Anyone ran Supertech/Fram 10,000 miles?

Since regular Supertech and Fram extraguard are advertising 10,000 miles of protection I was curious if anyone was using these filters for that long or leaving the filter on for more than one oil change. The manufacturers must have tested these filters beyond that 10,000 mile mark to ensure they are up to the task.

I do. I run the supertech 3506 cans for 10k and have been doing that for 90k in my gmc's without issue but my average mph is 50 plus so i do more highway miles but stop and go a bit.

Unless you drive in a super dusty area, have a super junk air filter and/or do tons of city miles I'd take them to that interval. There's a guy who took a sunkist can to 26k on yt a sort while back. I believe it.

These claims of 10/20K miles for oil filters and sometimes oil are marketing gimmicks. It would be nearly impossible for an owner to prove that one of these products absent an obvious defect was the cause for his engine failure. Probably any healthy engine can go to 10K many times with a mediocre oil filter and quality oil. A sick engine will fail predictably at sometime and the oil filter will just be an innocent bystander. Product liability is very difficult to establish except when the consequences are evident like an airbag failure (Takata), rollover issue Ford Explorer/tire pressure, gas tank design, Ford Pinto etc.

Treat advertising claims and your purchases guided by the doctrine of;

1626743439218.png

Last edited:
Number of Fram orange cans for 10k around here that did quite well. The Supertech filter appears to be quite similar to ACDelco filters, which GM can run out according to their OLM for 5-10k. The supertech/ACDelco while it has a nitrile ADBV it held the oil sealed even after 6-7k. I wouldn't expect any issues with either for 10k.

The rating on the oil [should] match the manufactures oil change recommendations for listed types of operation. Same with the filters. Buy major brands sleep at night.

I change the oil in my neighbors Nissan Frontier (2017.) He bought a stash of the WIX made Supertechs, not the newer ones. I constantly tell him to go no more than 7500 miles. Last time I changed it at 13, 700. He went 18,000 on the original oil fill.....

He works for a Landscaper and runs his own little landscape business on weekends. Always pulling a trailer loaded with lawn equipment.

Wix/supertech filter media was torn on last oil change, but I can't really blame the filter.

Number of Fram orange cans for 10k around here that did quite well. The Supertech filter appears to be quite similar to ACDelco filters, which GM can run out according to their OLM for 5-10k. The supertech/ACDelco while it has a nitrile ADBV it held the oil sealed even after 6-7k. I wouldn't expect any issues with either for 10k.
I have now used eight PF63E filters from 4k to 7k … most 6k … that shiny and pliable ADBV is holding back a quart of oil every time and media/internals look like this

B8F53796-6563-43AE-81D5-D1A32F26D136.jpeg

I treat those filters as a "5k mile filter" and rarely run those much more that 5-7k....Just my view and I am not saying they won't go 10k, I just prefer to run a better filter for longer changes.

Manufacturers are now recommending using the OLM to govern OCI length (& filter changes) which can be as long as 10,000 miles, so 10K seems to be the magic number for filters now. As always, engine condition governs all-the xB in my sig can go 10K (& has done TWENTY K) on the same filter with only minimal carbon in the filter, but a sludge maker or GDI engine might not be able to do 4K.

It would be interesting to know if aftermarket makers tests cars with filters for miles a filter can be used. I doubt they test any cars. It seems it would be based on filter capacity and their idea of grams per mile dirt production. Fram rep stated one gram per thousand miles. So a ten gram capacity filter gets a ten thousand mile sticker on the box. If you have a dirty running engine or use under bad conditions the miles don’t mean anything. Some people will run filters too long, some not long enough. I guess that’s why they always say “up to” whatever miles. No lawsuits.

Back