Are all these Toyota bashing threads really needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: c502cid
My legal friend, have you not heard just once, it's not all about you?

Wow, two personal swipes in one sentence. At least you're efficient...
wink.gif

Gosh, I thought dood had brought this one to a sufficiently graceful conclusion. Who's gonna crash land it now?
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour
The same arguments about checking the coolant could be applied to the oil.

It's long been my belief that the biggest reason for the 3K oil change is that most engines won't consume or leak enough oil in that interval for the level to drop low enough to cause a problem.

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Popinski
People post them because idiots think Toyotas are bulletproof.

Anyone who is deidicated to ANY make is an idiot. EVERY manufacturer has their good and bad vehicles.

I'm dedicated to my country and buy products from domestic manufacturers. That's called "consumer patriotism".

So you are using a made in the USA by union labor computer?

http://www.unionbuiltpc.com/home.php

Although there is such a thing, mine is a Dell, which supposedly was made in Texas.

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I'm dedicated to my country and buy products from domestic manufacturers. That's called "consumer patriotism".

I won't presume anyone was wondering, but this is one of the fanatics I was talking about, and look what happened to the thread once he posted...

Looks like you're the one trying to start trouble, "dood". Nothing wrong with trying to buy American. You have to realize there are ways you can still do it.

www.allamericanclothing.com is one site I go to when I need work clothes. Chevy Malibu is 80% American and assembled here w/union labor. You must do research, though, cause buying American is getting harder.

Your narrow mindness and hatred to anything foreign is quite humorous and sad at the same time.

Well, I don't think there is anything humorous about seeing American workers put out in the street. Sad, yes. How am I narrow minded by wanting to buy quality American products whenever I can? It seems to me that anything other than that is narrow minded. This is our country. I would rather see Americans working.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: c502cid
...sludged engines..cough cough...rusted frames....cough cough....

I am with you on that, I think you forgot some headgasket issues too...but that stuff dosen't count, only bad LIM Gaskets do...
23.gif

Oh no, it ALL very much counts. You guys, however, only want the bad stuff about imports to count. Bad stuff from domestic makers? That's off limits, or just excused away. . .

The worst thing about an import is the American worker in the street after he has lost his job.

Originally Posted By: brianl703

It's long been my belief that the biggest reason for the 3K oil change is that most engines won't consume or leak enough oil in that interval for the level to drop low enough to cause a problem.

Pretty much I reckon.

When the Commondore got the 3.8 with reduced tension ring pack and 10W-30, some of them started grenading between (10,000 km services) due to running out of oil...remember, with our thick oils, 1 litre per 5,000 km was considered unusual and excessive.

Owners, particularly fleets and leases didn't check, the engines ran out...

First fix was a shorter dipstick, to overfill by a litre, and later a bigger sump.

Not to fix the cat destroying consumption, just to not have it run out of oil between services.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Popinski
People post them because idiots think Toyotas are bulletproof.

Anyone who is deidicated to ANY make is an idiot. EVERY manufacturer has their good and bad vehicles.

With almost three decades as a US Marine under my belt, I don't believe my dedication to my country is subject to legitimate question. Now, what you call "consumer patriotism" I would simply call "futility". Most "American" cars are full of foreign stuff; most "foreign" cars have lots of American stuff (or are actually made here...). And just try to buy a TV or a shirt, or a computer, or whatever whilst consistently staying with "Made in the USA" labeling. It's a nice, laudable thought, but it's also sadly unreal too.

I served my country in the shallow water canoe club (USCG 1978-1982). The biggest threat to our country is free trade. Now it's a national security concern because we are dependent on countries like Communist China. If everyone cared enough to insist on buying American all along, can you honestly say that we would be in the economical situation we are in now? I say let the foreign products rot on the shelves, but sadly we don't have much of a choice anymore.

Why is it a good idea to check the coolant level on a regular basis on any car? Because the following can happen, and it's more likely as the vehicle ages:

Hose clamps loosen up and leak, waterpumps start weeping, radiators start leaking from the seam, radiator caps start loosing the ability to hold pressure.

I do not know of anyone [or ever see anyone] open the hood and check anything between their 6 month or 5K miles oil changes...Just came of a long trip a few weeks ago and I did not see one person in any rest area open their hood to check anything and it was hot out.

I live in a large complex and I never see anyone open their hood to check anything...Due to the constant jungle heat down here you would think people would check their fluids more often then normal...The only time a hood is open is when someone is waiting for AAA.

Well, I don't think there is anything humorous about seeing American workers put out in the street. Sad, yes. How am I narrow minded by wanting to buy quality American products whenever I can? It seems to me that anything other than that is narrow minded. This is our country. I would rather see Americans working.

A good and perfectly reasonable point.

===========================================

An even better point (and something I've theorized wondering why 3/3 is so persistent, but the car makers giving up on it calls it in question).

=============================================
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Is this thread done? I think it's done. Motion to lock.

But the winner is this one! Motion granted.

Seriously guys, I don't normally take admin action (such as a lock, move, etc.) on threads in which I've been a player. This one, however, has gone way beyond the original question (though it has stayed reasonably civil -- thanks everyone for that). And nobody else seems available right now. I candidly admit my share of guilt for that part. With all that in mind, let's move on. I'll see y'all in the next us-and-them thread.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back