go with the concentrated stuff instead - I don't need to pay for water ! I can get a gallon of distilled water at the grocery for $1.

Last edited:
I use the Nissan OEM green concentrate, which is what was actually specified for my vehicle. I keep my overflow tank in the markings; topping up hasn't been really necessary, aside from one terrible cold snap last year when it seeped a bit, then quit when it warmed up.

Apparently, the 2009 takes the blue stuff, which is normally a 50/50, but they have the concentrate in Canada. I prefer to mix myself, and not pay a premium dealer price for water, like you.
wink.gif
Besides, trying to do a flush and fill with 50/50 is problematic, and a 60/40 mix is actually a better bet for our climate.

Speaking of Canada, I was pleasantly surprised as the Toyota LL pink coloured coolant. It's $29 CDN for the 50/50 pre-mix. The Mopar OAT is $60 from the dealer for the Journey so I ended up buying it online for $50 instead. Not that $29 is cheap but it is coming from the Dodge World. I wanted a jug to have on hand for our trip to Ohio in October. Just in case sort of thing.

Last edited:
Since I only need to top off my coolant overflow tank, I'm looking at getting PEAK Global Lifetime 50/50 coolant. It's on sale at Menards for $5.99 for a gallon too ! Peak calls this their "premium" coolant, for what that's worth....

If all I needed was to top off the overflow tank, I'd almost certainly use distilled water.

I would check to see what % it was to start with. OP is in Kentucky, I believe; I'd be satisfied with 40% glycol after addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back