Ariens 24" Compact Snowblower Oil changes

I bought new in July 2018 an Ariens 24" Compact Model 920027 223CC Two Stage Snowblower. It came with a Service Manual, but no Engine Manual. I downloaded the Engine Manual since I was interested in oil change intervals. Engine Manual stated if run UNDER 40hrs per year to change oil within 1 month and every 6 months afterwards. I think I started it once in July 2018 to make sure it runs. Then ran it once in January 2019 for the only significant snow storm of the year for under 2 hours of use. I live in snow belt, but last couple years have been mild.

Engine holds 16oz.. Ariens recommends 5W-30 Synthetic oil which is readily available and inexpensive. This machine is kept in an unheated garage that never goes below 35 degrees no matter how cold. Or above 90 in the summer months. Currently the oil dipstick shows full and oil is clear as the day I bought it!

Would you change this current oil before winter of 2019/20. Or wait until spring of 2020 after this season? I hate to waste good oil. But I don't want to run my engine on 2 year old oil either. Your thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

I have an Ariens 24 deluxe with a 250 briggs engine, i run 5w30 syn as well, my blower is around seven years old now i used to change yearly now i go every second and the oil still comes out almost clear.
I don't put a lot of hours on it either though.

The age of the oil is only a minor concern. Your unit is barely broken in with 2 hours of use. Is there anything written in the engine manual about break-in and the first oil change? Typically the first oil change is after 5 hours run-in.

I recommend leaving the oil in and change it out after a couple more hours of service this coming winter.

I would probably wait until after a couple uses this winter or if winter is mild wait until next year to change.

On the other hand oil is cheap and if you dont want to have any possibility of having to change it mid winter.. you could do it now.

I'm going on my 3rd year with Amsoil 0w40 in my Simplicity 13hp after factory drain. Fuel is the bigger concern and how it's stored in summer heat. Myself it runs on VPracing C9 race fuel nothing like a cold morning and the smell of race fuel to start your day.

wagsrk08 the bigger question is what are you going to do with that $ 1.25 that you save if you don't change your oil yearly?

My Briggs & Stratton engine manual for my 24 HP engine (2012) calls for the first oil change at 5 hours. In the event your Ariens has any break-in type of oil, I'd use it for 5 hours before an OC.

I have the Ariens Deluxe 24 with the 254cc engine. This will be season 4 now, and I've always used Mobil 1 5-w30 high Mileage. If it were me, I would change that oil prior to snow season. What the heck; is half a quart of good oil going to break the bank? I think not...

I would run it until 5 hours then change it. Then run that fill for the rest of this coming winter and the following winter. I bought a 2019 30" Deluxe with the 254cc engine in Feb. It has about 30 min on it total and has never been used in the snow. This is my plan. I change oil yearly in the push mower, but every other year in the rider (accumulate about 10 to 12 hours a year) and pressure washer and snow blowers (also have a single stage Ariens with the 208cc).

Oil is cheap but no need to change oil every year after 5 or so hours.

Originally Posted by georgemiller
wagsrk08 the bigger question is what are you going to do with that $ 1.25 that you save if you don't change your oil yearly?

Put it towards a 6 pack of Bud I guess.......

I appreciate the positive feedback. There were no break in procedures in the Service or Engine Manuals. Since it's under (easily) 2hrs of actually run time I'm going to leave it alone until winter actually stops by. If it looks like it will be having a heavy workout season I'll without hesitation change it. Will also use Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic since I already have it on hand for my other small engines i.e mowers.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
I have the Ariens Deluxe 24 with the 254cc engine. This will be season 4 now, and I've always used Mobil 1 5-w30 high Mileage. If it were me, I would change that oil prior to snow season. What the heck; is half a quart of good oil going to break the bank? I think not...

+1.

Are you going to want to do an oil change in the cold weather? I'd change it before the end of October. Plus you'll end up getting busy and say oh shoot I forgot to change the oil again!!!

Originally Posted by wagsrk08
Currently the oil dipstick shows full and oil is clear as the day I bought it!
Would you change this current oil before winter of 2019/20. ?

Absolutely not.

Change it when it looks like it needs to be changed.

Originally Posted by Kestas
The age of the oil is only a minor concern. Your unit is barely broken in with 2 hours of use. Is there anything written in the engine manual about break-in and the first oil change? Typically the first oil change is after 5 hours run-in.

I recommend leaving the oil in and change it out after a couple more hours of service this coming winter.

This +1.

Change out the oil after the first 5 hours of use to get the break-in metals out, then I usually recommend changing the oil every season after that. I have customers with 40 year old snowblowers that run perfect with yearly oil changes of the cheapest 5w30 they can find.

Snowblowers and Lawn Mowers, it's only a sump. A lot going on but compared to a car, simple, not the same. You can go years without changing the oil. Only use synthetic in snowblowers.

I have the Ariens 28" Deluxe with the 254cc engine. Same issue change oil or not. Didn't even use it last year. Previous year about 30 minutes. When I check dipstick it is hard to even see it. I will probably just wait until it gets some use then change it. Don't think it really is going to make any difference.

Originally Posted by spk2000
I have the Ariens 28" Deluxe with the 254cc engine. Same issue change oil or not. Didn't even use it last year. Previous year about 30 minutes. When I check dipstick it is hard to even see it. I will probably just wait until it gets some use then change it. Don't think it really is going to make any difference.
It seems to me that I often see very clean oil on the dipstick and yet very dark oil when it is drained. Don't ask me to explain it, but OPE seems to behave differently than automotive engines in this regard.

My ariens sno thro is from 1966.. changed the 5 hp techumseh engine to a ten hp techumseh engine. I change oil about once a year in the fall. No reason to do more than that. And if you forgot and went three years I bet all is still fine. I just changed oil today on a 7 hp simplicity 22 inch 2 stage. Oil was in it three years. Maybe a total of 15 hours of use in three years..
Oil looked dirty but not horrible. I know you cant see wear and bad oil. But the oil just looked rather normal to me. Mine took about .65 quart.
I used mobil 1. 5 w 20 as I had a quart near me. No other reason.

Back