Anyone use Baldwin/Hastings trans filter Ram 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on doing my first transmission service on my 14 Ram 1500 RWD with the 6 speed 65RFE, it has just over 60,000km now.

Been looking at transmission filters, I usually get Baldwin filters through my work for mostly everything I own, but i've never used their Transmission Filters. They seem to be on the cheaper end of the spectrum. I'm assuming the Hastings TF174 that RockAuto and Summit Racing sells is the exact same.

It is the same filter as the 545RFE so I guess that would apply too. This transmission has both the spin on filter and the sump filter.

19999.jpg

I can get Baldwin from my work for $18.88, the Fram FT1222 at the autoparts store is $39.29. The dealer wants $29.60 for the spin on and $55.80 for the sump filter.

Are all the transmission filters nowadays pretty much the same, just reboxed and rebranded? Would the Baldwin be good to use?

Last edited:
If I had a spin-on trans filter I wouldn't worry much (at all) about the sump filter. My bet is that the sump filter catches nuts, bolts, and rocks; the spin-on is where the real "filtering" happens.

I'd say just get the dealer spin-on filter, stick a couple rare-earth magnets on it, and call it better than necessary.

Last edited:
I installed an ATP filter kit in the 68RE in my 2012 Ram 2 years ago and haven't had any problems. The ATP kit said Made in USA on the box and I snagged it for less than $13 on Amazon.

When I bought the Mopar filters for my old 1500 the pan filter was just a Filtran unit. When I bought the Hastings pan filter for my Trailblazer, it was a Filtran as well.

If you get it I am sure it will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back