Anyone with a RAM 3500 G56 (6-SPD)?

I have a local customer who still has factory fill ATF in his 2012 RAM 3500 G56 MT. He says it shifts OK.

Wants to try MTF.

Anyone try alternative MT fluids?

The G-56 is a very heavy duty transmission with a pretty serious problem. We had a recurring issue with the fifth gear nut backing off. I don't remember why the nut backs off, but it does.

Here's a good thread on the lube subject:

The G-56 is a very heavy duty transmission with a pretty serious problem. We had a recurring issue with the fifth gear nut backing off. I don't remember why the nut backs off, but it does.

Here's a good thread on the lube subject:

He didn't mention the nut issue.

Thanks. I missed that thread in my search. Good link.

He should be just fine with Amsoil MTF.

I ran Mobiletrans SHC-DC in mine. That’s what Mercedes-Benz spec’d for that transmission.

I’d be careful with fluid selection. Synchros are only serviced as an assembly and (it’s been a few years but…) if I recall correctly the blocking rings have friction material in them. The ATF+4 is supposed to make the synchros work better.

I’d be careful with fluid selection. Synchros are only serviced as an assembly and (it’s been a few years but…) if I recall correctly the blocking rings have friction material in them. The ATF+4 is supposed to make the synchros work better.
I cannot imagine MTF messing with the synchros. People have used it for years, no issues.

But even odder, people have used MTG and even 75W-90 gear oils with no issues. So I dunno.

Mobiletrans SHC-DC is even higher viscosity so a 9.5cSt fluid, designed for MT's should not be a problem.

Back