As the hounds close in . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
And with NVidia's future uncertain,

OK, I missed something. didn't realize NVidia was in trouble. When did this start?

If nVidia's assets (intellectual, human, etc) are valuable to Intel, and Intel buys nVidia, would there be any hope left for AMD+ATI? I hope so, simply for the sake of healthy competition.

I can't speak for the high-wattage CPUs, but IMO for mobile processors and chipsets Intel has done much better than AMD for years. Maybe prejudice now, since I haven't re-evaluated recently, but I don't even consider AMD powered laptops when shopping.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
And with NVidia's future uncertain,

OK, I missed something. didn't realize NVidia was in trouble. When did this start?

A few months ago. They've had massive die yield problems with their GPU's, and then a horrible (less than 2%) yield on the test silicon for the up and coming GPU..... They don't even have a DX11 capable chip on the market right now, whilst ATI has an entire SERIES, with ANOTHER series slated for December.

On top of that, NVidia has been unable to make motherboard chipsets due to their legal issues with Intel. They are not doing very well right now.

Wow! What a role-reversal. It wasn't all that long ago nVidia owned the high-performance graphics market and ATI was an after thought & couldn't get out of their own way. My how times have changed.

So AMD needs to sue to stay competitive?

Unless you're going to the absolute latest and greatest, chips are pretty cheap. Just built a system and yes I picked an Intel because the chip/Asus board combo was better and about $10 cheaper than the most similar AMD set up.

If you can't beat 'em, sue 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back