Ariens 524 jams in gear

Apologies if this is on the wrong section! I have an older Ariens snowblower (524) that jams in gear and won't go back into neutral - keeps wanting to go forward even after releasing the throttle. The shifter also jams. Only way to free it is to shut it off and then pull it backwards and it instantly frees up, can shift etc. Doesn't always act up. Any ideas? Thanks!

Apologies if this is on the wrong section! I have an older Ariens snowblower (524) that jams in gear and won't go back into neutral - keeps wanting to go forward even after releasing the throttle. The shifter also jams. Only way to free it is to shut it off and then pull it backwards and it instantly frees up, can shift etc. Doesn't always act up. Any ideas? Thanks!
Flip it on its nose and look at the yoke that pushes the friction drive wheel. Mine was all rusted. I cleaned it up with fine scootchbrite and oiled it and it worked fine. Also check that the drive plate engagement lever cable ("clutch") is adjusted as specified in the maintenance manual.

This guy, donyboy73, has a 1/2 decent YT site:

Sounds to me like you need to take the cover off the bottom and look at it. I am pretty sure the "transmission" is just a friction disc that slides on a shaft. Probably needs some lube.

HJ - Any updates? Get her fixed up?

Back