Apps that track fuel usage like a gas gauge

Is there some app or gadget that acts just like a gas gauge that will show fuel usage. I'm not talking about a mileage, cost, fill up, etc.
Something that works just like a gas gauge.
I mean, they've got step apps and jogging apps that use GPS to measure distances, so why not in a car. All I need it to do is show gas used, just like a gas gauge. I dented the gas tank and damaged the fuel gauge in an accident and the repair costs are exorbitant. Just looking for a gas gauge workaround. Ty.

Is there some app or gadget that acts just like a gas gauge that will show fuel usage. I'm not talking about a mileage, cost, fill up, etc.
I mean, they've got step apps and jogging apps that use GPS to measure distances, so why not in a car. All I need it to do is show gas used, just like a gas gauge. I dented the gas tank and damaged the fuel gauge in an accident and the repair costs are exorbitant. Just looking for a gas gauge workaround. Ty.
The gauge is in the instrument cluster. Do you mean that you damaged the sending unit in the tank?

I don’t think this is realistic unless you connect your phone to the vehicle in some way. Heck my EVIC (lie-o-meter) is never right and it’s part of the vehicle.

Just my $0.02

app or gadget that acts just like a gas gauge that will show fuel usage.
On my vehicle I have a "trip odometer." I set it with a refueling. Then simple math in my head next time I fill up, I used X gallons divided into X miles. Why would someone need a special "app?" If I go slow it's a 5 second process.

Also, all those apps on your phone, really not wise. Have you actually read the permissions you are granting to often hostile entities? Do you really want software engineers in China accessing your banking passwords, pictures, email logins, and GPS signals, stored on your phone?

I don’t think this is realistic unless you connect your phone to the vehicle in some way. Heck my EVIC (lie-o-meter) is never right and it’s part of the vehicle.

Isn't that what the dongle in post #3 here does?

What kind of car is this you wrecked? We might know a cheap workaround.

I had gas gauge issues in my 1966 Biscayne. (It also had a non-functioning odometer, LOL.) I ran a new ground wire through a self-tapping screw through the corner seam to a spot on the frame. The thing only grounded via pressure on its straps from the factory.

That wasn't it, though, so I put my ohmmeter on the single wire sticking out of the sending unit. Verified the ohms were sensible. Got an aftermarket gauge on ebay for $15 and mounted it under the dash.

What kind of car is this you wrecked? We might know a cheap workaround.

I had gas gauge issues in my 1966 Biscayne. (It also had a non-functioning odometer, LOL.) I ran a new ground wire through a self-tapping screw through the corner seam to a spot on the frame. The thing only grounded via pressure on its straps from the factory.

That wasn't it, though, so I put my ohmmeter on the single wire sticking out of the sending unit. Verified the ohms were sensible. Got an aftermarket gauge on ebay for $15 and mounted it under the dash.
Toyota Rav-4, 2012.

Torque will give you an option for all this.

Torque/Torque Pro.

The first three are the options for fuel. Greyed out because it's not talking to the car right now.

The second two are some custom displays I made in about a minute. I was just looking at fuel values over a diagnostic, so I've become familiar with.. there are other apps too, like DashCommand.

Get a Bluetooth thing for the OBD2, they have gotten smaller and work just fine.

Screenshot_20230203-001641_Torque.jpg
Screenshot_20230203-001649_Torque.jpg
Screenshot_20230203-001659_Torque.jpg
Screenshot_20230203-001801_Torque.jpg
Screenshot_20230203-002000_Torque.jpg

Screenshot_20230203-002621_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230203-002708_Chrome.jpg

I use this one. $14.

Screenshot_20230203-002759_Chrome.jpg

Posted 12:28a.m.

Or: note odometer reading or set trip odometer.
223 miles / 11.4 gallons = 19.56 mpg.

:ROFLMAO:

OP @Sturg he may have a point there.. it is no fun when your vehicle runs out of gas, showing about a quarter full, because of a wonky fuel sender unit data issue. That's happened to me.

The apps I listed are reliant on that signal.

You can tell the permissions to pound sand for anything other than talking to Bluetooth as well, this ain't TikTok app. Or Waze . (For when you set it up.)

You can also use this method to see if the sending unit starts reporting accurately again. (Just went through this on one of my vehicles. Values all over the place while driving around. Fuel cleaner seems to have cleaned it up. If your issue is 100% electrical in nature like @eljefino in Post #9 then good aggressive fuel cleaner, even PEA based, may not solve your issue.)

Seriously, how is this so complex as to require all that app nonsense?

I just looked up a 2012 RAV4 with 2.5L. MPG is listed as 21/28 or 24 combined. To be conservative let's say 20mpg combined. 16 gallon tank. 16x20= 320 miles is the max range before MUST refuel.

Fill tank. Set trip odometer. Keep an eye on it. Keep the tank full, don't let the range slip too close to 320 miles. Reset odometer each refueling.

You don't need an ap. I just solved the riddle for you OP. This like ultra simple.

Back