Are you still getting the amsoil "Advantage" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking about this with fills such as amsoil. I'm a PP user at 5k mile OCI's in my toyota truck. Was looking at the guys running high OCI's on products like amsoil. Does the level of protection go down ? I mean Lets say, amsoil full synthetic at 15K Mile interval. On your average car (no special circumstances) Is 15K mile amsoil still protecting as well as it did at say 5K miles ? Just because it's still useable at 10+K miles, should you still wait that long ?

What I'm saying is, would amsoil full synthetic 5-30 with 10,000 miles on it protect as well as a fresh fill of dino gtx 5-30

From what I see, what makes amsoil so good is the super long OCI's Just because it still "works" that long, is it still protecting more than a dino oil?? I hope this is clear, I'm not sure of any other way to put it

there is some evidence that claims that fewer oil changes are better. If youre not gumming, gunking, sludging, building or degrading, and the add packs are not depeted, TBN, is OK, viscosity is OK, etc. that you may be better off.

Have to look in the archives for that discussion and why it is the case.

JMH

Hi,
this Thread appears to be in the incorrect area!

Well is there really an Amsoil advantage?

If you are comparing a mineral to a synthetic engine lubricant for continued use then it must be done on similar specification products and with an economic bias!

There will be no advantage comparing an Amsoil and Castrol synthetic product of similar specifications - you will not see a distinct advantage - any will likely be minor, at the extremes and economically in-viable! Amsoil is no better at extended OCIs than a similar specification product from a number of other manufacturers

A UOA will of course determine the continuing suitability for use of a lubricant as time/distance goes by!

Regards
Doug

Last edited:
I'm very tired and it's past my bedtime, this will be my last post tonight. Amsoil and castrol were given as examples. I mean, is a high quality synthetic lubricant protecting as well at 15K miles as it is as 5K Miles. I'm a 3000 Mile guy, now that I'm using synthetic I'm a 5000 mile guy. I grind my teeth when the odometer goes over 3000 regardless though

Just because you CAN go to 15K miles, should you ? Over time, the add packs deplete, the oil shears, dirt and soot accumlate. Fuel dilution etc.

Last edited:
In Retail to Retail prices, Amsoil will have the advantage. However, most of the Large Oil Manufactures and Blenders sell their oil products at discount and special prices at least a few times a year....so, the larger Blenders will be less cost per mile in the end with their special prices from time to time.

However....

Is Amsoil IV V doing a better job at 15K than a 7.5 K group III synthetic oil at those time limits? I would say NO, most likely about the same. So the only advantage would be to the price shoppers in my book. And the price range would need to be in the $1.50 to 2.50 dollar range per quart to be ahead of the game.

Originally Posted By: CruzNlife1
Was thinking about this with fills such as amsoil. I'm a PP user at 5k mile OCI's in my toyota truck. Was looking at the guys running high OCI's on products like amsoil. Does the level of protection go down ? I mean Lets say, amsoil full synthetic at 15K Mile interval. On your average car (no special circumstances) Is 15K mile amsoil still protecting as well as it did at say 5K miles ? Just because it's still useable at 10+K miles, should you still wait that long ?

What I'm saying is, would amsoil full synthetic 5-30 with 10,000 miles on it protect as well as a fresh fill of dino gtx 5-30

From what I see, what makes amsoil so good is the super long OCI's Just because it still "works" that long, is it still protecting more than a dino oil?? I hope this is clear, I'm not sure of any other way to put it

Im pretty much in the same boat. Since owning my Taco ive been pretty much a 5000-7000 mile kinda guy with Redline and mainly now Amsoil. Since my Amsoil stash is gone im looking for something new. Ive wasted alot of money with both products but i still cant get myself to do a 10K+ interval.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
I'd rather go 15K on Amsoil than every 3K at Jiffy Lube.

Oh ya',

You'd have to hold a gun to my head before I'd go to Jiffy Lube.

By invoking the Amsoil name you bring out certain biases in both directions. Yes Amsoil has an advantage, certainly compared to Castrol and yes Amsoil is still protecting at 15K. Run Castrol whatever to 15K and get back with me. Find me a couple more 25,000 mile, 14-18 month, gasoline engine OCI's that are even equivalent:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1063533#Post1063533

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1049845#Post1049845

As for PP at 5K vs. Amsoil at 15K. The protection is the same. But it's more of a life style choice. Some people change their oil at 2K - do they get even better protection? Nope. And as stated it could be argued that they get even more wear from: initial new oil not being all that clean, a pretty dry start when oil is drained, and all the heat/pressure activated additives not kicking in.

The main point - match the oil to the engine, climate, driving and life style, UOA, elapsed time interval. I say oil purchase price is a distant tertiary concern when one tank of gasoline for even small a relatively gas tank car costs more than a crankcase of Amsoil.

IMO the life of the engine for 99% of the people will not be affected if you change your oil at 3000 with dino or 15,000 with a synthetic. Over 200,000 miles IMO it makes no difference, now maybe just maybe 300,000 etc but there has never been a real life stusy to compare what you are attempting to prove. Under either OCi scenerio after 200,000 miles other crucial components will wear out and die long before the engine does due to potentially increased wear from long OCI!!!!!!!

IMO the only thing you are primarily saving by using a synthetic with long OCI is the hassle of changing it (either yourself or bringing it to your service place) ever 3000 or 5000 etc. I service 5 vehicles with oil changes, 1 with once a year changes, one every 6 months, another at 7500 (all of these synthetic, and depend on driving condition), and two using dino at 4000.

Whateve lets you sleep at night is the oil and interval to use! Other than that, it really makes no difference

I plan on having this truck for well over 300K miles (seriously) It's coming up on 90K miles now and I drive over 30K miles a year. So in less than 7 years I'll be at 300K miles, and I plan on having it at least that long..

Like I said, I was just wondering if an engine with conventional oil at 3K mile intervals would last as long as an engine with quality synthetic oil at 15K mile intervals. Thats as simple as I can make it. Long intervals scare the [censored] out of me for some reason. I have no problem doing the changes. They're very easy on this truck (20 minutes) And I've got a fully stocked, air conditioned garage. It's a 4x4 too, you can climb under it on a creeper comfortably without even having to lift it. I dont know, just me I guess. I just want it to last, the oil change "hassle" is no big deal. I guess it is for others that might have to take it somewhere. Hmm

**Edit** Sheesh, this forum censors EVERYTHING doesnt it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CruzNlife1
. . .

**Edit** Sheesh, this forum censors EVERYTHING doesnt it

Yep, "A Man's got to know his limiatations..."

Inspector Harry "Dirty Harry" Callahan, Magnum Force, 1973.

Synthetics only really advantage right now is longer drain intervals. In most cases, wear is the same with any brand of oil +/- small ppm in wear differences. Oils like Amsoil/RL/M1 are better for longer drain intervals and certain racing applications where high oil temps are experienced. So if you don't go past 10,000 miles, oils like Amsoil/M1 EP are a waste of $$ IMHO.

I run Amsoil with the EaO filter on my cars for a whole year and don't worry about it. I do no use a by-pass filter. People say the only advantage to synthetic is the longer OCI. However this isn't true, synthetics can increase fuel economy. I know most people don't believe that, but my 1993 F-150 with a 5.8L engine gets 20mpg..a lot more that the estimates.

I used to change my oil every 3 months with Castrol, and the cost of Amsoil was the same as that as well. I liked the way my engine performed with Amsoil, so I have no intentions of switching back to conventional. Since costs have gone up since I first used it, and I don't drive much (~3,500-5,000 miles a year) currently, I plan to do two year OCIs with Amsoil. Unless I begin driving 10,000+ miles a year, then I'll probably judge it by UOAs for extended drains.

I understand an oil can protect 10K or even longer but is anyone getting varnish or any kind of deposits in their engine as a result of the extended OCIs?

Originally Posted By: XPR
my 1993 F-150 with a 5.8L engine gets 20mpg..a lot more that the estimates.

wow my V6 Tundra doesnt get that. Good MPG

My friends 1977 Corvette has run Amsoil for 2 years, there is no vanish in the engine valley or under the rocker covers.

I also run Amsoil ATF and Amsoil gear lube in the diff's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back