Anyone use vegemite in recipes?

Back when I was on Christmas vacation I took some vegemite with me. Mom is a fan, as is stepdad. Mom was wondering if it could be used in cooking recipes. I eat vegemite on toast with scrambled eggs or one over easy egg

You can add vegemite to soups and stews to give some added zing. Remember, Vegemite is very salty. If you cook from scratch add the Vegemite before you add any salt, and if you use ready-to-use soup use a low sodium version.

The antipodes are very fond of vegemite sandwiches. Tried it once when I was in Darwin. Didn't care much for it myself but never told my hosts that.

1641754038852.jpg

“And he just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich……” ! Even after 40 years I’ve often wondered why he smiled when handing over a Vegemite sandwich. :sick:

Calling SR5 or Motion or Shannow
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.

As member vavavroom said above, you add it to things like stews, soups and casseroles. It's vegan, but it's flavour is umami (meaty - savoury), so a spoon full to a pot adds a depth and complexity to the dish without making it taste different, just better. I was making a pizza the other day, and short on toppings. So I spread a thin layer of vegemite over the base, then the tomato sauce, then grated cheese and a few olives. It tasted great, especially considering it was a scrap pizza. It didn't taste of vegemite, its just tasted pleasing and hearty.

Yes, it's high in salt (and vitamin B) but you can get a salt reduced vegemite (40% less salt) that is what we always buy for our household, and use daily.

In the Aus army, the combat ration packs (rat packs) always had a small tube of vegemite included in every pack.

You can add vegemite to soups and stews to give some added zing. Remember, Vegemite is very salty. If you cook from scratch add the Vegemite before you add any salt, and if you use ready-to-use soup use a low sodium version.

Just right...but I wouldn't call that toast.

When I've finished a jar of Vegemite, I put some hot water in it, give it a shake and pour it into a stew or whatever one pot I'm making.
Pardon me. I meant to say an untoasted slice of toast bread.

never tried it but its reported to be very nutritious + a good source of several nutrients! on a similar note i started consuming nutritional yeast tablets + even though i take a LOT of other GOODIES i feel it perks me up!! its said many nutrients are poorly absorbed as they are made from JUNK!! others from quality foods work better at smaller amounts!! always looking to improve my health!!

Back