Approved substitutes for Dexron VI

I usually run AC Delco Dexron VI or Canadian Tire Dexron VI in my GM 6L90. I noticed Castrol TransMax multi-vehicle is claiming GM Dexron VI full approval and Mobil is also claiming GM Dex VI full approval. Also in the case of Castrol Transmax it is claiming Mercon LV full approval.

7CD57CF1-5373-4CFC-BEC5-2464E75417A9.jpeg449A5DAF-CBC1-4DF8-987D-CDC1AFE7690F.jpeg9F314601-805C-4D75-AB8B-FC28B6E904EA.jpegC4EC50CB-7F09-4C02-85FA-E300F61F8052.jpegDADABA0C-B8B3-4300-B447-D4A730A076DD.jpegBC81A45A-A157-44C5-866A-F69341ED692E.jpegF0ABB5EA-6148-4F97-A77A-92FB7DAEFB6A.jpeg

Valvoline also has approved Dexron VI, so does Supertech VI. I would have no problem using Maxlife, either.

When it comes to Dex/Merc there are MANY aftermarket options. I was a fan of using MaxLife in a Monte Carlo I had that called for Dex VI. Worked like a charm.

Havoline Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF is an approved GM replacement fluid. I used it when I did a "Poor Man's Flush" on our 2014 GMC Sierra 1500.

Havoline full synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF is a premium quality synthetic transmission fluid that is recommended for most modern 6+ speed automatic transmissions. It has been designed and tested for use in a wide range of vehicles manufactured by North American, European and Japanese automakers (Refer to owner's manual). it also uses the latest generation technology which is approved by General Motors for automatic transmissions and automatic transaxles where a Dexron-VI fluid is specified.

It worked just fine in hte Sierra.

I noticed Castrol TransMax multi-vehicle is claiming GM Dexron VI full approval and Mobil is also claiming GM Dex VI full approval. Also in the case of Castrol Transmax it is claiming Mercon LV full approval.
Careful with the names. Castrol has also a lineup of "TransMax Import MultiVehicle" that is not LV.
The one you want is Castrol Transmax Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic ATF. That's the LV one.

I kept my older cars running for years with Castrol ATF (non LV ones), and I maybe partial to it... but I think it's a very reliable brand.
In my heart is above the MaxLife, that everyone seems to be in love around here.

They have two products that are certified and approved by General Motors for use in all GM vehicles and by Ford for vehicles requiring Mercon® LV transmission fluid. First link says "premium full synthetic" and Castrol Smooth Drive Technology in the description, the second is just "full synthetic".

Last edited:
Back