Anyone have a scangauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a few of us have them. Different functions with different makes.

Works well, reads/clears codes well and if you calibrate it fairly accurate for MPG. (within 1 mpg)

Bill

Yup. One of the first things I bought for my car was a SGII. I love it. Very useful. I also have an old original SG I keep around for diagnosis purposes.

I've had mine since last September and love it. Real-time feedback on everything from ambient air intake temperature readings, to accurate and precise coolant temp, to instantaneous fuel consumption - plus its built in code reader. I've found its fuel consumption readouts to be very accurate (to within less than 1 mpg), and its a useful tool to track fuel usage habits and improve on them as well.

Can't think of any negatives on it at all.

-Spyder

Same as the others have said. I've had my SGII for about 3 years, and have no complaints about it.

Get one, and I'd bet your fuel mileage goes up a pretty substantial amount.

My Scangauge died after about 4 years of use. I decided to try the Ultra Gauge because of the price advantage, and found that I much prefer the Ultra Gauge. Bigger, easier to read and navigate, and much less expensive.

I have a Scan Gauge II in my Silverado and it works great. I bought an Ultra Gauge for the girlfriend's Grand Prix and she seems to like it. I like the look of the Ultra Gauge's display better than the Scan Gauge though, but I will still keep using my Scan Gauge till it dies.

I love my SGII. I use it on my Jeep as well as when fixing other people's vehicles. Really good for getting accurate readings on vehicles with dummy gauges such as fords.

I plan to get a ScanGauge this year. I looked at the Ultra-Gauge, but it doesn't look like it'll be as easy to mount. The SGII is low and wide, and will sit on a strip of velcro on the flat top of my steering column. The U-G looks to mount primarily with the suction cup (which I don't do). And if I mount it flat against the dash on velcro, you can't access the buttons (why are they on the back?).

I have mine on top of the steering column too, its a good spot for it. I also use it to display my actual speed when I've got different sized tires on.
Also it saves the maximum speed, and rpm the car has done for the last trip/or day or tank of gas. Good for seeing if the repair shop has been thrashing your sports car, I always check too but no one bothers with my beater, lol.

I've had a ScanGaugeII in the Buick for about 2.5 years now. It's paid for itself many times over in fuel savings. It's also nice to see other gauges since the factory cluster is a gas gauge and speedometer, both of which lie like dogs.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I've had a ScanGaugeII in the Buick for about 2.5 years now. It's paid for itself many times over in fuel savings.

I'm curious as to how it helps save fuel. Is it that it helps the driver learn more economical throttle technique by displaying instantaneous MPG?

My girlfriend's Subaru has a computer with an MPG readout and I do not find it to be helpful.

Still want an UltraGauge, though, just because I like all the trip computer functions like Time To Destination, also clearing Check Engine Lights....

It's not the device that saves fuel, the device shows the driver how to save fuel. Mostly by keeping a lighter foot on (or off) the throttle.

Am also thinking of installing one. Mostly to keep an eye on the engine such as the temperature.

I have had one for two years. I just like having lots of gauges to pick from in a small display. I don't really use it to save fuel...usually the gauges I have on the display are not fuel-related.

My only complaint is that the Velcro is starting to peel off after two years.

I know this is a 2 year old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

I got a Scangauge during the Amazon Lightning Deal sale and just filled up for the 2nd time since using it. For the first time ever, my car got 17.8 mpg toting around with mostly stop and go traffic. It rarely breaks 16 mpg doing the exact same kind of driving. Most of the time it's mid-15s running on 93 octane. Of course, I'll have to see if this continues since it is still early, but I was ecstatic when A-car calculated the mileage. I essentially saved a gallon of gas. That's all
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back