Apple Update - Big Sur V 11.1 - Feedback anyone?

Be really wary if you use your Mac for any business access and do BYOD.

We have too many problems with our corporate infrastructure with VPNs etc not being compatible with it that they have recommended against it.

A casual home user go for it!

Works fine with LT2P/IPSec and Cisco's AnyConnect products, but yes, if you use something that isn't Cisco, you may have issues.

I had been hesitant to upgrade mine partially because I had read that Big Sur could brick older intel MBPs line mine. I thought it had been resolved, I read how, but it escapes me at the moment.

For the use you describe, which doesn’t seem to include running windows, going with the new Apple silicon makes total sense.

I have an old iPad keyboard for my personal iPad, and one for my work iPad Pro. I’ve found the keyboard to be of minimal use for personal application, and marginally useful for work.

My personal iPad is generally used for reading and browsing, so a keyboard isn’t very useful for me.

Good choice! I wish you lots of luck. Moist a review sometime!
Im always hesitant to upgrade any operating OS right away. I like to wait a couple months for unknown issues to get resolved. I held out upgrading my Mac mini to SUR for four weeks, couldn't take it any longer *LOL* and went with the upgrade.
Nice, no issues, keep in mind my Mac mini is a new 2018 edition.

Yeah, I would wait for more feedback before you take the leap on older OS's. I only skimmed over articles on Sur and MacBook Air/M1
Sur was developed for the new M1 chip and shipped with those units, it wasnt shipped with Intel units, at the same time it is backwards compatible with Intel chips and made to be able to "upgrade" those units.

The M1 Airbook has been working as it should, perfectly, Thank god, my faith restored! MacBook M1 starts up instantly from a cold shutdown (not standby) as soon as you open the laptop cover, the previous Intel units did not, you would press the power button and if you think about it, I can see how a bug can develop on the Intel unit I had before I returned it using Sur. I press the power button and unit was dead. Maybe confused? Only through three keystrokes from Apple tech support ("resetting the controller") would it start up. So Apple is aware and we can bet will be an update to Sur I would suppose.

Anyway, just for the record, I used to hate Apple, pricing, ect. thought they were overpriced. Not anymore. Their business model is different and I love the whole ecosystem AND their belief / company culture is one in the drive for privacy. Cant wait for the choice on iPhones, coming soon, you will be asked if it is ok for apps to track your activity. Its got the industry freaked out, so much Apple being sued, but they will never lose, they are just giving the consumer the RIGHT to opt out of Apps tracking and collecting information about them. Overseas countries "UK" ect ... are 100% behind Apple ... but you know ... USA ... highest bidders get your information ... until now ... just a month or two away.

Be really wary if you use your Mac for any business access and do BYOD.

We have too many problems with our corporate infrastructure with VPNs etc not being compatible with it that they have recommended against it.

A casual home user go for it!
I wouldn't agree with the "casual home user" at all. I would agree some company infrastructure would not be compatible but that is the company choice of systems to run. Other company systems are perfectly compatible and many smaller businesses run exclusively on Apple.
Just replaced my early 2011 MBP with a Mac Mini with the Apple M1 CPU. I will explore its capabilities and differences over the next few days.
Very cool! Look forward to your thoughts and feedback.
I already know its only a matter of time before a new Mac mini M1 is in my future. Not anytime soon my current one isnt even a year old yet and I love it/cant ask for more from it, if my wife moves into the Apple world now that I bought her an iPhone I could pass this one onto her in a year or so if I want. She has a HP desktop and brand new Lenovo Yoga 5i 12 mb, 512 ssd = beautiful machine in moss green.

I got mine for $899, but it’s the base spec model... dual core i5, 8gb RAM, 128gb NVMe SSD. The trackpad on the MacBooks is simply amazing. Has all the same functionality as say the touch screen on an iPad (swiping, pinch to zoom, various other gestures), with the bonus of a mouse cursor.
Your name has come up more then once between my wife and I when talking about my New MacBook Air (M1)
It is freaking awesome, love it. This post of yours above turned out to be so true. Im unsure why Apple doesnt advertise their trackpad more to people who never used their laptops, heck even some "professional" reviews gloss over how perfect the trackpads are.

As you know I REALLY wanted a touch screen laptop and was in dismay that Apple doesnt offer one, not understanding what you typed I have since learned the trackpad does work just as good as a touch screen, in fact I have grown to prefer Apples trackpad over a Windows touch screen!
I can just sit on the sofa in the evening and not even have to lift my arm to smoothly scroll up and down pages, pinch zoom, swipe left and right, ect.
Anyway just wanted to give credit to your post.
Im fully in the Apple OS system now, Mac mini, MacBook Air and iPhone, love the integration. There is no fan on the M1 MacBook Air, amazing and its doesnt get hot, at least for the stuff I use it for and in testing on "professional" reviews. M1 very efficient. But that trackpad, awesome.

For the Windows users out there, I got my wife a Lenovo Yoga. i5 12mb, 512ssd and would recommend this as a beautiful machine/laptop for those who want to stay in the Windows world. To me, its every bit a beautiful machine at a good price $750 or so on "sale" for a Windows based laptop as the MacAir is to an Apple Based laptop.
For the Apple, its a refined thing of beauty and for the Lenovo an industrial type look of precision beauty.

Last edited:
Lol, I’m glad I could help and that you’re enjoying it! I’ve been contemplating picking up a M1 MacBook Pro just to play around with it... I’m stunned by the non-ARM native benchmarks I’ve been seeing. Running circles around Intel equipped macs and even Windows based machines. Even pulling decent FPS in games like Tomb Raider which is pretty demanding.

^^ Yes, before Christmas it was hard to find a lot of testing info on it other then "Apple" statements. Since then much more has come out.
AS far as the "Pro" that does have a fan as the Pro uses all 8 cores. The "Air" which I have uses 7 Cores, speculation on how they keep temps down without a fan. Obviously the "Pro" will handle anything that can be thrown at it, at the same time the M1 Air will still blow away the intel "Air" running with just 7 cores. Granted for someone like me we are splitting hairs, I dont do anything intensive with my computers, I do notice, even in Best Buy slightly more response the second you click on anything, granted splitting hairs compared to years ago.

I accidentally updated my mid 2013 MBA 4G ram, 256 SSD to Big Sur on December 7th. I had been running Mojave thinking that was happy with it and was fine with the modest specs of this age computer. Over the past six months or so I'd been having a few very random freezes and crashes that started happening more often as I did various software upgrades. I figured that it was time to bite the bullet and update to Catalina. I had no idea Big Sur was out. Yes, I did a backup just before the upgrade. I haven't had any freezes or crashes since the update.

It all went smoothly with no problems. The icons are a different look and some things appear simplified likely to make the mac-iphone experience more seamless. A trend I don't care for. Examples are that the battery indicator in the menu bar no longer shows the percentage charge and the icons in mail are not as prominent as the older version. This may have taken place in Catalina though as I ended up skipping it.

There are a couple of things performance wise that that I notice. The news app is more of a memory hog than the older version. It'll often push my memory pressusre into the yellow and for the first time that I've seen, into the red for a brief time. I'm also noticing a delay in loading avatars on here. It's pronounced with Firefox and barely noticeable with Safari. I also get the beach ball a little more often than I used to. It's not often but is there. This is the oldest configuration that is listed to support Big Sur. I suspect that it's a bit much for this minimal configuration. Maybe that will improve with updates.

I'm waiting to see the 14.1 inch MB Pros this summer. I was hoping to get 10 years out of this one, but the M1 chip is such a game changer, I may settle for eight. I've wanted something bigger than the 13.3 but didn't want a 15 or larger.

Ed

^^ Yes, before Christmas it was hard to find a lot of testing info on it other then "Apple" statements. Since then much more has come out.
AS far as the "Pro" that does have a fan as the Pro uses all 8 cores. The "Air" which I have uses 7 Cores, speculation on how they keep temps down without a fan.
Your MBA is using all 8 cores of the CPU. The GPU is a 7 core unit in the base MBA. The 512G SSD model MBA has the 8 core GPU.
Ed

Seems to be working fine for me and I've been running it for roughly two weeks now. I did have printer issues even prior to the update, but it was time to get a new printer anyway and that solved that problem.

My new Mac Mini is absolutely silent no matter what I’m doing on it. Editing photos, playing World of Warships...
Very cool, not sure if you remember but I have the 2018 Intel version of the Mac mini that I purchased back in 2019, absolutely love it.
The latest MacBook Air M1 has now completed my transition into the Apple world. iPhone, Mac mini and Mac Air. Done with Windows though we have a lot of Windows computers in the house, wife still on Windows, for now anyway.

With that said, if she ever moves all the way into Apple which I think she may someday or year as I just got her an Iphone 11 and she loves it. I would give her my Intel Mini and get an M1 Mini for my desktop. To this day I look at the Mini, truly amazing at what it does and dead silent.
She will always be somewhat in the Windows world as her company work at home computer is a Dell Workstation and in addition to the Iphone I just got her, I bought her a new laptop, Lenovo Yoga i5 12mb 512 SSD which is a stunningly well built/looking windows machine.

Anyway, love this stuff, been computing since Windows 95 came out *LOL* ... and Apple has just transformed my world into a whole new adventure, love it and the integration among my devices, not even a thought needed.

Talking about "love this stuff" We currently have Spectrum internet. As a matter of principle I am sick of the 70% price increase over the last few years, been waiting for our local electric company who provides internet service to lay fiber in our community BUT being we dont have overhead utility poles we are "last" on the list.

Anyway! TODAY! Tuesday, Delivery by 9PM, arrives a T-Mobile Home internet modem/router!
Im looking forward to testing it out over the next month or two, for a FUN PROJECT. I doubt it can replace our current Spectrum service but MAYBE it can. We have a TON of wifi devices, over 20 in all including 4 security cameras and home landline through Ooma PLUS MY WIFES WORK STATION and phone with her company provided Cysco router and plugged via cat 5 and powerline adapter into the back of our home router.

We will see if the TMobile will be up to task. For testing purposes at first, I will simply take our current router and plug it into the Tmobile router/modem and my wifes work station plug into the back of the Spectrum modem, for now, as I cant risk her work day getting interrupted.
I expect TMobile will serve the needs of the household and all our wifi devices but only time will tell if it can complete the "picture" by taking on the demands of my wifes workstation. I doubt it but it will be fun AND if it did, well, TMobile is already planning, testing 5 G home internet service to a select few. Its only a matter of time I think, that landline internet will be just as popular and landline telephone. :eek:)

(ok, its early, and rushing to work, I see I already posted some of this stuff in a earlier post) *L*

Last edited:
Back