Anyone Using a Cordless Walk-Behind Battery Operated Lawn Mower?

I was late to this thread too, but I have the same Ryobi mower and I bought it for just what you're talking about and I've had it over three years and it's going strong and doing the job well. I couldn't be happier with it.

Reactions: JC1
The gas powered lawn mower my dad left me when he passed away has finally given up the ghost. It was your basic, non-bagging lawn mower, that was light enough to push and pull easily. Our yard is extremely sloped, a common occurrence here in the mountains, and that lawn mower helped to reduce the amount of weed trimming that's needed by allowing me to mow some of the top part of the slope. I've already purchased a combination front/rear wheel drive mower to help with the slope but it is extremely heavy. I'd like another lighter, easier to maneuver mower for the same purpose as the old one. Does anybody here use one of the newer battery powered mowers, and if so, what model? Also what are your likes/dislikes of your mower. Do they do a good job of cutting your grass? Are they powerful enough for your needs? Thanks.
Ryobi 40v push mower been doing great. Words can’t describe how happy i am with it. Less than 1/4 acre got 2 mows on a single charge the mower is whisper quiet I can listen to headphones at moderate level even have a conversation on the phone. It just purrs along and when you hit a heavy patch of grass the motor torques up nicely then goes back to a lower pace. as much as I love gas engines changing oil etc I would never go back to a gas mower not ever.

Reactions: JC1
I was looking at the DeWalt Mowers as well. I've got an assortment of the 20v tools, so the battery compatibility is a no brainer for me. I'm working a my garage Reno this summer and I'll probably look at replacing my mower next year.

My parents had a corded mower back in the early 80s at our beach house, so that’s my only past experience. It never skipped a beat. It was green and grey plastic; Craftsman, I believe. My dad was a busy doctor and his answer to most handyman tasks or broken tools was to open the phone book and hire someone to help. So I have no doubt the poor mower never had its blade sharpened or any cleaning or maintenance done.

Anyhow, as of a couple weeks ago, we have a HF “Atlas” brand self-propelled. So far so good. We have put about six hours of use on it.

The Atlas can take two 2.5A batteries
at once. We bought two and I’m glad we did.

We have two lawns and the battery-powered mower is intended for about 1/3 acre in the rear of the property.

In mixed-height grass, using self-propel mode sparingly, two batteries last about an hour total. In the initial cut of some tall grass, using more self-propulsion, that figure was closer to 35 to 40 minutes.

The only reason we bought this mower is because of a false promise made to my wife on the phone which led to the local HF bending over backwards to keep a good customer. We spend at least several thousand dollars a year at HF and they must know that. I was considering a battery mower to live in a shed far out on our property where my wife can get to it easier than maneuvering the gas mower we have from the house.

The conventional push mower was on sale for $199. There was a deal for $30 off if a battery and charger were purchased at the same time. We also had a 25 percent off coupon.

My wife called ahead and they said they had the push mower in stock. The website said out of stock but it’s proven to be inaccurate in the past, which is why she called. We live in the proverbial middle of nowhere so my wife spent quite a while getting ready and then driving to HF. When she got there they had no mowers on display. She asked and someone said they had none and hadn’t had any in a while.

She complained and asked for a manager. The manager recognized her. Suddenly there was a self-propelled mower the manager magically remembered in the back room.

The out the door price, after coupons and the manager’s discretion due to a little complaining, was just over $200 for what we purchased. I haven’t seen the receipt yet but it was on the debit card record. I couldn’t believe it when my wife told me the price; I felt we got a great deal. After using the mower a bit, I stand by that sentiment.

I mowed for the first time with my new mower yesterday. It exceeded my expectations. Even with a narrower cut than my old mower, it actually took less time. The cut was better than I expected. When inspecting the blade before mowing I noticed the blade is on the thin side. Now I know why the manual cautioned against running over rocks. I'll have to be cautious because rocks are a given where we live. Cheers everyone.

Back when I used to do my own yard maintenance, I got very tired of dealing with two cycle mowers and took a chance on a craftsman battery powered push behind mower. No self propelling but just a push behind and it was like discovering sliced bread! I had always avoided electric lawnmowers because I’m not a fan of the corded types and dealing and wrestling with cords all the time. But with this battery powered/cordless model, I could get an hour and a half and up to a half acre of mowing on one charge and being set free from the intense maintenance of gasoline mowers put a smile on my face. Other than an annual sharpening of the blade when the spring season started, that is literally all I ever had to do to this thing except for plugging it in. It was literally a “plug and play” experience.

If you cannot or do not want a gas powered honda, get a lithium powered cordless but do **NOT** get a lead acid version or you will be doing replacment batteries every 2-3 years.

Back when I used to do my own yard maintenance, I got very tired of dealing with two cycle mowers and took a chance on a craftsman battery powered push behind mower. No self propelling but just a push behind and it was like discovering sliced bread! I had always avoided electric lawnmowers because I’m not a fan of the corded types and dealing and wrestling with cords all the time. But with this battery powered/cordless model, I could get an hour and a half and up to a half acre of mowing on one charge and being set free from the intense maintenance of gasoline mowers put a smile on my face. Other than an annual sharpening of the blade when the spring season started, that is literally all I ever had to do to this thing except for plugging it in. It was literally a “plug and play” experience.
”Intense maintenance” on your 2 cycle mower? Just sharpen the blade and give it a new plug here and there. Dont even need oil changes. Even a 4 stroke mower isn’t anything approaching intense maintenance Lol.

”Intense maintenance” on your 2 cycle mower? Just sharpen the blade and give it a new plug here and there. Dont even need oil changes. Even a 4 stroke mower isn’t anything approaching intense maintenance Lol.
I wish my experience reflected your perspective. While I enjoy working on my car, I don't share that love for small traditional 2 cycles. Or perhaps just my unfortunate luck, but every one that I've ever owned and used has been cantankerous and stubborn. I also don't care for the cloud of blue smoke I've always tasted when running one of those. Picture "Pigpen" from the Peanuts comic strip and is me with traditional gas powered mowers! But maybe its just me?

I wish my experience reflected your perspective. While I enjoy working on my car, I don't share that love for small traditional 2 cycles. Or perhaps just my unfortunate luck, but every one that I've ever owned and used has been cantankerous and stubborn. I also don't care for the cloud of blue smoke I've always tasted when running one of those. Picture "Pigpen" from the Peanuts comic strip and is me with traditional gas powered mowers! But maybe its just me?

How long has it been since there was a 2 stroke mower for sale in the US, late 90s early 2000s?

My parents had a corded mower back in the early 80s at our beach house, so that’s my only past experience. It never skipped a beat. It was green and grey plastic; Craftsman, I believe. My dad was a busy doctor and his answer to most handyman tasks or broken tools was to open the phone book and hire someone to help. So I have no doubt the poor mower never had its blade sharpened or any cleaning or maintenance done.

Anyhow, as of a couple weeks ago, we have a HF “Atlas” brand self-propelled. So far so good. We have put about six hours of use on it.

The Atlas can take two 2.5A batteries
at once. We bought two and I’m glad we did.

We have two lawns and the battery-powered mower is intended for about 1/3 acre in the rear of the property.

In mixed-height grass, using self-propel mode sparingly, two batteries last about an hour total. In the initial cut of some tall grass, using more self-propulsion, that figure was closer to 35 to 40 minutes.

The only reason we bought this mower is because of a false promise made to my wife on the phone which led to the local HF bending over backwards to keep a good customer. We spend at least several thousand dollars a year at HF and they must know that. I was considering a battery mower to live in a shed far out on our property where my wife can get to it easier than maneuvering the gas mower we have from the house.

The conventional push mower was on sale for $199. There was a deal for $30 off if a battery and charger were purchased at the same time. We also had a 25 percent off coupon.

My wife called ahead and they said they had the push mower in stock. The website said out of stock but it’s proven to be inaccurate in the past, which is why she called. We live in the proverbial middle of nowhere so my wife spent quite a while getting ready and then driving to HF. When she got there they had no mowers on display. She asked and someone said they had none and hadn’t had any in a while.

She complained and asked for a manager. The manager recognized her. Suddenly there was a self-propelled mower the manager magically remembered in the back room.

The out the door price, after coupons and the manager’s discretion due to a little complaining, was just over $200 for what we purchased. I haven’t seen the receipt yet but it was on the debit card record. I couldn’t believe it when my wife told me the price; I felt we got a great deal. After using the mower a bit, I stand by that sentiment.

Back to give the one year report…

Mower and batteries still going strong! Blade didn’t even need to be sharpened at the end of last year.

I’ll update again at the end of this summer…

My neighbor has an EGO mower and I am impressed with it although I am not ready for an electrical mower yet.
My neighbors ego mower caught fire and melted two years ago. Now they've changed the blade mounts and blade from what my neighbor has told me. I'd skip.this brand, they seem to be throw aways.

My push mower smokes a little with conventional. I switched to a heavier synthetic and all is well. My two stroke Stihl trimmer doesn't smoke at all.

Just bought this yesterday. Time will tell. 70891141241__CDEA3EA2-08E0-449C-9F96-D744EA25D5B2.jpeg

Back