Anyone still using VALVOLINE NEXTGEN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its been like 2012 since Valvoline Nextgen came out. Wondering if any members are using up their stash of this oil. I used some Nextgen maxlife and Synpower flavors

Originally Posted by PimTac
Do they still make it? I haven't seen it for years.

I dont believe so. I was meaning did folks buy some of it to have in "the stash"

And are they using it up or....

Thank You

I still have a few quarts left in my stash. About 2 or 3 years ago, I bought about 20 quarts for between $0.89 and $1.19 a quart.. some 5w20, some 5w30.. some conventional, some synthetic, some HM.

It's good oil, for sure.

Also, AFAIK, they DO still make it, but it's not getting advertised and they don't make the "NextGen" name very big on the labels.

NextGen on Amazon

NextGen at WalMart

IIRC from back then, UOAs showed that NextGen didn't hold up as well as VWB, so no good for anything beyond 4-5000 miles(8100 km)

Originally Posted by JLTD
IIRC from back then, UOAs showed that NextGen didn't hold up as well as VWB, so no good for anything beyond 4-5000 miles(8100 km)

I don't remember Nextgen not holding up well....but I do remember that it's NOACK was high in virgin samples on PQIA.
If you find those UOAs I'd be interested in seeing them as I still have some in my stash and I'm debating what to use it in....

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by JLTD

I don't remember Nextgen not holding up well....but I do remember that it's NOACK was high in virgin samples on PQIA.
If you find those UOAs I'd be interested in seeing them as I still have some in my stash and I'm debating what to use it in....

Found a few, and they seem fine.

7300 miles in a Focus 2.0

8176 miles in a Fiesta 1.6

7577 miles in a Taurus 3.0Duratec

7750 miles in the same Taurus 3.0

I used them, they are fine. The Noack value probably means the re-refine process produce more of a certain viscosity (thicker) so they have to blend it with a more volatile one (thinner), or the other way around, so more will evaporate away.

For most cars it is no problem, but for the cars that I want the extra low Noack (i.e. direct inject that has carbon deposit intake valve issue), I usually buy synthetic 5w20 or 10w30 instead of the 0w20 or 5w30 the car spec for anyways.

I seem to remember the 5-20 had some shearing but not sure.
I bought all Wally had for 50 cents a qt after it sat on clearance for months.
Got about 40 qts and still have some that I use with no problems.
The problem wasn't the oil,it was the marketing and pricing.
It should not have been the same price as VWB, it should have been a little less and I think it would have sold better.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
It should not have been the same price as VWB, it should have been a little less and I think it would have sold better.

The point is, they can make VWB with re-refined base oil and not tell you about it. So why should they reduce the price? It is marketed toward the eco-conscious customers and the experiment proves that they are not eco-conscious when it is "their cars" after all. I wouldn't be surprised they are just going after the fleet market (municipal, large fleets) so the buyers can get some eco brownies points, or just blend it into the regular oil without telling people, and you can bet that everyone in the industry is doing it, not just Valvoline.

Last edited:
Still have a fair amount, been using it (mainly 10W40) in the Jeep with good results. The NextGen full synthetic seemed to burn off somewhat faster than the ML blend, been getting rid of the syn. Green walls still visible in the old garage!

Originally Posted by PandaBear

The point is, they can make VWB with re-refined base oil and not tell you about it. So why should they reduce the price? It is marketed toward the eco-conscious customers and the experiment proves that they are not eco-conscious when it is "their cars" after all. I wouldn't be surprised they are just going after the fleet market (municipal, large fleets) so the buyers can get some eco brownies points, or just blend it into the regular oil without telling people, and you can bet that everyone in the industry is doing it, not just Valvoline.
Safety-Kleen made (makes?) the base stock, they sell a LOT to government fleets-
https://www.safety-kleen.com/products-services/products/oils-and-lubricants/oils-and-lubricants-OLD
When it first came out, Valvoline Instant Oil Change was actually charging MORE for NextGen than VWB (not sure if they ever had NG ML), that didn't last long.

It costs the same to re-refine oil as to refine oil. Valvoline did not save money on basestocks.

Originally Posted by dave1251

It costs the same to re-refine oil as to refine oil. Valvoline did not save money on basestocks.

Except for, perhaps the cost of the source material. I don't know how much used motor oil costs, but I suspect it's cheaper than a barrel of crude.

Public perception is that anything recycled is lower quality.
If the price is the same I will buy new stuff everytime.

I used the last of mine about 2 years ago. I had a few jugs on clearance from Walmart and O'Reilly.

I actually still use one of the green jugs to collect the old oil from my scion for top-off oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back