Apparently, nothing is sacred anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
sayjac said:
So let me get this straight. You went to Walmart to buy the Stanley vacuum bottle, took it home and found out it was made in China?

And this is Walmart's fault that Stanley decided to outsource the manufacture of the bottle to China?

Actually if Yes it could and probably is. If you have ever read of the history of Walmart and how they push for every less penny that they can out of a supplier and keep pushing it is easy to see. Companies have gone from manf with a union workforce to a lower lever non union workforce to Mexico and finally overseas to keep up with Walmarts demands. The problem comes when a company is so indebted and dependent on Walmart that they have to keep meeting the demands. Also go and look how Walmart has expanded in China in the few years that they have been there. Whatever Walmart does also forces places like Target to also buy the made in China. Walmart sells cheap priced products but at what cost?

Originally Posted By: 65cuda
sayjac said:
So let me get this straight. You went to Walmart to buy the Stanley vacuum bottle, took it home and found out it was made in China?

And this is Walmart's fault that Stanley decided to outsource the manufacture of the bottle to China?

Actually if Yes it could and probably is......

Well, that would be your opinion. Afaik, Stanley vacuum bottles is not a Walmart brand or subsidiary and no company is forced to use them as a vendor.

However, if you feel that way, as said above, simply don't shop at Walmart and/or purchase any products made in China.

I've got no problem with that solution if it suits your ideology.

Originally Posted By: 91344George

@jcwit:

Being a vet you must know that the biggest threat to the USA from an enemy is China .A SIGNIFICANT amount of the profits from those goods you buy from them goes into the chinese military. No one else comes close to being a threat, especially those guys living in the caves over in Afghanistan or Iran which HAS NEVER in its history ever started a war, they have only reacted to being attacked first.

How very well I know this, all to well. But being a 100% disabled vet and at the age of 68 just where do you suggest I attempt to save the monies I receive monthly?

I'm open to suggestions. If not for Wal-Mart my living conditions would be far worse than they are now.

If you have a solution to this conundrum let us know, time is getting shorter by the day.

Well, that would be your opinion. Afaik, Stanley vacuum bottles is not a Walmart brand or subsidiary and no company is forced to use them as a vendor.

However, if you feel that way, as said above, simply don't shop at Walmart and/or purchase any products made in China.

I've got no problem with that solution if it suits your ideology. [/quote]
Actually though because of the Walmart size Stanley and the rest have little choice but to follow Walmarts cost cuttings at all cost. My question is at what point does cost savings at any cost become predatory and hurt the economy of the market you are operating in?
Actually I do try to avoid shopping at Walmart. As far as the choice of not buying China made products it is almost impossible in many fields so that is kind of red herring solution.

If you want an American-made Stanley bottle, one has to get a used one on Ebay. We got one on Ebay, it works great.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
[
How very well I know this, all to well. But being a 100% disabled vet and at the age of 68 just where do you suggest I attempt to save the monies I receive monthly?

I'm open to suggestions. If not for Wal-Mart my living conditions would be far worse than they are now.

If you have a solution to this conundrum let us know, time is getting shorter by the day.

The unfortunate part is that our "war machine" keeps feeding the huge beasts called defense contractors, that take trillions to build overpriced planes, vehicles, and other related items.

The gov't needs to put aside more money for those bearing the cost of fighting and they need to take it from the wares producers. Many of the things they build today they don't need, and most times they completely overpaid for them at the taxpayers expense including yours.

If our gov't was paying those like you what they deserved you wouldn't have to be buying our enemies wares.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 65cuda

Actually though because of the Walmart size Stanley and the rest have little choice but to follow Walmarts cost cuttings at all cost. My question is at what point does cost savings at any cost become predatory and hurt the economy of the market you are operating in?
Actually I do try to avoid shopping at Walmart. As far as the choice of not buying China made products it is almost impossible in many fields so that is kind of red herring solution.

Hear hear!

That is the problem today it is very very difficult to find many items that are NOT produced in China to the exclusion of everywhere else.

Again the general US public NEVER wanted this scenario (free for all trade), big corporations that paid off our legislators via lobbyists wanted what we have today.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
... plus it was rusty on the inside, yes Stainless Steel can rust...

There are many different grades of stainless. Some are rather difficult to corrode.

I looked at a "stainless" Wolfgang Puck cookware set that my friends bought from a QVC-type of network. It developed black spots on the inside that would reappear with the same pattern, no matter how much they were scrubbed. After examining it in the lab I realized the cookware was plain carbon steel with chrome plating. The plating (usually brittle by nature) was flaking off, and was cathodic to the base steel, causing it to corrode. In addition, the rivets for the handle were wasting away from corrosion. The only thing stainless in the set was the thin cladding on the pan bottom. Yes, it was made in china.
wolfgang puck is on of the biggest shills on QVC, he'll put his name on anything. he has no shame at all.

Quote:
...Actually I do try to avoid shopping at Walmart. As far as the choice of not buying China made products it is almost impossible in many fields so that is kind of red herring solution.

I guess it depends on how strong or committed you are to your ideology. From your posts you appear to blame Walmart for the Stanley bottle now being made in China. That being the case I would think you do more than 'try' to avoid shopping at Wally. Also, while it might take more effort and perhaps money, I'm not aware of many/any products that can't be purchased made in the USA. Sounds more like some kind of justification. So no red herring imo.

Difference with me, I'm not going to blame Walmart for Stanley's decision here. If the OP doesn't want a bottle made in China from Walmart, take it back.

As another poster said on another thread, Walmart has become a convenient whipping boy for all things made in China. And this thread is yet another example.

I have quite a few thermoses made by Stanley and Thermos. I still have the first one I bought new in 1992 and it is American made. All of the new Stanley thermoses are made in China and have been for awhile now. The "Thermos" brand thermos is also made in China now.

I seriously doubt it is Walmart's fault that these thermoses are now made in China. The Stanley and Thermos brand thermoses that I bought new back in the 90's came from Walmart. These thermos companies are just doing what pretty much every other company in this country has done and went to where their product can be made for a cheaper price. It is all about the profit these days, not about quality.

If you want the American made Stanley's, go on Ebay. There are a ton of them there and many are like new. In the past couple of years, I have bought a few like new ones off of Ebay as well as some of the older 70's model Thermos brand thermoses also.

For some reason, I went on a Thermos collecting spree and now have 15 Stanley and Thermos brand thermoses.

A great way to clean out old thermoses are with baking soda and hot water and let it sit in the thermos for awhile. I also use a bottle brush on the real dirty ones.

Wayne

Your choice if you want to dismiss Walmarts tactics, but to me their tactics force companies to go to China. Maybe you think I should just "try" a little harder, but at what point do you have to go and yes there are things, like usually electronics that are hard to find without being overseas products. Walmart fully deserves the whipping boy award and in some respects this is a example of people dismissing it.

Originally Posted By: wtd
I seriously doubt it is Walmart's fault that these thermoses are now made in China. The Stanley and Thermos brand thermoses that I bought new back in the 90's came from Walmart.

If you look at the poor bugger who cracked it into Walmart with his gallon jars of pickles, once Walmart had their hoks into him and the thumbscrews turning, he was stuck.

Once your product is on their shelves, they force you to cut your margins just to stay on the shelves.

Does anyone else remember the big Made in America push Walmart made back in the 90's? The even had big posters hanging from the rafters of smiling, shiny factory workers. I remember one specifically was Zebco but they had many more. Talk about a 180!

With all the hatred towards Wal-Mart they still stay on top being the largest retailer here in the U.S.A. and no one else even comes close to their pricing on a day to day basis.

With all the hatred towards Wal-Mart they still stay on top being the largest retailer here in the U.S.A. and no one else even comes close to their pricing on a day to day basis.

The defining concept of Wal-Mart and globalism as a whole is predicated on a number of factors. Namely cheap petroleum, slave labor working conditions, and disregard for environmental regulations where the products are made. If you think that a business model can be sustained long term on the above factors, it can't.

People seem to enjoy $5 waffle makers and nearly causing riots trying to procure them. (See: Black Friday 2011) But reality has mandates of it's own, namely that the "Everyday Low Prices" will ultimately end up being shown as a farce.

"The sorrow of poor services remains long after the joy of low price has been forgotten"

...and no one else even comes close to their pricing on a day to day basis.

this is THE biggest myth and everyone believes it. my wife is a master at saving money at the grocery store, watching sales and couponing, and she will NOT shop at WM. many grocery stores can beat their pricing on many items. the section of WM groceries suffers also because they will only stock the #1 and #2 of an item; if it doesn't sell well, off the shelf it goes. so now, WM is taking away our freedom of choice by dictating what will even be available to us to purchase!
I've heard people express this; someone will say I can't find it, and when you ask them where they went, they say WM didn't have it.
WM has the advantage of being so ubiquitous that people just assume the pricing is always the best, so they just figure 'eh, get it at wal mart'. the sheep are SO accustomed to it that even when something they know is more expensive than somewhere else, they will still buy it at WM because they are already there.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech

The defining concept of Wal-Mart and globalism as a whole is predicated on a number of factors. Namely cheap petroleum, slave labor working conditions, and disregard for environmental regulations where the products are made. If you think that a business model can be sustained long term on the above factors, it can't.

People seem to enjoy $5 waffle makers and nearly causing riots trying to procure them. (See: Black Friday 2011) But reality has mandates of it's own, namely that the "Everyday Low Prices" will ultimately end up being shown as a farce.

"The sorrow of poor services remains long after the joy of low price has been forgotten"

Please note my previous post, here it is,

Further more if Wal-Mart really wanted slave labor conditions they would be getting their merchandise made in Africa and not china.

Regarding the comment about bad service and low prices, there are times where value comes into play also. But what do I know as I only spent over half of my working career as a procurement officer or as they were called then Purchasing Agent.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
...and no one else even comes close to their pricing on a day to day basis.

this is THE biggest myth and everyone believes it. my wife is a master at saving money at the grocery store, watching sales and couponing, and she will NOT shop at WM. many grocery stores can beat their pricing on many items. the section of WM groceries suffers also because they will only stock the #1 and #2 of an item; if it doesn't sell well, off the shelf it goes. so now, WM is taking away our freedom of choice by dictating what will even be available to us to purchase!
I've heard people express this; someone will say I can't find it, and when you ask them where they went, they say WM didn't have it.
WM has the advantage of being so ubiquitous that people just assume the pricing is always the best, so they just figure 'eh, get it at wal mart'. the sheep are SO accustomed to it that even when something they know is more expensive than somewhere else, they will still buy it at WM because they are already there.

Can your wife do your complete household budget on less than $1200 a month, every month? This is everything except pleasure monies?

If it wasn't for Wal-Mart I couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back