Are Diesels Really "Oil Burners"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gonesurfing
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
If you use a fuel conditioner and anti-gelling agent like Stanadyne regularly, you won't have winter issues.

I don't know about BMW, but VW recommends NOT using fuel additives in the new TDI engines. The particulate filter is extremely sensitive to additives and the type of oil used (must be low ash). Parts of the fuel system are supposedly heated so that wax does not cause clogging issues in cold months.

All new diesels must use ultra low sulfur fuel.

Maybe they are equipped with the urea system and that is why?

VW is schizo regarding additives in the fuel. They have said no and yes to additives...just depends on where you look in their literature.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: JimFitzpatrick
... Also,it looks like BMW recommends oil changes every 15K miles.If I pull the trigger here would it be wise to go,say,every 6 months/7.5K miles?

TIA!

I think that would be wise... Those 15K mile OCI's seem a tad bit ridiculous. Oil is cheap, BMW engines aren't!

If you really want to go 15K I would seriously do UOA's frequently for the first little while and see what kind of wear metal, TBN/TAN trends develop. I would think it wouldn't be very pretty. Acceptable, but not pretty.
wink.gif

15K OEM intervals are not out of line. My Jeep Liberty 2.8L with a 6.5 qt oil capacity is getting OEM recommended OCI's around 12K with no problems (did a couple of UOA's to check). The new DD15 engine (a Daimler engine) has OEM recommended OCI's of 50K miles. Diesel engines now, especially the ones with DPF and using SCR, like bluetec, are way cleaner and the oils are holding up longer. ULSD fuel has made a big difference as well.
A little off topic-do you know what year they started w/the DD15 instead of the VM Motori Italian engine in the Liberty?

I think a DD15 is a little big for a Jeep Liberty. It weighs 2800 lb, puts out 560hp and up to 2050 ft-lb, and has a 14.8L displacement. It also takes 48 qts of lube oil.

Charlie
Unimog U500/Unicat camper/Delvac 1 SHC 5W-40

I must have been misunderstood. Was not trying to compare apples to oranges. I was just commenting that all the diesel engine manufacturers are recommending longer drain intervals. My Jeep Liberty Diesel (VM) recommends a 12K interval (not harsh conditions). The new DD15 in semi's is recommending 50K drain intervals (highway use engines). Just showing that for MB recommending a 15K interval was not really out of line with what is going on industry wide. Even I am a little uneasy about going that long without sampling the oil. After samples showed oil holding up, then would take away any concerns. Early results show that DD15 engines are going at or near the 50K drain intervals without any issues, at least from what I have heard first hand or read in the industry publications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back