Anyone used Amsoil CVT fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of dealerships I called and Amazon.com have Mopar CVTF +4 priced between $17.50 and $17.96 per quart.

Amsoil CVT at full retail is $13.70 per quart.

Interesting...

I have always found Amsoil to make very high quality products.

They are rarely the cheapest though!

That sounds like a nice savings, the compatibility issues are what would worry me...

I have searched quite a bit, and nowhere have I found any posts from end users one way or the other. And I haven't found any UOAs or VOAs of Mopar CVTF +4 nor Amsoil CVT fluid.

I would personally only use a OEM CVT fluid only. Subaru has had an unbelievably low failure rate on the their CVT's. They specify a spec that no after market CVT fluid meets.

If I were to go non-OEM I'd go with Amsoil above all synthetic blenders.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
I have searched quite a bit, and nowhere have I found any posts from end users one way or the other. And I haven't found any UOAs or VOAs of Mopar CVTF +4 nor Amsoil CVT fluid.

Amsoil CVT has only been out for a couple months. Not many people are changing their CVT fluid yet.

What kind of information could be gleaned from running VOAs on a sample of Mopar CVTF +4 and a sample of Amsoil CVT (from the same lab) and comparing the results?

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
What kind of information could be gleaned from running VOAs on a sample of Mopar CVTF +4 and a sample of Amsoil CVT (from the same lab) and comparing the results?

Not much. I mean it would be interesting to see the very simple viscosity measurements and the elemental counts of the semi-metallic additives, but no real conclusions could be drawn.

Amsoil's CVT fluid meets Nissan's NS-2 specifications.

My 2014 Altima requires NS-3.

I am currently running AMSOIL CVT fluid in my 2012 Subaru Impreza. I did 4 drain and fills over a 5K mile period and have 17K miles on the fluid since the last drain and fill. Driveablility hasn't changed but it feels a bit smoother on hills (The old fluid was well used and the CVT was overfilled by the dealership so I am not surprised.).

Best of all, with my preferred customer discount the AMSOIL fluid turned out to be the cheapest option for fluid at $10.45/quart including tax and shipping. Valvoline came in a close second price-wise at $10.52/qt (AAP). Redline Non-slip CVT and Subaru K0425Y0710 CVTF came out to be over $14/quart.

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
I am currently running AMSOIL CVT fluid in my 2012 Subaru Impreza. I did 4 drain and fills over a 5K mile period and have 17K miles on the fluid since the last drain and fill. Driveablility hasn't changed but it feels a bit smoother on hills (The old fluid was well used and the CVT was overfilled by the dealership so I am not surprised.).

Best of all, with my preferred customer discount the AMSOIL fluid turned out to be the cheapest option for fluid at $10.45/quart including tax and shipping. Valvoline came in a close second price-wise at $10.52/qt (AAP). Redline Non-slip CVT and Subaru K0425Y0710 CVTF came out to be over $14/quart.

That is great to hear. You are the only poster I've found who has used Amsoil's CVT fluid. I have quite a few miles to go before I change out the fluid, but I will most likely go with Amsoil's CVT over Mopar's version.

I am starting to sell more and more Amsoil CVT. I really don't follow the CVT world, or rather I didn't, but people are starting to say the stock fluid is pretty nasty at 20-30K miles in various cars, so my interest has been queued up. But really that doesn't mean the fluid is failing - just reports, visual and olfactory. So I have asked some folks to get a UOA on the stock CVT fluid, we will see.

So far people are pleased with the change out.

Pablo when you say they are pleased do you mean they can tell a difference in feel? Noise? Smoothness?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Pablo when you say they are pleased do you mean they can tell a difference in feel? Noise? Smoothness?

Just no complaints and no difference in feel from the new car. I think that's a good thing.

With the temps some of these CVT's run at (320+F), I'm not surprised they are hard on fluid. Doesn't the Murano have 3 transmission coolers?

I'd run AMsoil if it were my car.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Just no complaints and no difference in feel from the new car. I think that's a good thing.

I just wished that Amsoil would dye the fluid green/yellow instead of red. It would raise far fewer flags.

subaru alone has 2 different cvt fluids, I'd be wary of any fluid that says it can replace more than one of these specific use fluids.

Also kinda scary when they are replaced as a unit not able to be rebuilt.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Pablo

I just wished that Amsoil would dye the fluid green/yellow instead of red. It would raise far fewer flags.

Big +1

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Why do you say the Amsoil CVT is red?

Amsoil CVT is the natural light amber, or honey colored, looking more like motor oil than ATF. Not red. This was specifically chosen because it is a universal fluid that goes into so many OEM’s therefore Amsoil choose a neutral color and avoided red so it doesn’t get confused with ATF.

BTW CVT fluid colors are all over the map, examples:

Nissan: green
Honda: pink
Subaru: blue
Ford: blue
Chrysler: green

Let me know, this is interesting. Two of you have actually seen and handled Amsoil CVT that was red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back