Anyone know how USPS Parcel Return Service works?

I've been trying to ship back a defective USB power pack (with a warranty replacement) back to mophie/ZAGG and I wasn't really all that sure of how it worked. I was informed that I had 60 days (probably from the start of my warranty return process) and I even got a message later that I had 45 days to return it - after I'd already sent it in.

The replacement came with a label for USPS Parcel Return Service. All it said was "USPS MAIL INNOVATIONS RETURNS" with a Washington, DC zip code (56935) that corresponds only to parcel return when I looked it up. The box already had the standard lithium battery info with phone numbers of the manufacturer and an emergency number, and I reused it. However, I took it to a local post office (in Berkeley, California) on July 30. I checked yesterday (August 10) and it said that it was at a USPS distribution center in Oakland which seemed kind of bizarre. I checked again and got this message (I blocked out the exact time - just paranoid):

Status
Delivered to Agent
August 10, 2020 at XX:XX am​
Tendered to Returns Agent​
OAKLAND, CA 94615​
Your item has been tendered to the returns agent at XX:XX am on August 10, 2020 in OAKLAND, CA 94615. The Postal Service no longer has the item and no further tracking updates are expected.​

I've never used this before. Besides the fact that it seemed like it was taking 11 days to get from Berkeley to Oakland, they're sending it to a return agent in Oakland after all that time? I guess the zip code doesn't really matter when they work with the company to distribute the package without specifically letting the sender know where it's going?

I googled "USPS MAIL INNOVATIONS RETURNS" and got results for "UPS MAIL INNOVATIONS."

Maybe this will help? FAQ for UPS Innovations

OK. I get it. It's apparently a UPS return service. I can track it with the same USPS tracking number. Doesn't explain why it took that long to get from Berkeley to Oakland though. UPS isn't tracking the shipment yet.

Thanks.

I've gotten packages the opposite way--UPS delivers to the post office, and then my mail carrier brings them to my house. In that case, the UPS tracking will say something like "delivered to post office" but there can be some lag time before the package actually shows up.

I've gotten packages the opposite way--UPS delivers to the post office, and then my mail carrier brings them to my house. In that case, the UPS tracking will say something like "delivered to post office" but there can be some lag time before the package actually shows up.

Well - this was all part of a warranty return service, although it was kind of confusing. My replacement item was tracked through FedEx and finally delivered by USPS after being handed over for the last mile. But the shipping label was UPS. Not sure how all of that works.

I'm starting to understand that everything is probably just arranged without the customer knowing any of the details, like where the package is actually headed.

Last edited:
Mail innovations is where they use part UPS and part USPS, i believe the package goes via UPS to that big facility, then is offloaded to USPS for the final leg of delivery and somehow this is cheaper.

Mail innovations is where they use part UPS and part USPS, i believe the package goes via UPS to that big facility, then is offloaded to USPS for the final leg of delivery and somehow this is cheaper.

In my case it was USPS for pickup and then UPS for the final delivery. Or at least I think it's the case. But I checked USPS for tracking info and found that it was delivered to UPS Mail Innovations a week ago and that I'd get no more updates because they didn't have it. However, I checked again today and it says it was delivered to the "merchant" in Kalamazoo, MI on August 13. I now get that this is all coordinated through databases and the "address" on the shipping label didn't really matter.

ZAGG still doesn't state that they have it yet. I checked my product status and it still says return required although I'm not sure that status will ever update. Maybe I'll get an email from ZAGG that they have it and/or have checked that I returned the defective item.

A lot of this snail mail to UPS/Fedex does not have update along the way.
It is just when it is received, suddenly, it will show up right before delivery (if you are lucky) or just say "delivered".
In the case of Fedex, sometimes, it does not even go to the USPS.
Fedex can decide to deliver it.

A lot of this snail mail to UPS/Fedex does not have update along the way.
It is just when it is received, suddenly, it will show up right before delivery (if you are lucky) or just say "delivered".
In the case of Fedex, sometimes, it does not even go to the USPS.
Fedex can decide to deliver it.
FedEx can even retrieve it back from the USPS once handed over for delivery. They just did that for a package last week.

Back