Are the new CR-V's really that terrible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've driven just about everything in this class, none are great, but most are good.

I had already purchased a 2017 civic, the ride was a little stiff until I set the tire pressure correctly. The 1.5 turbo was a joy to drive and the mileage was great.

When I started doing research on small crossovers I had already driven most of them, they each had good and not so good characteristics. I was looking for the best price on a reliable good-enough vehicle.

I drove several RAV4s and CRVs, each one drove different, some were much quieter and smoother than others, tires had a great deal to do with it.

I decided on a 2016 CRV AWD Touring with extremely low miles. I went older to get away from the 1.5 turbo in the CRV, although now I'm not as worried about oil dilution as I once was.

The 16 CRV we got is rather smooth and quite for a vehicle in this class.

I had driven a turbo Escape as a company car, very quick, powerful and sporty, it pulled my small boat well. This wasn't what I looking for though, boring and practical was what we needed this time. We were getting rid of an Outback turbo, no way was I getting a newer Subaru, even the older ones were very costly to keep for a long time.

So far it's been a good choice.

We have a 2017 base model, 2.4 ltr engine. The wife mostly drives it. Overall it's been very reliable, 50k now. I am taking it in today for a problem cropping up, the ‘shift release button' failed & fell apart.

This seems very common with this 17 & a few others in nearby years, recall item now. I also don't like how you have to remove the flimsy engine cover to get at the drain & filter to change the oil.

Originally Posted by Mr_Joe
We have a 2017 base model, 2.4 ltr engine. The wife mostly drives it. Overall it's been very reliable, 50k now. I am taking it in today for a problem cropping up, the ‘shift release button' failed & fell apart.

This seems very common with this 17 & a few others in nearby years, recall item now. I also don't like how you have to remove the flimsy engine cover to get at the drain & filter to change the oil.

i have a very easy solution for this....don't put it back on. took mine off on my civic from day one and now my cr-v. i lost .000001mpg and my coefficient drag went up .0001cd

Originally Posted by supton
I think 2019 can have a non turbo motor? Is that cheaper/better for someone who is a total non at person?

Yes, the 2019 CRV LX is the last model and trim to have the N/A 2.4 Earth Dreams engine. My father in law was shopping for a new CRV last month and bought one exactly like this instead of the 2020 model because he refused to own one with the tiny and problematic 1.5t engine. His 2014 Accord Sport has been solid with the same engine and both are going to be his final cars he and his wife own as they're retiring soon.

I think the wife is taking the MIL out today to look. I mentioned that they should make sure to avoid the touring model (MIL might want snow tires and 19" wheels&tires might be pricey!), to check on the LATCH anchors (BIL is expecting and MIL is going to want to be prepared to help in any which way possible), and the bit about the turbo motor, although she's unlikely to have issues (just change the oil early and often). Biggest worry we have is the infotainment system. Although we don't know much about the nannies (lane departure? automatic braking?).

Wife wants to take her to look at RAV4 but doesn't think it'll happen. [Wife thinks we have had good luck with Toyota and that mom should at least look at more than just one vehicle! but she has her heart set on CRV as it worked well last time, 'cuz you know, not much has changed in 16 years.]

Originally Posted by wag123

3. If you are worried about reliability (I would be if my wife was driving it that many miles), the Fiat 500 earned such a bad reputation that they couldn't sell them in the US any longer and have discontinued selling all of the 500 models (500X included) except for the 500L. The Jeep Renegade might hold on a bit longer if they sell well, but they aren't.

Maybe, FIAT can't sell the 500 because everybody in the USA wants a big crossover.
And everybody wants a big SUV with good mileage. That means a tiny 1.5l turbo engine with direct injection and an CVT. You wish it, Honda delivers the CRV.

By the way, the Honda Fit is being discontinued in the USA.

Yes.

Similar to other "cute utes", it's shaped like an egg.

It's a tall station wagon with a FWD-based, rudimentary AWD system.

It's boring.

Everybody and their Aunt have one.

Originally Posted by madRiver
CRV are great new buys because if they don't work out the resale is incredible and you take the least bath possible dumping it.

Or just buy something that's not known to be defective so you can take nice refreshing baths instead?

I think gas dilution case on this engine is way overblown online; I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, it's one of a bestbuy vehicle out there

There are so many horrible opinions on here. I have a 2019 and it is wonderful. I will touch on a few things..

Road noise - the car is pretty well insulated and quiet. If you had a bad experience, its because the tires were probably trashed and you probably drove on a bad road. People are too quick to judge after a short test drive. Guess what..even new luxury cars sound loud as [censored] on bad roads.

Engine - Oil dilution..overblown on the internet. Mine doesnt have oil dilution but oil does smell like fuel. Not even worried at all about this. This engine makes fantastic torque and picks up pretty well. It does 0-60 in 8 seconds so it isn't slow by any means. It gets 35-38mpg on the highway for such a large suv.

CVT - I actually love this cvt. It is insanely smooth and is responsive to your gas input as long as you don't have it in ECO mode. Have fun with your 8spd gear hunting rav 4 and lurchy shifting mazda cx5.

Space - Main reason why i bought this car......the passenger room and cargo space is untouchable by most in this segment.

I do dislike that the climate system is integrated into the infotainment system.

Point is, dont listen to the haters online for an opinion. Formulate your own opinion after driving one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back